Advise Please - Low Psych/Soc , Unbalanced MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ek203

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone I really need some advice because I am afraid I might be making the wrong decision if I retake my MCAT in a month.

I took the MCAT in March and here is my score break down. 512- 130/126/130/126

From what I read online, 2 sections below 127 could screen me out of certain schools. Also, would this distribution count as unbalanced?

The rest of my application is pretty sold. White Male/ New Jersey resident 3.95 cumulative GPA, 3.98 Science GPA Solid Extra-curricular activities - research -poster and abstract publication -leadership -shadowing. -clinical (EMT )

I was scoring 517-518 on the full lengths but I messed up the psych/soc on the real thing.

I was aiming for top schools, but now I just dont know if I am still competitive for any competitive schools

I am afraid I will be screened out because of the 2 scores below 127

My question is should I retake in June? If not, what schools should I apply to this cycle?

Thanks alot everyone

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your are freakin’ paranoid with a perfectly fine MCAT score. I suggest you take a freezing cold shower until you turning blue and shivering then repeatedly slap yourself in front of the mirror until this silly notion is purged from your soul. I will try to a write a stronger message later

Thank you, this actually makes me feel a little better

I will be waiting for your stronger message
If possible, could you also provide some advise on what medical schools would be suitable for my stats?

Thanks alot

Sent from my SM-G955U using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
You're fine, I know people who have been accepted MD in this cycle with way worse individual section scores!

Use the MSAR: I do not make school selection suggestions unless I am working with Candidate
I completely understand,np

Do you think my application is still competitive for top tier schools or would I be wasting money applying there

Thanks

I know people who got into schools with unbalanced scores that were lower than yours. Unless you only applied to one super duper competitive school, you should be fine with that MCAT

Hello Everyone I really need some advice because I am afraid I might be making the wrong decision if I retake my MCAT in a month.

I took the MCAT in March and here is my score break down. 512- 130/126/130/126

From what I read online, 2 sections below 127 could screen me out of certain schools. Also, would this distribution count as unbalanced?

The rest of my application is pretty sold. White Male/ New Jersey resident 3.95 cumulative GPA, 3.98 Science GPA Solid Extra-curricular activities - research -poster and abstract publication -leadership -shadowing. -clinical (EMT )

I was scoring 517-518 on the full lengths but I messed up the psych/soc on the real thing.

I was aiming for top schools, but now I just dont know if I am still competitive for any competitive schools

I am afraid I will be screened out because of the 2 scores below 127

My question is should I retake in June? If not, what schools should I apply to this cycle?

Thanks alot everyone
It's posts like these that give SDN a bad name.
Your 512 score will get you screened out, not the two 126s

Has app season started? We sure are seeing a lot of posts like these recently.

OP, you are quite competitive. I suggest:
Hofstra
U Toledo
U VM
Pitt
Miami
St. Louis
Albany
Albert Einstein
Rochester
Rush
Rosy Franklin
MCW
NYMC
VCU
EVMS
Wake Forest
Jefferson
Temple
Tufts
Drexel
Creighton
George Washington
Georgetown
Emory
Tulane
Dartmouth
Loyola
Netter
Oakland-B
Western MI
Your state school(s).
Nova MD
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Any DO program. I can't recommend Touro-NY, Nova, LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide.

Don't retake. At the end of the day, you have a 512. Apply to around 30 schools this cycle and you will get into one with your stats.

I completely understand,np

Do you think my application is still competitive for top tier schools or would I be wasting money applying there

Thanks

Don't worry about the 2 section scores below 127. I've anecdotally heard of some schools screening below 125, but not at 127. Also, there are schools that do not screen based on section scores at all. For example, last year Mayo's MCAT screen was if the overall MCAT score was below the 75th percentile, but admissions specifically said they were not screening based on sections. You asked specifically about the top tier schools and while your GPA is perfect and rest of your app is solid, your MCAT is below average for top tier schools, so you should apply broadly and not too top heavy. That said, within the top tier you will find that there are schools who have extremely high MCATs (like NYU, WUSTL and Yale whose medians are all > 520) and others that are less so. you could apply to some where your MCAT is within range

What are top schools in your mind? Really your focus should be on getting into any US MD school. And all of them are competitive.

Reactions: 1 user