This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

EyedeaLogic

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello Everyone,

Long time reader, but this is my first post so I apologize ahead of time for the length. I want to be specific in order to hopefully get the best advise possible. I graduated with in 2013 with a Bachelors in Political Science with Higher Ed Cumulative GPA of 3.1 from a local State college in California.(All my grades were A's and B's but I'm assuming the A-'s / B-'s are what lower my GPA.) I was working close to full time and finished in a year and half after transferring not because I wanted to but due to financial issues. Before transferring I attended a community college and did poorly (around 2.7 GPA). I found out that I wanted to pursue medicine during my senior year in college while volunteering at a local VA hospital, but by then I was so close to graduation that I thought it was impossible. After graduation I worked various jobs from a staffing firm, online marketing, and my current job is for a Non-profit Head start program. Since graduation I have worked 40 + hours and I recently paid off all student loans, which is why now after over 3 years since graduating I finally feel I am able to pursue medicine. Last year, I took two extension courses at UCLA in psychology (received A's) just to test the water since I have been out of school for so long and overall they interested me.

Now I'm looking to apply to a post bacc program but I'm not sure if I'm ready since on paper I don't look like a strong candidate. I'm currently enrolled in the two necessary pre-reqs (Intro to Chem and Calculus) which would be starting in two weeks, but I also received a job offer to be a Medial scribe for a local hospital that would not allow me the time to take the pre req courses.

Basically, I was hoping you could suggest what is the better route to take currently to improve my chances of acceptance into Post-Bacc and later to Med school. Should I A): Not take the two pre req courses, scribe for a year to gain experience, and wait till next year to apply to a pre med post bacc program? or B): Politely decline the medical scribe offer, Take Chem, calculus, volunteer at local hospital and apply for pre med post bacc's this year to seek acceptance for fall 17' ? If there is another option please let me know. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading.