Advise on a graduating high school senior?

Started by weirdhobo
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

weirdhobo

UCD Undergrad
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Welp, as my HS career is coming to an end, I have been thinking more and more about the pre-vet path in college. As of now, I think I am going to attend UC Davis as an undergrad majoring in Animal Biology. I'd be forever grateful if anyone could give advise/answer questions:

I am not too much of a math person (did not do honors so this senior year I am taking Pre-Calc) and I was wondering exactly how badly this will effect me in the long run (its not that I'm horrendous, just I never put much effort or time into it). Also, exactly how much and which math courses do I need (in general) in my undergraduate years? Does it matter what undergraduate college I attend? Will it affect my chances at a Vet school?

I haven't had exactly the most veterinary experience (one summer interning), but I have always had a fascination with animals (heck, I dissected my dead koi fishes when I was 10) and have always been around them. I'm planning to attempt to work at another hospital soon. Any advice you guys could give me would be wonderful, thanks in advance 🙂
 
Most vet schools no longer includecalculus as a pre-req. When I applied last year, Purdue still required it, and I think Florida does too. The only math class I took in undergrad was stats, which is required for most schools. If you visit the vet schools' web sites then you can find the specific pre-reqs for each school.
The best advice I can give you is to accumulate as much experience as you can. Keep a journal of your experience and include dates and times. This will help when it comes time to fill out VMCAS, and you have to tally your hours and describe your experience. Also, vary your experience. Don't just stick to what you are comfortable with. Work with large animals, small animals, and try to do some research. The better depth/breadth of experience, the better you will look on paper.
I went to undergrad at a small liberal arts school that had a great pre-vet program, complete with a pre-vet barn and all different types of large animals. This was invaluable for gaining food animal experience, as I had never worked with food animals before undergrad. I picked a school where I was comfortable and knew I would be successful. I didn't pick a school based solely on rigor of program.
 
From what I've seen with the math requirements, other than the few schools that require calc, as long as you take statistics and at least one other math class, thats all you should need. The schools I'm interested in (i.e. my state's contract schools) don't even require statistics, they just require an algebra and one other higher math course. So, other than the actual math classes, you will just need to know enough math to get through your physics and general chemistry courses.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am also not a heavy math person, and I took two semesters of calculus in college without having touched it in high school. I definitely didn't enjoy myself, but I got B- in both semesters; not wonderful grades, but still okay considering. If you don't have to take advanced math like that, don't. Look into school prereqs and see what's required. Statistics is math for non-math people. I actually kinda liked it since you could see where it would be applicable. Some math skills are needed for physics and chemistry courses, but as long as you're okay in algebra, you should do just fine. 🙂
 
Don't worry about having to take precalc...my freshman yr at ucd, i had to take precalc. u'll catch up. And calc is usually only required for ur major and for pre-req classes. besides stats classes at ucd r pretty easy and if u got difficulties, there's free peer tutoring available to help.

It doesn't really matter which school u attend, i liked ucd cuz it has a vet school so there r so many opportunities to intern at the vet hospital etc but the fact that i attend ucd doesn't boost my chances of getting in there for vet school. Also, i'm an animal sci major and there r soo many animal research, internship and job opportunities for u to get experiences but the most important thing during college is ur grades, u can always get more experiences once ur done w/ college but it's a lot harder to improve ur grades...btw, as ur thinking of animal bio at ucd, do consider ani sci major cuz it covers many vet school pre-req in it's curriculum vs. as an ani bio major, u'd have to take many extra classes to go to vet school. depends on ur interests... hope this helps. 🙂
 
Oo interesting, so what exactly are the extra classes required for animal bio major? and is it better or worse to take those classes. Also, i know little difference between ani bio and animal science, so if you could enlighten me that'd be great 🙂 Also thanks for everyone else's responses. It made me pretty relieved that math isn't as major as I thought 🙂
 
well, animal bio is more for ppl who want to go into research, teaching, govnm positions and want to go for a masters/PhD at least, whereas most of ani sci majors want to go to vet school or work w/ animals directly at farms etc. Ani bio has lots of biology classes covering all animals, bugs, wildlife, fish, etc not only domesticated animals. Ani sci focuses on biology, nutrition, behavior, husbandry and management of all domesticated animals such as food animals, companion animals, horses etc, depending on what u specialize in, another thing ani bio doesn't do. Plus, ani bio majors have to write a thesis at the end of 4 yrs.
I'd recommend going on ucd registrar's website on their online catalog and just go thru the different classes and reading the descriptions for the diff majors and see which one's for u.
 
My best advice to you is to keep your grades up! Take it slow at first and build up--> take 12 hours your first semester and then go up to 14-15 until you get at a comfortable level. Then if you need to, take a few summer classes. I've taken classes for two summers now, and it's not as bad as you think. It keeps your mind going instead of shutting down for the summer.

