I need help and suggestions...

Carlosp2003

Reaction score
Hello my name is Carlos and I'm a Junior in Highschool. All my life I wanted to become a doctor. Once I had a better understanding I decided to become a pediatric surgeon. This is why: When I was born (in Puerto Rico) I was born with many complications and I was not expected to survive. I have had a total of 20 surgeries and tons of hospital visits and admissions. During the whole time I wanted to give back. I've am healthy now, most of the problems were about urology and nephrology since I only have one kidney. I know many doctors say enjoy your time and dont stress it but I want to be dedicated. Right now I am bored there is rarely nothing to do especially with the Corona virus. I'll be taking online classes until it is safe. I want to start studying. I would like to know what to start studying and to keep building on to be ready and ahead of college and medical school. I feel like I am alive for this and I want this to happen. I want to become a great suergeon. I chose pediatrics becuase I was the patient. I was the kid always sick and getting cut open. I want to let my future patients know they are not alone and I understand. What should I read/study about first, what websites and any books to recommend or videos? Thankyou for helping.

P.S I also have a nominated award for future medicine, doctors and those who will serve humanity in the medical field.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The best thing you can do at this point is focus on doing well in high school. Get volunteer hours if you can safely during COVID, study for the SAT/ACT for college admissions, and start researching what undergraduate school you want to go to. Don't worry about a specific specialty, people don't often leave medical school doing what they wanted when they first enrolled. Take some time and develop some hobbies that you enjoy, like music or art. Become a unique individual.

Reactions: 1 user
Walk on Water by Michael Ruhlman (a book about pediatric CT surgery)
On Call by Emily Transue
Last Night in the OR by Bud Shaw

You can also look up biographies/autobiographies by doctors at the library.
Happy reading!

Challenge yourself with challenging material. Many prospective physicians' dreams die when they realize they just aren't interested in putting the time/effort into learning difficult material while sacrificing their free time to make it happen. Unfortunately, HS doesn't prepare you for this.

Reactions: 1 user