Advice on what to do this summer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

bigonthepig

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello! I'm new to this website, but it looks like the place to ask for advice, so here I go. I need to take Physics 1 this summer and gain more experience. Specifically, I'm looking to gain approx. 300 hours in either research or vet experience so that I can apply to NCSU. I have two options, first being living at my current university to take physics at the community college and do research in ANSC. Second would be living at home and shadowing/working for a local vet and taking physics online. I've heard taking physics online from a community college doesn't look good, but I also figure that more vet experience would look better than research experience. If you have any guidance, I would greatly appreciate it! Having a bit of a mid-semester crisis!
 
There aren't any veterinary opportunities near your current university?

The advantage to living at home is saving money.

I mean, it's a pros/cons thing: Pros to staying at Univ: Get the "full university physics" (meh). Cons: Pay more. Uncertain: Veterinary experience.

Pros to going home: Get Physics done, less living expenses, get your vet experience. Cons: Maybe the community college thing.

I took both Physics I and II at a community college (along with most of the other pre-reqs) - my school (UMN) didn't care where the credits came from. You should check with schools to which to specifically plan to apply, rather than rely on the opinions here. People who felt like they should take it at a university will tell you "oh yeah, definitely take it at a university, they'll look down on it otherwise" even though they don't really have a good reason to say that. People like me who did it at a community college will tell you "gee, it worked for me, so.....".

In the end, you should check with the specific school. Some might view it negatively and some definitely don't care.

Vet experience doesn't really "trump" research experience. It's probably more accurate to say that you NEED veterinary experience, and research experience on top of it can look pretty good on an application. Part of that, though, depends on what your are saying you want to do with your vet degree - if you say you want to do research .... then you probably should have some research experience to back it up.
 
Second would be living at home and shadowing/working for a local vet and taking physics online. I've heard taking physics online from a community college doesn't look good, but I also figure that more vet experience would look better than research experience.

I *think* it would be better to get more experience than to worry about the caliber of education. Some schools have requirements for which courses need to be taken at a four year school, and as long as physics isn't on that list (which I don't think they are), then you should be good!!