Advice for the path through general surgery to fellowship and beyond?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bob123451

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just wanted to see if you experienced fellas can shed some light on my situation. I am a US-IMG from the beans and thank god I matched into categorical general surgery at a smaller program in Baltimore. I had originally gone overseas directly after high school, long story short I finished the BS/MD program in 6 years and will be starting residency this summer. Big mistake? Not sure but I've stayed afloat so far however limited options - I would agree. Ill admit I did very well on my step exams (260+ on both) and I guess really worked hard to prove myself throughout my clinical years/interviews and I am very fortunate to have this opportunity at my age and education background. In hindsight I would never do what I did, it was a huge risk that I did not realize prior to joining the system.

I like general surgery a lot, I think it's a great field and I feel like the foundation I build with my residency will help me be the best doctor possible with a well rounded education. I have read places that about 80% of general surgeons pursue fellowship. Is this true?

What type of fellowship options do I have keeping in mind that again I am a US-IMG coming from a smaller community program in Bmore (I'll be spending 10% of my training at Hopkins,UMD)? I guess my real question is how does the whole fellowship process work and what must I do to make myself competitive? I know I must survive general surgery, but I like to have a goal in mind to keep me on track and motivate myself to push harder to do well on the ABSITE. My program does not have a built in research year, but I am hoping to see if I can manage to get a year. Do you guys think that is even possible? At this time I have interests in oncology and reconstruction, but I know for damn sure these are going to be super difficult.

Also honestly, how will the job market be for someone with my background (USIMG, 6 year BS/MD, community program ext.) I was raised in a large DC suburb and I want to return one day.

Being a part of such a ****ty system has given me a constant toxic anxiety about the next chapters in my life.
Thank you for your time guys, I know yall are busy. I want to be realistic with myself so please help me start my residency in the right direction!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

Just wanted to see if you experienced fellas can shed some light on my situation. I am a US-IMG from the beans and thank god I matched into categorical general surgery at a smaller program in Baltimore. I had originally gone overseas directly after high school, long story short I finished the BS/MD program in 6 years and will be starting residency this summer. Big mistake? Not sure but I've stayed afloat so far however limited options - I would agree. Ill admit I did very well on my step exams (260+ on both) and I guess really worked hard to prove myself throughout my clinical years/interviews and I am very fortunate to have this opportunity at my age and education background. In hindsight I would never do what I did, it was a huge risk that I did not realize prior to joining the system.

I like general surgery a lot, I think it's a great field and I feel like the foundation I build with my residency will help me be the best doctor possible with a well rounded education. I have read places that about 80% of general surgeons pursue fellowship. Is this true?

What type of fellowship options do I have keeping in mind that again I am a US-IMG coming from a smaller community program in Bmore (I'll be spending 10% of my training at Hopkins,UMD)? I guess my real question is how does the whole fellowship process work and what must I do to make myself competitive? I know I must survive general surgery, but I like to have a goal in mind to keep me on track and motivate myself to push harder to do well on the ABSITE. My program does not have a built in research year, but I am hoping to see if I can manage to get a year. Do you guys think that is even possible? At this time I have interests in oncology and reconstruction, but I know for damn sure these are going to be super difficult.

Also honestly, how will the job market be for someone with my background (USIMG, 6 year BS/MD, community program ext.) I was raised in a large DC suburb and I want to return one day.

Being a part of such a ****ty system has given me a constant toxic anxiety about the next chapters in my life.
Thank you for your time guys, I know yall are busy. I want to be realistic with myself so please help me start my residency in the right direction!!!

Do well in your program and get a feel for the different areas. If you want to specialize, then look at your options. Work hard, do well on the ABSITE, and you'll have some options open to you.

As for the job market? Once you get into residency, your med school matters less. Future jobs care more about your residency and fellowship than med school.