John Williams
Max Richter
Claude Debussy
Sigor Ros
Moby
Any other suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I've never tried studying to music. I have some heavy duty earplugs which I bought at home depot and sit on a memory foam pad from wal mart.... to drown out the noise from my neighbors.

Somewhat random post, but just my .02$

Members don't see this ad :)
Movie/TV/Game original soundtracks have been very good to me. Nothing like going down the home stretch before an exam while blasting the Jurassic Park theme. I've got about 20 of these on rotation, including the Godfather, Star Wars, Halo, and DBZ. I switch between them depending on what I'm feeling. No words, no distractions.

I like listening to Tycho ()

It keeps me awake when i'm tired but not distracting either.

Reactions: 1 users
When I try to listen to music while studying, I end up ignoring the music due to intense focus... if I could listen to music and still study well, then it would probably have to be something like Two Steps From Hell

Classical music is peaceful and harmonious making it one of the best options to listen to when studying.
.Net

I prefer ones without to many lyrics otherwise I get distracted.

Pandora Journey has some wonderful playlists of music, very orchestral and varied. Check them out on YouTube, it's one of my favorites and the mood of their music always keeps me going through long study sessions.

Members don't see this ad :)
I tend to listen to post-rock when I am studying. Look for artists like Mogwai (Les Revenants soundtrack is awesome), Explosions in the Sky, God is an Astronaut, 65daysofstatic, and The Album Leaf are a few of my favorites. :)

interstellar soundtrack - you're welcome. This will remind you of the enormity of what you are doing even if it is as mundane as sitting in front of an open textbook

Reactions: 2 users
I would definitely recommend more soothing music without lyrics. I'm a fan of rap music, but I can't study properly for the life of me when it's on haha

Something that I have listened to so many times I can just tune it out but the background noise is still there.
Or I turn on a fan. I just hate when it is so quiet that I can hear my old ears ringing :laugh:

Don't study with music, it will distract you and reduce retention.

Anything that is truly atonal and lacks any sort of centricity is preferred. A few studies confirm that true atonality in music relaxes the listener and promotes ethical and stronger learning behaviors. Don't think Eric Whitacre or Debussy, as their music does have a tonal center, think more like Gyorgi Ligeti. Also, make sure it's not an "agitating" atonal piece like Threnody for the victims of Hiroshima (Penderecki)... I recommend Ligeti's Lux Aeterna. Or anything Ligeti for that matter, it's all gorgeous.

Make sure you're not listening to things with backbeats or lyrics in any language, as that can and will distract you. This is also a question that is highly depending on a few factors including your own study habits and what you are studying, so take it with a grain of salt!

Liquid Mind and Phillip Glass are amazing if you like ambient music while studying. Also, sometimes the 10 hour rain/thunder tracks on youtube also get me in to the zone, lol.

Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Like Antennas to Heaven

Darkside - Psychic

Reactions: 2 users

Listen to something turnt like this.

Gucci mane for chemistry and calc problems.

Coldplay for everything else.

Anyone else listen to extremely brutal, technical death metal while studying? It works like a blender to get rid of all the study neurosis.

I listen to classical music or nature sounds or both at the same time. They relax me and make me less nervous about what I am studying for.

As mentioned above, don't listen to music that has lyrics. When you remember things you remember them phonetically (i.e. voice you create in your mind). When you hear lyrics, this interrupts the inner voice and can mix and jumble what you learn.

Also, maybe try nightcore. It'll give you a speed boost ;)

I think for best study don't play music lol :p
;)

I listen to music with non lyrics so I don't start singing, these are some of my favorite playlists:

here and here

Wow! You favorite list is multi genre mix up.
You must definitely listen to The Beatles (retro, yet classic)
Green Day
Linkin Park
Usher

This music has just enough urgency to keep me awake late at night without breaking my concentration

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Skyrim Atmospheres, I have used this throughout my undergrad for most study sessions. It does not have a crazy tempo or extremely loud sounds that would distract you while reading. I also recommend turning it down on low volume.

I second Nujabes. His work is very good for concentrating. I have studied while listening to his music plenty of times.

I think this is a great thread to continue, whether or not the OP is still watching it.

Studying and listenting to music ... sometimes it's a bid distracting ...

Super weird but my barista actually suggested I try listening to video game music! I've been doing it the past week and found it helpful

I like Mozart, Yiruma, Rainymood.com and the Piano Guys. The Piano Guys are nice because it's popular/catchy tunes but no words. It's perfect for me because I don't know any new songs but I know the beat, so I can't sing along but I can still bop my head to it.

electro jazz or any trance music.

Personally I like to study to liquid DnB mixes.

Here's what I like to use. Sometimes music for me can be a bit distracting.

Youtube "alpha waves" theres a 3 hr one thats fantastic!