USMLE Advice on Studying for Remainder of Dedicated

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr Squilliam

Reaction score
Hey everyone, this is my first post here and I was just hoping for some opinions on what you think would be most helpful for my remainder of studying until my STEP 1. My exam is August 27th so I have a little less than 3 weeks to go. I am just about finished with my first pass on Uworld (73% overall with 200 Q's to go) and was planning on re-doing and reviewing my incorrects.

However, I feel like although my second pass will be a bit faster it may still take up most of my time as I tend to take a long time reviewing Uworld (takes me hours). I think at this point content review may be more beneficial as I want to re-watch most of Pathoma and Sketchy. I have already watched all of Pathoma and most of Sketchy but I think going through them again will really lock it in for me. I took NBME #17 (244) and Uworld Sim1 (249) so I do not too feel too stressed about my position and at this point I would just like to maximize my remaining time. Ideally i'd be able to review both my incorrects and the videos but it is looking like I may have to prioritize one of the options. Just wanted to hear your thoughts on this. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I think that you focusing 60% content and 40% questions may be the best - the only reason why I would say not to stray too much into dedicated content is because there is great value in waking up and doing blocks/blocks of questions to keep your mind fresh and "used to" critical thinking and question answering which is going to be paramount on game day! I think the focus should be you doing your incorrect questions but rather than belaboring and spending HOURS & HOURS on UWorld review, cutting the fluff and focusing on only the incorrect questions (the incorrects of the incorrects)!

Solidfying the content is great - however stray away from making excessive notes during this final review and get through the videos in a time bound way. Remember majority of information which you will come across between now and your exam you will remember (just because there is so much pressure to know it!) and honestly if you do make extensive notes or do extensive UWorld explanations review, you may not have enough time to complete more tasks! Also, if you make notes you may run the risk of never reviewing them again anyway! All in all, I think you can do both, it is the efficiency of the process on how you can accomplish both question and content that you will need to balance

Hope this helps! I think you are on the right track - take a few more NBME's as a marker of your progress