Adversity essay advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

comedianintraining

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
For my adversity essay, I'm considering writing about dealing with homophobia from my mother after coming out to her and then channeling my disappointment into working to deconstruct heteronormativity and emphasizing mental health in my sorority leadership position. Is that enough of a "growth" from this adversity or does it sound too superficial? Is it too personal to discuss my relationship with my mother? Should I keep it more vague and just talk about homophobia in general? Additionally, I've only had one semester of bad grades, and it was the semester that I came out to her, because it had a detrimental effect on my mental health. Should I mention that or avoid it? Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

This is a perfect topic.

Generally, it's not a good idea to draw attention to a negative, but it's worth mentioning the grades from your coming out in the essay as cementing the adversity. A LOR writer can also mention this. Don't mention the affect on mental health; a reader can pick up on this just by reading your story and examining your transcript.

Your story is not unique but LGBT are considered URM at a fair number of schools, and I've had gay students who got kicked out of the home after coming out, so I empathize with your experiences.

Reactions: 1 user
This is a perfect topic.

Generally, it's not a good idea to draw attention to a negative, but it's worth mentioning the grades from your coming out in the essay as cementing the adversity. A LOR writer can also mention this. Don't mention the affect on mental health; a reader can pick up on this just by reading your story and examining your transcript.

Your story is not unique but LGBT are considered URM at a fair number of schools, and I've had gay students who got kicked out of the home after coming out, so I empathize with your experiences.
Thank you!

Reactions: 1 user