Advice for a Neurotic Post-Bac

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rj212

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm new here and would like to gain some perspective from everyone (especially from those who have applied and were accepted somewhere...unfortunately, many pre-meds have unrealistic ideas of this whole process).

Here's my deal. Graduated last year from an ivy with a psych degree. GPA 3.73. Nothing below an A- in my psych classes. Finally decided to take the required courses for medical school. I'm back at my school and have had a rough year trying to balance personal stress,studying, and paying rent. Unfortunately I got two bad grades and now my science GPA is at about a 3.2. I truly believe that I can buckle down and do well next year and am aiming for a science GPA in the 3.3 -3.48 range. Considering that standardized tests are my strong point, I plan to study v. hard for the MCAT and feel confident about the test, especially the verbal section. As for experience, I was in a research seminar at school that had me working at a toddler center year round. I also worked at an outpatient program within a hospital doing group therapy (DBT modality) and tutoring youth who were mentally ill and had substance abuse problems. I have lots of experience with special needs children and nanny to help pay rent. Right now I work in a neuroscience lab doing amazing research.

So here's my question. What are my chances??? I'm not looking to go to some top-tier school...a medical degree is a medical degree no matter where you go and I already have a "prestigious degree." I am a NY resident and although NY has so many schools, I hear it's so competitive. All these crazy post-bacs make me feel that if I end up with a 3.3 science GPA it's the end of the world.

Members don't see this ad.

rj212 said:
Hi there,

I'm new here and would like to gain some perspective from everyone (especially from those who have applied and were accepted somewhere...unfortunately, many pre-meds have unrealistic ideas of this whole process).

Here's my deal. Graduated last year from an ivy with a psych degree. GPA 3.73. Nothing below an A- in my psych classes. Finally decided to take the required courses for medical school. I'm back at my school and have had a rough year trying to balance personal stress,studying, and paying rent. Unfortunately I got two bad grades and now my science GPA is at about a 3.2. I truly believe that I can buckle down and do well next year and am aiming for a science GPA in the 3.3 -3.48 range. Considering that standardized tests are my strong point, I plan to study v. hard for the MCAT and feel confident about the test, especially the verbal section. As for experience, I was in a research seminar at school that had me working at a toddler center year round. I also worked at an outpatient program within a hospital doing group therapy (DBT modality) and tutoring youth who were mentally ill and had substance abuse problems. I have lots of experience with special needs children and nanny to help pay rent. Right now I work in a neuroscience lab doing amazing research.

So here's my question. What are my chances??? I'm not looking to go to some top-tier school...a medical degree is a medical degree no matter where you go and I already have a "prestigious degree." I am a NY resident and although NY has so many schools, I hear it's so competitive. All these crazy post-bacs make me feel that if I end up with a 3.3 science GPA it's the end of the world.

Are you applying this year??

Submit your AMCAS ASAP. Dont wait until the August MCAT (which Im assuming u will take).

Since you've worked at a lab, have you had an opportunity to be published?

Your going to do well.

As a post-bac, it's essential that you nail your science courses. I'm assuming that you're taking the basics: Gen Chem, Bio, Orgo, and Physics? Get rid of the distractions of ECs and settle for one, and maybe take Biochem or Genetics to prove to AdComs that you have the scientific aptitude. Being a nonscience major, you have to prove to them that you can do the work. It's possible, don't freak out yet, but don't make the same mistake twice. Good luck! :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think it will be a disaster to have a 3.3 science gpa, but why aren't you aiming a little higher? I think you need to aim for A's in all your remaining post-bac classes, and then if you get some B's along the way, just let it go and keep doing your best.

Also, I wouldn't be overconfident about the MCAT verbal. Not all verbal tests are the same, and the one on the MCAT is different from other ones you might have taken. I did quite a bit better on the GRE verbal than on the MCAT verbal, and I was a humanities major all the way. The way the verbal test is scored, one wrong question can bring you down a whole point or two, and some of those questions are too ambiguous to have only one definitively correct answer. (At least that is my feeling.) So anyway, I wouldn't count on the verbal.

Well anyway, don't worry so much about what other post-bacc students say, just do your best.

Study like mad for the MCAT, apply early, and apply everywhere. okay, not really everywhere, but be sure to apply to a wide range (use the GPA*10+MCAT formula to see where you stand compared to the school's average MCAT scores and GPA). You've got well-rounded experiences and your low-ish GPA isn't enough to kill your app. I think if you go all-out on the application process (turn your app in early, complete all your secondaries on time, have your letters of rec ready to go), you have an excellent shot at getting in. and this is coming from a CA resident with a 3.0 science GPA, no volunteer/clinical experience (but tons of research) who will be attending an allo school in the fall (and no, it's not in the carribean).

Your Science BMCP GPA along with your MCAT will most likely be the most important factors on your application. Some get in with GPAs below 3.3 but your chances are low...no matter how many ECs you have. I assume that you did not do well in the basic Bio and Chem courses, so the road won't get any easier with Orgo. Don't give up and allocate whatever time you need to improve you BMCP GPA.

I realize now I just bit off more than I could chew. I have decided that instead of trying to cram like 13.5 science credits in one semester, I'm going to take it easier and space out my classes. I really think that's the key to getting those A's I want. Btw, as a post-bac, do you suggest I take biochemistry?

I was itching so much to get these pre-reqs out the way, but realize now that an extra year is a far better idea. I'll have more time to prepare for the MCAT (thanks for the verbal advice). Also, I love my job and the thought of having more time to take on more research and get published is exciting.