Adversity Essay

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CrossFit1221

Reaction score
Trying to pick a topic for the adversity essay and I was thinking about writing about my recent trip to Guatemala. I was responsible for getting the vitals of children. Since we didn't have enough translators I was left with my little knowledge of spanish to converse with them. Is the language barrier too common of a topic? Or should I do something like having to lead my student government meetings which was difficult because I am not good at public speaking?

Members don't see this ad.

Guatemala, no.
Public speaking, hmm..maybe?
Do you have a third option?

Guatemala, no.
Public speaking, hmm..maybe?
Do you have a third option?
Umm I don't know. I guess moving into an apartment on my own and learning to manage my finances. Or when my dad lost his job and I tried to pitch in by working overtime.
Can you explain why no for the Guatemala? I was going to say how I used the assistance of other volunteers and practiced phrases during our breaks. I'm just wondering why it wouldn't be a good one.

Members don't see this ad :)
Umm I don't know. I guess moving into an apartment on my own and learning to manage my finances. Or when my dad lost his job and I tried to pitch in by working overtime.
Can you explain why no for the Guatemala? I was going to say how I used the assistance of other volunteers and practiced phrases during our breaks. I'm just wondering why it wouldn't be a good one.

It's just my opinion so if you feel very strongly towards the Guatemala story then go for it. I am personally not a believer of medical tourism, and I know people who agree that a one/two-week trip isn't going to change anything.
I think your third option is better. You get lots of flexibility with it. You can talk about how you deal with stress (financial hardship), radiate optimism (cheering your father up), are a responsible person (offer help to relieve financial burden for your family), persistent (work long hours). There are so many ways you can go with this topic.

Reactions: 1 user
It's just my opinion so if you feel very strongly towards the Guatemala story then go for it. I am personally not a believer of medical tourism, and I know people who agree that a one/two-week trip isn't going to change anything.
I think your third option is better. You get lots of flexibility with it. You can talk about how you deal with stress (financial hardship), radiate optimism (cheering your father up), are a responsible person (offer help to relieve financial burden for your family), persistent (work long hours). There are so many ways you can go with this topic.
It's not that I felt strongly about it. I totally agree that 2 weeks doesn't make the most significant change in the grand scheme of things. It was just an easy challenge for me to think of. It was difficult for me to talk to people in a language I am not fluent in. But I agree with the points you bring up with the other option. I'll just have to think about how to construct it further.

It's not that I felt strongly about it. I totally agree that 2 weeks doesn't make the most significant change in the grand scheme of things. It was just an easy challenge for me to think of. It was difficult for me to talk to people in a language I am not fluent in. But I agree with the points you bring up with the other option. I'll just have to think about how to construct it further.
yeah, I understand. I am not a native English speaker myself, and I feel language barrier every day. But the third option is just more unique in my opinion, and it is true to who you are as a person.