This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Is this a good plan

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Could be modified

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters

Lost92

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello (sorry for the long post)
I need some advice
So I honestly don't think I should of started college right away after high school because I was critically depressed because of a lot of personal medical issues I've had

Anyway I went to community college cause I needed to be home because of the my medical issues, I ended my associates with 2.8 gpa eventually my family's financial were turned upside down and we were pretty much homeless for a while ( probably should of taken a semester off at that point too but didn't)

Went to university started out well, then my mother was sick, she couldn't work we ended up pretty homeless again and I was sexually assaulted too so during that semester my grades slipped and it's been hard to recover
Everything with my family is super better now but I'm graduating now (cause I have to) with a 2.9 gpa but I really want to go to medical school
So my plan was:

• To get a second bachelors degree ( I honestly got really interested in chemistry and wanted to learn more so it wouldn't take that many credits around 40 or so
--- I know doing a non degree status is easier but I'm currently looking for employment and a second bachelors at least offers loans to pay in case I don't find a job right away
After I ace the second bachelors I was thinking

• I can get a good score on the MCAT so I'll aim high
    • Then I was thinking of applying to a smp first and then apply to medical school in order to improve my chances
I was just wondering if this is a good idea and if it will help, I really really want to go to medical school and personal life crises shouldn't get in the way of that
Please help and five feed back

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sorry I'm new on this app and website on general, I was reading though one of your post and I think I accidentally sent that while using the app on my phone and didn't notice, I'm not trolling i dully apologize

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Instead of getting a second bachelor's degree, why don't you go for your masters? Graduate school is a great way to up your gpa and prove to medical school that you can deal with their workload.

I always heard graduate school gpa isn't that important so I wasn't completely sure about that

I always heard graduate school gpa isn't that important so I wasn't completely sure about that

Grad school is NOT a good way to improve your gpa. Grad programs are infamous for grade inflation, and besides, AMCAS won't include grad courses in your undergrad gpa calculations. SMP's cost a chunk of change, and you better be certain of your path before going that route. I did a DIY post-bacc which was relatively cheap, but still communicated my competence. If I were you, I'd start there.