Advice/Suggestions....

Pud$Mommy2017

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

This is my first time posting and its not even for me.....it's for my daughter. My 10-year old daughter who is almost half way through her 5th grade year. I'm trying not to be "THAT mom". lol. But she's also has wanted to be a doctor since she was 4. Her career choice has changed slightly-from Doctor to ER (Trauma) Doctor to Pediatric Doctor...but all the while she still wants to be a doctor.

I know she won't even be in middle school/junior year for another year, but if she stays on this career path, is there anything she should she get into extra curricular/volunteer wise (beyond keeping her grades up)? Does anyone have any advice for her/me?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
She’s 10! Let her be a normal kid and do what she wants! If she’s really interested a few years down the line (like end of high school at the absolute earliest) then that’s a time to revisit this. For now, NTD.

Reactions: 4 users
It's waaaaaaaaaay too early for her to do anything that would help her get into med school. You only list college extracurriculars on your application (or ones continued from high school). She may even change her mind by the time she'd apply. Not saying you do anything less, but I'd just support her and not pressure her.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I also agree that it’s way too early to do anything that will really impact her medical school admissions. I went to a science-oriented summer camp and I really loved it, so I’m sure there are plenty of programs in your community that can still help her foster a love of medicine while being a kid.

Reactions: 1 users
Hello everyone,

This is my first time posting and its not even for me.....it's for my daughter. My 10-year old daughter who is almost half way through her 5th grade year. I'm trying not to be "THAT mom". lol. But she's also has wanted to be a doctor since she was 4. Her career choice has changed slightly-from Doctor to ER (Trauma) Doctor to Pediatric Doctor...but all the while she still wants to be a doctor.

I know she won't even be in middle school/junior year for another year, but if she stays on this career path, is there anything she should she get into extra curricular/volunteer wise (beyond keeping her grades up)? Does anyone have any advice for her/me?
1/10.

She’s not already involved in extracurriculars? May as well take a vacation to the Caribbean so she can see where she’ll end up in med school.

(If this is a serious post, there is literally nothing for her to do now except enjoy being a kid)

Trust me. I'm not pressuring her in any way shape or form. This is ALL her honestly. I KNOW she's still way too young to be worried about anything beyond being a kid. WE argue about that A LOT more than I'd like to admit. So, thank you for supporting the idea of letting her be a kid. I couldn't agree more. :). I was just wanting input on anything IF there was anything right now. I just didn't want her to miss out on anything and we look back (IF she continues this down this road) going "we should've done this" or "we should've done that".

She should start watching all medical dramas on TV if she is not already doing it :) On a serious note, Is she aiming for BSMD program? If not then as others said let her be a kid and she can plan once she is in college.

Try to get her in to ECs and have her go to top private schools

Is she aiming for BSMD program? If not then as others said let her be a kid and she can plan once she is in college.

Lol she is 10. Nothing she does now will get her into a BSMD program.

Why isn’t she in Mensa already??

But seriously. Chill. Also just so you know.... “ER(trauma) doctor” isn’t a thing. There are ER doctors and then there are trauma surgeons, which is a subspecialty of general surgery. (There are also trauma orthopaedic surgeons like me, but that’s another story.)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

The above posts are unfortunately not very productive or helpful.

Here is what I would recommend:
1. Encourage her to enroll in a high-ranking middle school and high school, or schools with AP/IB programs. This will allow her to be more prepared for university courses. From personal experience, these types of programs have allowed me to encounter other students who are equally, if not more, hard-working and accomplished and have taught me that academic success is attained through dedication and hard work, rather than 'innate intelligence'.

2. If she hasn't already, allow her to explore extracurriculars and hobbies that she is interested in, such as playing a musical instrument, a sport, artistic hobby, writing, etc. These sorts of activities--if pursued over the course of many years--can demonstrate a variety of soft-skills such as time-management, teamwork, attention to detail, etc. Plus, they will allow her to explore her interests and can provide a good form of stress relief in the future.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Aiming for BSMD does need some planning early, rigorous course work and ECs.

Not for a 10 year old. FFS people this is a massive problem we have in society right, we don’t let kids just be kids. You can worry about BSMD in high school, that’s what HS is for.

The ONLY thing that a 10 year old can do to help them get into medical school is be a certifiable genius, like savant level genius.

You can’t be serious. I was in one of those programs and I really started working for it in the last year of high school. Relax

How long ago did yo do it? BSMDs become very competitive last couple of years.

Not for a 10 year old. FFS people this is a massive problem we have in society right, we don’t let kids just be kids. You can worry about BSMD in high school, that’s what HS is for.

The ONLY thing that a 10 year old can do to help them get into medical school is be a certifiable genius, like savant level genius.
I don't mean for a 10 year old but planning from mid school does help especially with science related ECs.

I remember wanting to be a doctor as early as the age of 5, I've switched dream professions a few times, but it usually comes back to medicine. I'm currently applying for university so I have a much clearer idea of it was being a ten-year-old than most.

I'd say for age 10, other than doing well at school, start nurturing her mind for science. Science summer camps, or after school classes are going to be useful and fun. I remember attending those back I'm primary school, and thoroughly enjoyed building robots and playing forensic scientist.

I was given a human torso model around that age, and it got me interested into the human body. Human body books for children are also very useful. I had a collection of those on my bookshelf as a kid. They're still there, unapologetically.

But other than those, I'd say find a hobby that she likes. I took painting classes and even today enjoy drawing quite a lot, it helps with biological diagrams. Some of my friends play music or sports instead. Medical schools look for people who don't just work 24-7, and have other interests.
You might want to consider these options:
1. Some type of sport
2. Chess
3. Computer programming
4. Musical instruments
5. Art and photography

This might be controversial, but I'd say watch educational TV, such as maybe older Magic School Bus episodes, I remember my teacher showing us those and the whole class loved them. Currently I reccomemd the Japanese anime Cells At Work, as it's really good; though the content might be a difficult for age 10.

And lastly, ask her to do chores. Being a doctor requires a lot of responsibility and it's never too early to make her realise how important that is, doing small chores, such as making her bed or doing the dishes might be beneficial. My parents tested my responsibility by giving me pocket money and expected me to save at least 20% of it, if I didn't, I wouldn't have money the following week.

Hope you find this useful.

Does anyone have any advice for her/me?

Allow her to have balance in her life and become well rounded in a way that she chooses. Do not push this goal. Simply ensure she has the support and motivation to become a good student and overcome challenges. There is nothing prior to college that she needs to do to become a doctor other than develop decent study habits. No extracurriculars or grades from elementary, middle, or high school (with the exception of dual enrollment which is college credit) will appear on her possible future application so, politely, please back off of that.

Please take this in the nicest way - my advice for you at this moment is stay off SDN until she is starting college. It will be better for both of you.