Advice For MCAT Newbie

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zgotham1

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

So I am a junior right now and I've lately been having cold feet about applying to PA schools due to my underlying goal to become a physician. Long story short, entered into college in the 4+3 Doctor of Physical Therapy Program, realized I didn't want to pursue rehab but rather medicine, however i never thought i was smart enough to become a Doctor so i opted into PA studies. (This is not saying that PA school is the easy route, because by no means necessary is it easy ). Like i stated earlier above, im now having cold feet about it because I dont want to live my life on "what if." After having a talk with my advisor I'm leaning towards pursuing medical school.

Now me being a Junior kind of messes up the typical timeline of application. As a Pre-PA I have covered almost all necessary topics for the MCAT, but im just lagging on Physics I, II and Biochem. I will be taking Physics over the summer or filling it in during my senior year, so i would most likely be taking the MCAT after I graduate. This leads my to my actual questions now.

What did you find was the best way to review for this prestigious exam? I will most likely need A LOT of content reviewing especially with the biological sciences/ chems (gen and orgo). Any study method recommendations? Schedules? Books? Possible courses? Anything will help as im feeling a bit flustered!

Stats so far in college cum GPA: 3.715 SciGPA: 3.66, so my MCAT needs to be pretty good in order to apply to possible MD but most likely DO programs near me. (LECOM being one of them).

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

your GPA is fine for MD; also, LECOM should be researched extensively before thinking about them

as for MCAT prep - there is a whole stickied section here for different ways people studied; the best one is the one that you stick with and includes full length practice exams from the AAMC

It's not a memorize and regurgitate information/ content test; it's dense passages which may, or mostly may not, make any sense but embedded in the passage ARE things you should know it's getting through the mess to get to that information to answer the questions

Reactions: 1 user