This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shahzam1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I have just recently graduated from UCSD at age 21 (finished in 3 years). I took some time to travel to Europe and then took my MCAT. I scored a mediocre 500 (first time taking it). My cum GPA is 3.01 and my science GPA is a little lower. The reason for my low GPA is that during my second year I became depressed and my academic performance was affected. The courses that are holding my GPA back are Ochem (quarter 1 :B quarter 2: c+ quarter 3: c- and lab: c) After, I learned to better manage my emotions and got through the problems that were distracting me. Then I took biochemistry and got A's.
I have just applied to one SMP but I was rejected. I only have 2 letters of recommendations (one from Prof. and one from DO) .
I have 1 year clinical research experience, 4 years of volunteering at a hospital, Eagle Scout, Tutor, advisor for students at my school.
I want to know what the odds are of me getting into Ross? I have applied for May (summer quarter). Will I be shunted to the MERP program?
Also, I eventually want to do EM. Is it better to take advantage of DO grade replacement? I am currently retaking OCHEM 2 at my local CC however if I get into Ross then I'll have to drop this class because there is an overlap in the timing.

Thank you in Advance

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I eventually want to do EM. Is it better to take advantage of DO grade replacement?

dr_ross_geller.jpg

Ross is happy that you realize DO grade replacement is a valid path; he doesn't want you to go to Caribbean Ross

A resounding yes. EM is a DO friendly field. If you want to practice as a physician in the US, go to med school in the US.

The reason for my low GPA is that during my second year I became depressed and my academic performance was affected.

While you have my sympathy, and perhaps Adcoms', I bet there are many applicants out there who have gone through similar, if not tougher ordeals. Your MCAT of 500 does not inspire too much confidence, hence your SMP rejection. With an MCAT score like 500, odds of you making it out of Caribbean Ross is slim to none as the 500 maybe a reflection of your standardized test-taking skills. Stick to DO

Reactions: 1 users
dr_ross_geller.jpg

Ross is happy that you realize DO grade replacement is a valid path; he doesn't want you to go to Caribbean Ross

A resounding yes. EM is a DO friendly field. If you want to practice as a physician in the US, go to med school in the US.

While you have my sympathy, and perhaps Adcoms', I bet there are many applicants out there who have gone through similar, if not tougher ordeals. Your MCAT of 500 does not inspire too much confidence, hence your SMP rejection. With an MCAT score like 500, odds of you making it out of Caribbean Ross is slim to none as the 500 maybe a reflection of your standardized test-taking skills. Stick to DO

Thank-you for your input, Mwooster. I will definitely look into the grade replacement program.
For others who do respond:
Here's some further information I feel I should add. I have taken courses such as medical microbiology, human physiology, metabolic biochem, structural biochem, endocrinology, Clinical psych, genetics and earned A's and B's.

Will I have a shot at getting into Ross? A good shot?Assuming I elect not to take advantage of Grade Replacement.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank-you for your input, Mwooster. I will definitely look into the grade replacement program.
Here's some further information I feel I should add. I have taken courses such as medical microbiology, human physiology, metabolic biochem, structural biochem, endocrinology, Clinical psych, genetics and earned A's and B's.

Will I have a shot at getting into Ross? A good shot?Assuming I elect not to take advantage of Grade Replacement.

You are welcome; I wish you the best of luck

Right now, you are exactly the type of students Caribbean med schools look to recruit
Ross will be happy to put you in their MERP program if not out right acceptance into their September 2016 or January 2017 starting class

Reactions: 1 user

If you have a pulse and a wallet, you can get into a Caribbean school...

Now is that the smart thing to do? Not really. You need to take the time to make your application as good as possible, including using grade replacement for DO applications and retaking the MCAT when you are actually ready. You need to make the next time count.

Forget about Ross. It'll always be there in the future if you still can't get into a US school after a real effort in trying.

Reactions: 1 users
If you have a pulse and a wallet, you can get into a Caribbean school...

Now is that the smart thing to do? Not really. You need to take the time to make your application as good as possible, including using grade replacement for DO applications and retaking the MCAT when you are actually ready. You need to make the next time count.

Forget about Ross. It'll always be there in the future if you still can't get into a US school after a real effort in trying.

I appreciate your advice ThoracicGuy. The comments on this post have me leaning towards the grade replacement option. I was under the impression that I had no shot at schools in the US. Also I am registered to take the MCAT in April.

I appreciate your advice ThoracicGuy. The comments on this post have me leaning towards the grade replacement option. I was under the impression that I had no shot at schools in the US. Also I am registered to take the MCAT in April.

I'm not sure that April is the right time for it. You have a ways to go with grade replacement... Wait until you get closer to take it. Also you will need some intensive study and review.

Last edited:
Given that you are only 21 I would do the grade replacement.

Don't go Caribbean until you've had at least 2 unsuccessful cycles in the US.

Fix your GPA with grade replacement. THEN, study well and retake the MCAT and apply DO. And...keep an eye on your depression so it doesn't undermine you in the future. Good luck. :)

Reactions: 1 user
If OP can't make it in the Caribbean, he sure as heck not going to make it in the US either. Your grade will be the biggest obstacle to even get into DO programs unless you retake those classes and do a lot better. You are still so young and have a lot of time to improve your gpa and mcat.

Honestly, I interviewed at many DO schools and most of them are beginning to seriously frown upon grade replacements and some schools are even outright disregarding the policy altogether. I'm just being honest. By the time you start applying, it's going to be even more competitive at the established programs. You need to think seriously if this is the field you want to get into. Start volunteering at a hospital and figure out if you see yourself being a doctor. I get the feeling that you are rushing this. I find it very hard to believe that, at 20 years old, you had a robust enough application to apply to MASTERS level programs where you will be expected to complete a thesis and defend it in front of PhDs.
Finally, I leave you with a quote from Carly Fiorina, "Like Mrs. Clinton I too have traveled hundreds of thousands of miles but flying and traveling is an activity, it's not an accomplishment."