Advise for a Mid-Cycle Contemplator

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

specterMD

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
So to put things short -- I am facing a future with many different paths and was looking for some input.

I am currently in the midst of the 2019-2020 cycle. I applied to all of the TMDSAS schools (including TCOM) early, have submitted all of my secondaries, and am currently waiting for interviews.

My stats:

500 MCAT
3.95 GPA
Decorated Division 1 Athlete + Team Captain
+200 clinical volunteer hours and counting
+200 non-clinical volunteer hours and counting
Research + manuscript currently submitted for publication

I have accepted that I will most likely not receive any acceptances let alone interviews this year and have already began to study for my retake in January. My question lies in whether or not I should do UNT SMP's program for 2020?

I have read that when having a high undergraduate GPA...it is often not worth the risk doing an SMP. The way I see it I have two options to continue to build my resume as a re-applicant.
  1. Work and save a lot of money, do some sort of research, and continue to volunteer
  2. Attend SMP and lose a lot money, do some sort of research, and continue to volunteer.
Will the SMP build my application that much more and show significant improvement? I have read that as a re-applicant it is extremely important to show progress and I was trying to weigh that with work vs. school.

Let me know your thoughts!

Members don't see this ad.

You do not need a SMP since you have an excellent GPA. You need a higher MCAT score, ideally 508 or higher. If you have not any interviews scheduled by February then plan to retake the MCAT but do not retake until your practice scores are consistently 508 or higher.

Reactions: 1 user
To add to this: for the MCAT, the official AAMC material is the best stuff you can use. Do the Question Banks for CARS and the Section Packs for everything else, as well as the Official Guide to the MCAT, the Sample Test, and AAMC Tests 1, 2, and 3. For studying: after you take a test, go over it carefully and do content review based on what you got wrong.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't necessarily count yourself out. I have an MCAT similar to yours and have been accepted to TCOM. Your GPA is higher than mine as well.

I wouldn't necessarily count yourself out. I have an MCAT similar to yours and have been accepted to TCOM. Your GPA is higher than mine as well.
There is always a chance. However, given that I have not received any interviews yet the chances are extremely slim. I'm retaking the MCAT 1/17