Advice on research in PM&R

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hfzballer11

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm an MS3 that hopes to apply for PM&R. I unfortunately was exposed to PM&R pretty late, and only recently made the decision to pursue it for residency. I got a 231 on my Step 1, and will take Step 2 before applying. I'm scheduling all PM&R rotations to start off 4th year so I can possibly get letters from attendings. My school also has a history of strong PM&R matches, and I am in an area with an abundance of programs.

My only concern now is that I would like to add some research to my application, both to bolster my application, as well as makle myself a more attractive applicant to the top programs? How should I go about doing this, given the stringent schedule of 3rd year? Does anyone have any leads or contacts in the NYC area? Also, how important is research/publication in order to get into a top 10 PM&R residency?

I would appreciate any advice on this, as I'm kind of lost.

Members don't see this ad.

Research is an ACGME requirement for residency graduation. Most PDs want to know that you are willing and capable. You really just want to have the box check...but their is no need to pretend to be a PhD. Also...PM&R research is NOT required. PDs understand that PM&R is an obscure field and that getting into PM&R research is inaccessible to many if not most applicants. Just get what you can get...case reports, book chapter reviews, poster presentations...and/or any random medical research that is available to you and hopefully interests you. If it's PM&R research...even better...but unnecessary. More so than the research experience itself...the benefit of performing PM&R research is that it could greatly strengthen LORs and your PS.

You have a competitive Step 1. Do well on Step 2...get a strong specialty LOR...demonstrate interest in your PS...and I think you'll get plenty of interview offers, including some at "top" programs.

Agree with above.

To re-iterate the salient points: You don't need PM&R research. Make sure your PS clearly explains your interest. And don't worry about deciding on PM&R "late" -- programs know how difficult career decisions can be in med school, especially with few schools having prominent PM&R departments to get students interested early. Ensure you have strong PM&R letter(s). That will take you further than research in the field. I know multiple people my year who matched into "Super 6" programs with no PM&R research.

Members don't see this ad :)
You are more than fine. I didn't even know what PM&R was until the middle of my 3rd year. Research is not necessary, but if you have some it can't hurt. Also it doesn't have to be in PM&R, I did some stuff in peds and ob/gyn, got like 2 posters and people were impressed that I got anything done. Just do well on your PM&R rotations, and you should be all set. You have good board scores. You will get lots of interviews. Step 2 isn't really even necessary to get interviews if you have a solid step 1. You should be totally fine. PM&R is not about numbers, it's all about personality and having a passion for the field.

PM&R is getting increasingly competitive, and research can help bolster your application for sure. I've actually spent a significant amount of time doing research in PM&R, under a well-known and respected physiatrist, and I'm fairly certain it's the primary reason I've been invited to many of the interviews I've been invited to, especially the more prestigious and academic ones.

Is PM&R research necessary? Probably not. But with an applicant-to-residency-spot ratio of 1.5 in 2014, there's no doubt it's getting competitive....so besides good grades and scores, how can you set yourself apart?

I've talked to many physicians and PDs along the interview trail who are eager to have residents that have proven their competency in research, and demonstrated a desire to do research, primarily for the following reasons: 1. Research within the field is decidedly lacking compared to other specialties; 2. Research opportunities and funding is fairly abundant due to lack of researchers; and 3. Physiatry is increasingly wanting to make itself visible, especially as an academic field.

If you're not into research, it might not be worth your time--it could end up being a logistical nightmare during MS4, or be boring for you. But if you are interested, I'd see if you can swing setting up a research elective prior to or at the beginning of fourth year, or having some sort of continuity project with a mentor...often times these things can be done remotely (e.g. data analysis), so in theory you could work with a mentor who is geographically removed from you, but has raw data to work with (and of course, the time to mentor you).

Also consider looking into the AAP summer program RREMS (rehabilitation research experience for medical students), which will not only pay you for a summer in a well-backed physiatry lab, but will also pay for your accommodations at the annual AAP conference and set you up with an opportunity to give a formal talk on your research. Typically this program accepts students between MS1-MS2, but in the past it has taken students of all years.

The end of third year should be spent studying for step/level II so you do well, setting up auditions, getting clinical PM&R experience, and securing strong LORs...but if you feel like you have all your ducks in a row re: aforementioned items, and are genuinely gung-ho about research, looking into these opportunities will only help you.

If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.