Advice for a veteran

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kenyonmedic

Reaction score
So I would first like to say I have visited my pre health advisor, but getting definitive answers seems awkwardly difficult. If any of you reading this can provide some insight I will be very grateful.

- Service: 4 years as a medic in the 82nd airborne (army)
- my numbers: 90 credit hours, GPA: 3.803. Science/BCPM: 3.873 (https://medicalschoolhq.net). 18 months as a research assistant to a kinesiology professor, 130 hours volunteer tutoring,

Questions:

1) My major is nutrition science with a minor in mathematics. I love math, but I have 2 concerns. The first is that a biology minor would be more favorably viewed on my application. The second, and ultimately more important to me personally, is that a biology minor would prepare me for medical school better, and I would be a better clinician with advanced classes in genetics and micro biology that I otherwise won’t take. Can someone give me input on how useful advanced biology courses are as a foundation in medical school concepts?

2) Does anyone know of a good resource for veteran % acceptance rates or % of total class population for medical schools. I am finding it is rare to find published % values for veterans, but when I do it is in the minorities section of the school’s application page.

3) Should I assume medical schools will accept or want letters of recommendation from the PAs and Doctors I worked under in the military? What about any of the officers or non commissioned officers I worked under (they are the equivalent to the boss of a company or professor in charge of a research team)

4) I am in Texas, I was planning on pushing hard for a public school like UT because of the Hazelwood act. My pre-med advisors are not very familiar with it or other veteran benefits. Does anyone know any good resources for post bachelors tuition assistance programs for veterans inside or outside of Texas.

5) do medical schools want any weird paperwork from the army other than a DD214 that I should be aware of now?

To those who read all of that, thank you for your time!

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, medical schools will accept letters from PAs and doctors from the military. In fact, I highly recommend you use them. Dd214 should cover pretty much everything. If you apply DO, you can add proof of your certifications and CTEs.

Don't recommend getting letters from NCOs or PAs. Doctors only, and from your commander (BN CDR if you can swing it), professors, and research supervisor. That should round you out well for letters.

Can't tell you acceptance percentages, but they do give military percentage in the class composition section of the MSAR. I would buy access to that the year you apply.

Biology courses may help you on the MCAT, but the minor won't really change your application from what I've read. The math is good, again from what I've read. But your number 1 focus right now should be killing the MCAT and increasing your volunteer hours. Some people say that military counts for volunteering, but if you have the time, you should get out in the community more outside of the military!

When you apply, you have to send your Joint Services Transcript to AMCAS. It's pretty easy to find on google.

I don't know about TA honestly; if you're already out, I don't think there is any, esp if you've used up all of your GI.
Than you so much for the information. I will start contacting the Surgeon I had a good working relationship with to ask for a letter of recommendation. I never spoke personally with my BN commander, but I will see about getting a letter of recommendation. I have scheduled 1 hour of volunteer hours per week as a chemistry tutor. I will absolutely try to keep increasing those hours, but there’s no way I can fit it in until after the MCAT. Have a great day, and thank you again!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Than you so much for the information. I will start contacting the Surgeon I had a good working relationship with to ask for a letter of recommendation. I never spoke personally with my BN commander, but I will see about getting a letter of recommendation. I have scheduled 1 hour of volunteer hours per week as a chemistry tutor. I will absolutely try to keep increasing those hours, but there’s no way I can fit it in until after the MCAT. Have a great day, and thank you again!
You can also use any volunteering you did with the military. We did Toys for Tots ever year plus we would set up community health centers and do overseas medical missions

Get a degree you enjoy and can get a job with if medical school doesn't work out. The extra courses won't make you a better clinician - you'll learn them in medical school and residency.

Roughly 1.5% of all medical school seats are vets, but I have not found an acceptance rate.

I would add more noon clinical volunteering with less fortunate people - homeless shelter, soup kitchen, habitat for Humanity, etc. Tutoring is helpful, but not as good as working with disadvantaged folks.

A letter from your company commander / or a supervisor that can speak to your work ethic is awesome, and some schools require it. PA letters are less useful. Physician letters are not very useful at MD schools.

JST (military coursework) can be found and submitted online to AMCAS, who received mine in like 4 days. You have to wait for the application system to open before sending it.