Also, even though I kept my hours on the lower level, I was still able to apply this year, and I got accepted to four schools. So, know that you DON'T have to graduate your undergrad school to apply to vet school. You just have to have the pre-req classes that individual schools require. These can all be found on their websites. I HIGHLY recommend applying after three years so that if you don't get in on your first try, you still have time to improve your file and graduate, which will make you a better applicant for the next year. However, I still know four or so people at my school that did not graduate and still got accepted this year to multiple schools.


As far as the GRE, since you are not that great at math, I'd recommend getting a GRE review book and looking over that. Take the GRE early. Take it over the summer when you have more time. Most schools let you use your test scores for about 5 years or so.

Finally, like everyone else has said, get a variety of experience. Go to an undergrad school that has more opportunities to get hands on experience.

Hope this helps!
 
ah...son of a... well hopefully I will be able to switch majors soon! Do they allow major changes before the start of the semester? Also which is more competitive?

smoknjoe thanks for the great advice as well! I'll be sure to start GRE studies sooner than most and also won't overload with too much in one semester at first 🙂 Man I'm so excited now! You guys all showed me I still have a chance at becoming a Vet 🙂

Kind of off-topic but, rtc, which dorm should I choose for my first year at Davis?
 
don't worry, it's EASY to switch majors once ur in college. just sign up for classes as if u already were an ani sci major (eg take ANS 1 fall qtr-awesome teacher!) and then once u start, switch majors. Which major is more competitive? i don't know...ani bio majors r mostly trying to get into grad school and ani sci majors r trying to get into vet school/grad school. They're both pretty hard, probably...

dorms...it depends on what u want. tercero is really, really close to campus, especially to intro sci classes and it's right next to the dairy barn where all the ani sci labs r. (but u gotta luv the smell of cows 🙂) so u could roll out of bed 5 min b4 class and make it in time. segundo is close to campus too but isn't as close to ani sci labs but it's closest to Rite aid, the freshman 'grocery store'. cuarto is for u if u want the feeling of leaving campus and going home everyday and u still only have to roll out of bed 10 min b4 to bike to class. they also have more suites in cuarto where u don't share ur bathroom w/ as many ppl but at the same time, u don't meet as many, i'm a 4th yr and still talk to many ppl i was in the dorms w/ in one of the small tercero buildings.
 
Just a friendly reminder that you don't HAVE to major in animal sci or animal bio for vet school....in fact, I think the UCD major in NPB (neurobiology, physiology and behavior) is an excellent major to prepare yourself for veterinary school. If you have the in-depth knowledge you gain from all the upper division physiology classes (not just NPB 101 which is required as a pre-req) you're very well-prepared for your first year of vet school.

I originally transferred into Davis as an An Sci major and quickly switched out of it (first to microbio, then to chemistry). Why? Animal science is a great major if you're interested in equine or food animal practice, but I'm more interested in small animals and exotics. Secondly, in case I didn't get into veterinary school, I wanted to have a versatile major that could allow me to pursue different fields. Sure, there are research opportunities for An Sci and Animal bio majors, but many non-prevet An sci majors I knew were very interested in going into farming...and I have no interest in owning a farm. IMO, it's easier to learn the animal handling/nutrition/maintenance stuff than some of the more detailed cell biology and physiology. You're going to get everything all over again in vet school anyway, so if you've already heard/learned the hard stuff once, it'll be easier to remember.

You have plenty of time to explore, since most of your classes the first year are going to be the same no matter what you major in.
If you have any questions about pre-vet opportunities at Davis, feel free to PM me.
 
Just a friendly reminder that you don't HAVE to major in animal sci or animal bio for vet school....in fact, I think the UCD major in NPB (neurobiology, physiology and behavior) is an excellent major to prepare yourself for veterinary school. If you have the in-depth knowledge you gain from all the upper division physiology classes (not just NPB 101 which is required as a pre-req) you're very well-prepared for your first year of vet school.

I originally transferred into Davis as an An Sci major and quickly switched out of it (first to microbio, then to chemistry). Why? Animal science is a great major if you're interested in equine or food animal practice, but I'm more interested in small animals and exotics. Secondly, in case I didn't get into veterinary school, I wanted to have a versatile major that could allow me to pursue different fields. Sure, there are research opportunities for An Sci and Animal bio majors, but many non-prevet An sci majors I knew were very interested in going into farming...and I have no interest in owning a farm. IMO, it's easier to learn the animal handling/nutrition/maintenance stuff than some of the more detailed cell biology and physiology. You're going to get everything all over again in vet school anyway, so if you've already heard/learned the hard stuff once, it'll be easier to remember.

You have plenty of time to explore, since most of your classes the first year are going to be the same no matter what you major in.
If you have any questions about pre-vet opportunities at Davis, feel free to PM me.

