Advice/rate 2019 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Luizkana

Reaction score
Hey all. This will be a lengthy post, I apologize!

I will be taking my MCAT May 2019. I am a junior and will be taking Physics I and II as well as Biochem I (and either biochem II or intro to biochem) this year. Even though I still have a little under a year, the anxiety is slowly appearing because I have heard many complain about the massive pressure that is put on undergrads trying to get a good GPA and pass their finals while also studying for the overwhelmingly difficult MCAT.

Can yall tell me your suggestions regarding my study plan and rate my chances based on my grades and EC? So far, I have purchased the Kaplan set of books and have been completing the CARS book since I can't really do any others having not taken biochem and physics. I also take part in Kaplan's free lessons when they are offered.

I will be rather busy this semester, continuing to volunteer at a Ladies' Home (done it for one semester) and my school ambulance organization as an EMT (2 years), doing microbiology research (1 semester), and killing it in my classes. sGPA 3.72, cGPA 3.81 so far after two years of college.

I'm not planning on really focusing on reviewing for the MCAT until after this first semester since right now I have little physics and no biochem knowledge. I'm planning on taking some kind of online Kaplan (or whatever else, need suggestions plz) course during spring 2019. I reckon doing that alongside schoolwork will be pretty crappy therefore I will limit my classes to the bare minimum (only biochem, physics II, and human anatomy & physiology II) and I'm considering continuing the research.

I have looked at the first section of the free Kaplan FL and I barely understood anything, to be honest. I hope that will improve with adequate preparation. What do yall think?

Members don't see this ad.

Ah, this post is like a flashback to me. I can understand where you are coming from, as I spent the last two years of my undergrad hammering out full science course loads while working full time night shifts at a trauma center as an EMT. My only advice to you is to accept that your science courses have provided you with a strong foundation in which you will need to build off for the MCAT.

It is understandable that you barely understood anything from the Kaplan FL. This is because half of the battle of the MCAT is learning the way in which it tests, tricks and all. My recommendation is that you allow yourself plenty of time to go through all of the Kaplan Books, and take note on the areas in which you are weakest. After that, the AAMC has great practice material. It would be wise to buy their online bundle which includes the FL's, sample tests, a half-length, question banks and section banks.

Reactions: 1 user
You'll about to start your junior year, correct? Are you planning on applying to med school next year? If not, then you can take advantage of the summer of next year to prepare for the MCAT and that would allow you to finish all your biochem and physics courses so that you only have to review them instead of learning new material (assuming you also review the other subject as well). You would have to apply after your senior year, though, and would have to take a gap year (assuming that you graduate 2 years from now).
As a side note, if you want, you can start reading and trying to understand your Kaplan physics and biochem books before taking their corresponding college courses, as it may help you familiarize with some concepts.

Reactions: 1 user