Advice Needed (My Predicament)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SGDentalReborn

Reaction score
Hello everyone! First, I'd like to thank you for taking the time to read this!

I am just going to dive into this since I'm not quite sure where to start. I started my undergrad career with the hopes of going into the medical field, but along the way some things happened which caused me to get dropped from the college due to low grades. These things included a not-so-great friend group and a drug problem. Anyway, I reapplied and appealed and got back in school, however, I stopped taking classes because I didn't feel "all in".

Fast forward a year and a half and I am a completely changed person; drug-free, good support group, and a small friend circle. I worked for about a year and have now decided that I want to continue where I left off and start working to get into dental school.

So that is my situation. Low GPA and almost 0 science classes. I know that I am capable of taking pre-reqs such as Chem, Bio, OChem, etc., and I know that I can do well in them. This Fall quarter has just started, and I am taking Gen Chem and Bio at a community college.

My questions are:
1) If I succeed in my classes and do very well, do I have a legitimate shot at getting into dental school? (considering DATs go well)
2) What should be my plan right now? Just work on getting the pre-req classes done with and get ready to take the DAT in a year or so?

Any help would be appreciated greatly. I am finally in a right state of mind to achieve my educational goals and know that I can truly be succesful. I guess I am just looking for some reassurance.
Again, ANYTHING would be appreciated. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone! First, I'd like to thank you for taking the time to read this!

I am just going to dive into this since I'm not quite sure where to start. I started my undergrad career with the hopes of going into the medical field, but along the way some things happened which caused me to get dropped from the college due to low grades. These things included a not-so-great friend group and a drug problem. Anyway, I reapplied and appealed and got back in school, however, I stopped taking classes because I didn't feel "all in".

Fast forward a year and a half and I am a completely changed person; drug-free, good support group, and a small friend circle. I worked for about a year and have now decided that I want to continue where I left off and start working to get into dental school.

So that is my situation. Low GPA and almost 0 science classes. I know that I am capable of taking pre-reqs such as Chem, Bio, OChem, etc., and I know that I can do well in them. This Fall quarter has just started, and I am taking Gen Chem and Bio at a community college.

My questions are:
1) If I succeed in my classes and do very well, do I have a legitimate shot at getting into dental school? (considering DATs go well)
2) What should be my plan right now? Just work on getting the pre-req classes done with and get ready to take the DAT in a year or so?

Any help would be appreciated greatly. I am finally in a right state of mind to achieve my educational goals and know that I can truly be succesful. I guess I am just looking for some reassurance.
Again, ANYTHING would be appreciated. Thank you.
If your GPA is lower right now you need to show a strong upward trend. This shows that you can handle the course load of dental school. Also you might need to go get a masters and make sure that your EC's are strong. It is totally possible to still get into dental school. Also after the classes that you take at the community college go and take the rest at an actual University; dental School prefers that.

The best thing going for you is that you haven't taken many science classes. This means you haven't messed up in the courses that matter. Don't overload in the hopes of speeding up this process. Take them at a reasonable pace and do well in them. Set aside a good amount of time and do your best at the DAT. If you can fit in volunteering/shadowing in a dental context do so but if not focus on the grades and DAT, then do the volunteering. If you do those things you should get in.

Members don't see this ad :)
If your GPA is lower right now you need to show a strong upward trend. This shows that you can handle the course load of dental school. Also you might need to go get a masters and make sure that your EC's are strong. It is totally possible to still get into dental school. Also after the classes that you take at the community college go and take the rest at an actual University; dental School prefers that.

Could you please expand on what EC's are? And yes, I am looking to transfer to a university after this quarter is done. Thank you so much!

The best thing going for you is that you haven't taken many science classes. This means you haven't messed up in the courses that matter. Don't overload in the hopes of speeding up this process. Take them at a reasonable pace and do well in them. Set aside a good amount of time and do your best at the DAT. If you can fit in volunteering/shadowing in a dental context do so but if not focus on the grades and DAT, then do the volunteering. If you do those things you should get in.

Hello, thank you for the reply! Yes I have only taken one initial course, so that is exactly what I was hoping to hear. How long before applying do you recommend taking the DAT? Thanks again!

You want to apply anywhere from the point the application opens through july. You ideally want to have your score to them by the end of july with typically a 2 week leeway. If you're iffy on how you'll do try and have the rest of your application ready just in case you do well.

I'd just take one science course to start. Just my opinion. Do well in that, get your study skills in check. Then start speed walking.

Everyone knows they can do well in classes until they dont. Slow and steady. This is a marathon, not a sprint.

Don't know how they would feel about community college sciences. Perhaps someone else can comment.

Could you please expand on what EC's are? And yes, I am looking to transfer to a university after this quarter is done. Thank you so much!
EC's are extra-curricular activities outside of being a student. So sports, work, clubs, research, and especially community service and dental shadowing. An emphasis on those last two; dental schools really want to see someone who is compassionate, invested in their community, and knows what they're getting into.

I am happy for you that you are transformed now!
You are basically starting fresh new. It is better that you didn't have any core classes messed up. It is easier now.

Take Gen chem and Bio 1 first and see how it goes. then you can take Gen chem 2, Bio2, Physics etc. and then O chem 1, Microbio Physics 2 etc, and then O chem. O chem lab, physiology or anatomy, biochem etc.

It will take at least 2.5 years. don't rush. You don't wanna mess up GPA ; ) other wise it is gonna take even longer to make up for it.

However, if you fail a class or two, don't give up. Find way to make up for it. if you don't lose hope and work hard, you will get there eventually.
It took me 7-8 years now due to some medical issues during the pre-req taking years and VISA issues, but worth it.

Good luck!