Advice for shadowing Neurosurgeon

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jessgabs

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an incoming pre med student (I know I'm really young), and I have been given the opportunity to shadow a neurosurgeon in clinic at UMich Ann Arbor. Considering I haven't had much experience with this, i have a few questions.
1 .What do I wear? (I'm a girl)
2. Will I be asked any questions? (and to what extent of knowledge)
3. If you could share any of your experiences shadowing a neurosurgeon or similar
4. What kind of stuff will I be observing?
Thanks in advance for your help! :)

Members don't see this ad.

These are questions you ask the surgeon and his staff before you start.

1. Same thing you'd wear to a career fair, or semi formal event (girl version of khakis, dress shirt and tie) assuming you aren't watching a surgery.
2. Probably, but you won't be expected to know anything really.
3. You're just going to stand in a corner and watch a physician explain things to patients. Listen and take note of how he interacts with his patients.
4. Patients who may or may not need neurosurgery.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Dress business casual for the first day and then ask about future dress codes! Even if you go for the actual surgeries, you come to the hospital dressed nice, and you will then have an opportunity to change into scrubs when the time comes.
If you're incoming pre-med you won't be expected to know a damn thing, so don't worry! Just be attentive and only ask questions when you're OUTSIDE of the patient's room.

Reactions: 1 users
dress nice, nice shoes, and bring comfortable and not gnarly sneakers/comfortable to stand in for hours shoes for the OR in your bag if they have you change into scrubs

closed toe in both cases

1. If you are watching surgeries then dress nice and then you will wear scrubs.

2. No, just enjoy it. Feel free to ask questions though, just outside the patients room or between surgeries when the surgeon is occupied.

3. Most of them are really chill, but it depends on the surgeon. Get a feel for their personality. The one I was with basically said he wanted to treat me like a medical student and talked me through the procedure, it was pretty cool.

4. Back surgeries forever. If you're in the clinic then you will see people who need back surgery.

I'm an incoming pre med student (I know I'm really young), and I have been given the opportunity to shadow a neurosurgeon in clinic at UMich Ann Arbor. Considering I haven't had much experience with this, i have a few questions.
1 .What do I wear? (I'm a girl)
2. Will I be asked any questions? (and to what extent of knowledge)
3. If you could share any of your experiences shadowing a neurosurgeon or similar
4. What kind of stuff will I be observing?
Thanks in advance for your help! :)

1. Unless it is explicitly agreed upon that you will only be shadowing in the OR, wear something professional. If you might be going into the OR, wear comfortable non-heeled shoes (you will be able to put shoe covers on to protect them, but they don't always work perfectly so don't wear shoes that are too expensive or fancy).

2. They aren't going to expect you to know anything

3. I've shadowed a lot of neurosurgeons; all very positive experiences. You won't be able to see too much, especially if it's minimally invasive spine, but if it's a craniotomy, you'll get a nice view of the brain.

4. Depends on what the surgeon does. Do-it-all-yourself neurosurgeons are becoming rarer, as is the case in most specialties. Look up the surgeon you're shadowing and see what types of procedures they do or what types of patients they primarily see.

@^^

How should your interactions with the physician go (for any shadowing experience)..should I mostly just watch or is it recommended to try and ask questions? Is a letter of recommendation from the physician special at all for med school admissions?

@^^

How should your interactions with the physician go (for any shadowing experience)..should I mostly just watch or is it recommended to try and ask questions? Is a letter of recommendation from the physician special at all for med school admissions?

Ask the physician right when you meet them - just be like "if I have any questions, when would be a good time to ask them, and when would not be?"

Different doctors will have different preferences. Some want to be talking to you the entire time while others will only want to at certain points, or even not at all until the end.

There is no value in a letter of recommendation from someone whom you have only a shadowing relationship with.

You are shadowing in clinic? Generally, just wear something nice that you'd wear to a job interview or to court. You'll likely just be asked about your background and your interest in medicine. Clinic tends to be a combination of pre-operative patients diagnosis disorders and determining if they need surgery as well as post-ops who just need to be checked on. Enjoy!

1) @WedgeDawg has a great point- ask them when it would be appropriate to ask questions.

2) Carry a notepad to write down questions, if you have any. Overall, the point is to observe what they do, so don't spend too much time in the notebook.

3) Attire: where something you would wear to job fair/interview.

4) If clinic, you may see consults/referrals, post-op followups, etc. At some point (maybe towards the end), inquire about coming to the OR. I know, I know, HIPPA is a bi*ch these days and getting into an OR for non-med personnel in many places seems tougher than getting into medical school...

To be honest, it'll be hard to anticipate what questions you'll have- I mean, that's why you're going to shadow, correct? Have fun with it. Neurosurgery is a blast, and a very small field with a lot of hardcore passion for it. Whether rounding, being in clinic, or in the OR, I'm never bored, simply because the nervous system is incredible- it's our hardwiring. Take the day to appreciate role that surgery has in treating the patients. Also, maybe watch some videos about days in the shoes of a neurosurgeon, etc. You'll have different videos, but it'll give you some insight into the field. Hell, maybe a google search on neurosurgery can help you learn a bit more about the scope covered by neurosurgery. Pretty cool ****. Have fun!