Amen. I spent three years as an Animal Science major before I just could not stand learning only about cattle, swine, sheep, and pigs any longer. I will graduate with a B.S. in Biology and, despite having to take Botany, I am LOVING the Bio degree plan.
 
But even if I was in a major, as you said Physiology, Micro Bio, Chemistry etc. couldn't I take those classes anyways to prepare for Vet School? Or is going into said Majors going to give me a more in-depth experience?
 
Absolutely! In fact, some of those classes are required as prerequisites anyway. Even if certain classes are reserved (this is generally only at certain universities), you can always talk to the class professor and usually you can get added to the class.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Nope, nothing wrong at all. Just make sure you like the large animals or you'll get sick of it quick.
 
I've little significant interest in large animals however I found Animal Science B.S. to be wonderful. I would even encourage it if you didn't have an interest or notable exposure to large animals previously. It will be valuable for veterinary school.

Finally my greatest piece of advise is just to put the time in and maintain the best GPA that you can. I thought I could get into vet school without trying as an undergraduate. Now I'm learning the hard way.

Get and keep that GPA up. Focus. Start brushing up on GRE material early. Get in a solid chunk of experience hours with a local veterinarian or two.
 
for me, i like being animal sci major cuz i was tired of only theory being taught and wanted a more hands on approach which u get w/ ani sci labs. i've really appreciated working with so many different animals already. plus i'm also glad i've been able to skip plant and human bio and go straight to animal bio since that's what i want to do for the rest of my life... besides, most ani sci majors specialize in companion animal biology and not food animals, equine etc.

really, all science majors at ucd go very in-depth into the sciences required for vet school, we basically take all the same classes for the first 3 yrs. 🙂 while, it's true ani sci major do cover maintenance, nutrition, behavior etc, believe me, we cover just as much cell biology and physiology etc, i'm drowning in that right now. it's no easier a major than npb, chem, bio etc.

it doesn't matter at all which major u choose, as long it prepares u for a rigorous vet school program and u get to take ur prereqs. as i said b4, look up the majors in the catalog and see which one interests u by the classes that r offered.

btw, the vet aide club is one opportunity that's available for everyone at ucd. they organize internships at the vet hospital every quarter which gives u a good starting point for getting experiences.
 
All of your advices are INVALUABLE. Thanks to everyone, I feel a bit more secure going into college. Also, I'll be sure to join that club, rtc 🙂

I have very little experience with large animals, so I think that taking Ani Sci will be a good choice, and I don't think I will tire of them heh 😛

thanks again everyone~ I'll be sure to pester some more if needed :laugh:
 
hehe thanks 😎 I keep thinking harder and harder about college and I keep finding more questions to ask 😛

for RTC: Are there any Zoos in Davis? I'd love to volunteer at one!

General everyone: Do pre-vet prereq classes have a lot of dissections? I took a Honors Physiology/Anatomy class during my HS Junior year and we did Cats! Horrible smell, and I felt kind of bad, but it was very interesting! I'm hoping my undergrad years will have some.

Also what math classes would you recommend that may or may not be a pre-req, but will be helpful?
 
Nope, sorry, no zoo in davis, it's a real small town but there is Sacramento zoo which isn't that far away. and plenty of ani sci labs have dissections in them, especially as u get up in yrs, in my npb 121 lab we even get to do mouse surgeries!!! castrations are soo much fun 😀

and i totally agree w/ Admerylous. keep ur grades up. i had a horrible first qtr! and have had to work real hard since then to raise my gpa...
 
Also what math classes would you recommend that may or may not be a pre-req, but will be helpful?

Most schools require 2 math courses and a large majority of them require stats to be one of the classes. So you will definitely want to take stats.

That leaves you with finding at least 1 other math class. Personally, I am going to go against the grain and recommend you take.... Calculus. Its not an advanced math course by any means and at many school is the lowest level math course you can take. Its also somewhat useful and definitely worth learning. It will also allow you to take a calc based physics series instead of an algebra based physics series.
 
Castrations always make me nervous (for obvious reasons lol) but the first time I saw a cat castration at my internship, I was amazed how easy and quick it was 😳 Was the mouse dissection fun? 😛

@David: Yea I was definitely thinking about taking Calculus (also the fact I really don't know many other maths xD)
 
Most pre-veterinary programs have exposure with dissections as far as I am aware. At the very least your anatomy lab will feature some, I'd imagine.

As far as math, statistics and calculus. Taking Calculus will prove itself quite useful come time for Physics. My pre-veterinary animal science B.S. required it.

Also, don't let any of the math courses scare you including physics. If you do your work and put your time in you will find them to be quite simple.
(Just don't make my mistake; actually put your time in.)

... and again, it can not be stressed enough. Keep that GPA up, up, up.
 
New question~~

What are the hardest Vet Schools to get into? The easiest? (including U.K. schools)