This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

burntoutstudent39

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've been worrying myself sick knowing that applications are beginning to open in a few months, and I would just like your advice or words to help me out.

I am currently getting ready to graduate from University of Indianapolis (Summa Cum Laude) anticipated overall gpa being a 3.86, depending on how this last semester goes. I haven't gotten less than an A- in any of the prereqs required for the PT schools I'm looking into applying. My GRE scores are average, but I am planning to retake the test. I'm very avid in extracurriculars and volunteer work. I plan to accumulate 100 hours of inpatient and outpatient shadowing. (I currently have 66 hours). So, with that being said, here is my issue....

My sophomore year here at the university, I was caught with alcohol in my dorm room for the first and only time. I was 19 when it happened. I was reprimanded by my school pretty harshly (I know most schools just give you a ticket and call it a day). However, since alcohol by ANYONE, even if they are 21 or older, is not allowed on campus, they really reamed me. I got put on social probation for that semester, had to go to a counseling session, pay a $200 fine, and attend an alcohol class. After the semester, I was put off of it. Is this still on my "school record"? Do schools the schools themselves contact my university to obtain my record? I know the PTCAS application has a question asking about academic or social probation, and a spot to explain it. I plan to fully do so. I know it was my dumb fault for getting caught, but it's just making me super nervous about schools thinking and judging my character. Like I said, it was the first and only time I've ever gotten in trouble at the university. Do you think that this will weigh in heavily on the decision? Is it a make or break kind of thing?

Anything would be helpful!!!

Members don't see this ad.

You will explain it, you're good.

As long as you explain yourself and indicate that you learned your lesson, I think you're fine. They accept people who have committed more serious offenses, like possession of drugs. Your offense was minor and you were young. These things happen. I'm sure they will understand as long as you put everything out in the open.

Members don't see this ad :)
Had same issue, except I was 21 when I got my social probation and my fine was only 150. I emailed the dean of students and got a letter from him saying that I had completed my probation and was in good standing with the university. Sent that and all was well

And I was accepted to 2 school this cycle (may have been more but withdrew the rest after being accepted to my top choice.

I would highly doubt that having a beer in your dorm at the age of 19 would hinder your ability to choose the career you want. Honestly, there are current practicing PTs and other med professionals who do recreational drugs (weed, etc) outside of work. Not saying that is ok whatsoever, just giving you some perspective about how your situation may not impact you as much as you think. You have stellar grades, so you should be able to adequately explain this away.