Get a degree you enjoy and can get a job with if medical school doesn't work out. The extra courses won't make you a better clinician - you'll learn them in medical school and residency.

Roughly 1.5% of all medical school seats are vets, but I have not found an acceptance rate.

I would add more noon clinical volunteering with less fortunate people - homeless shelter, soup kitchen, habitat for Humanity, etc. Tutoring is helpful, but not as good as working with disadvantaged folks.

A letter from your company commander / or a supervisor that can speak to your work ethic is awesome, and some schools require it. PA letters are less useful. Physician letters are not very useful at MD schools.

JST (military coursework) can be found and submitted online to AMCAS, who received mine in like 4 days. You have to wait for the application system to open before sending it.
I've never heard that LORs from physicians being not useful. What's your reasoning for that?

The first is that a biology minor would be more favorably viewed on my application

Nope. No one is going to sway with a minor, regardless of what it's in.

biology minor would prepare me for medical school better, and I would be a better clinician with advanced classes in genetics and micro biology that I otherwise won’t take

Nope. How you are as a clinician is not going to be based upon undergrad coursework. It's going to be how hard you study in medical school and your personality, and how the two mesh when working with patients.

Should I assume medical schools will accept or want letters of recommendation from the PAs and Doctors I worked under in the military?

Yes, but since it's for med school, get them from Dr's, not PA's.

do medical schools want any weird paperwork from the army other than a DD214 that I should be aware of now?

No. There will be boxes to check for military vets, but no where to send in a DD214 unless that's changed since I matriculated. Your service will additionally come to life in your personal statement, work, activities, etc depending on what you write about as well as with your joint service transcript that you may send in to AMCAS and/or AACOMAS.

Yes, medical schools will accept letters from PAs and doctors from the military. In fact, I highly recommend you use them. Dd214 should cover pretty much everything. If you apply DO, you can add proof of your certifications and CTEs.
Thank you!

You can also use any volunteering you did with the military. We did Toys for Tots ever year plus we would set up community health centers and do overseas medical missions
I did yard work for a disabled veteran once a month for about 2 years. I build him a fence, gutters, removed some weird poisonous plants, racked leaves and such. I’ll remember to include that.

As long as you meet the prereqs you're fine. I got accepted with an online degree for emergency medical care, I didn't take genetics or micro. Do I think they would have helped me on the MCAT and during MS1? Absolutely, everyone I know who took those classes had a better foundation in those subjects than me. I just did my normal studying though and have been above average on each test.

For LOR, I just met the standard school ones and added one awesome physician letter from an LTC. I recommend sticking to letters from docs maybe throw in one from your CoC if you think you need it.

Texas schools love veterans. You still need to meet the MCAT requirements, but it is something that makes you stand out. Apply early. I retook the MCAT in August and wasn't verified till September. Luckily I still ended up with 3 Texas interviews; TT El Paso, UNT, and UTMB.

I am doing HPSP and the Chapter 30 Montgomery GI Bill simultaneously, makes it very nice to not have to pull out student loans. If I didn't do HPSP, my plan was to use the Hazelwood and Chapter 30 at the same time. I want to say my first year here was 33 hours and the second was 38, so the Hazelwood may cover all 4 years. If you want more info on this just let me know.

As long as you meet the prereqs you're fine. I got accepted with an online degree for emergency medical care, I didn't take genetics or micro. Do I think they would have helped me on the MCAT and during MS1? Absolutely, everyone I know who took those classes had a better foundation in those subjects than me. I just did my normal studying though and have been above average on each test.

For LOR, I just met the standard school ones and added one awesome physician letter from an LTC. I recommend sticking to letters from docs maybe throw in one from your CoC if you think you need it.

Texas schools love veterans. You still need to meet the MCAT requirements, but it is something that makes you stand out. Apply early. I retook the MCAT in August and wasn't verified till September. Luckily I still ended up with 3 Texas interviews; TT El Paso, UNT, and UTMB.

I am doing HPSP and the Chapter 30 Montgomery GI Bill simultaneously, makes it very nice to not have to pull out student loans. If I didn't do HPSP, my plan was to use the Hazelwood and Chapter 30 at the same time. I want to say my first year here was 33 hours and the second was 38, so the Hazelwood may cover all 4 years. If you want more info on this just let me know.
UTMB must have vets bc I interviewed there a few weeks ago