Affirmative action and med schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medinsane

Music in Asian Form
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which med schools practice affirmative action and which don't? I know Cali schools do. As an asian american I hate the fact that even though we are a minority in everything else we are not a minority in med school aps. Please prove me wrong.

Members don't see this ad.

deadhorse.gif

Members don't see this ad :)
jrdnbenjamin said:
UCs don't have race based affirmative action. Look up Prop 209.

I hope this thread is closed soon.

Thanks I didn't know this. All I want is info, not sarcasm. :thumbup:

Medinsane said:
Which med schools practice affirmative action and which don't? I know Cali schools do. As an asian american I hate the fact that even though we are a minority in everything else we are not a minority in med school aps. Please prove me wrong.

C'est la vie

ah like the swallows returning to capistrano an AA thread returns to Pre-Allo...only thing is this thread shows up not anually, but ~25x/year. :rolleyes:

Hey OP don't drown in that river you're crying me

O well hey I'm a noob! How am I supposed to know! Whatever its not a big deal for me. I'm just getting really irritated from some friends who are complaining about this. So I just wanted to know the status of affirmative action nowadays. Because I'm clueless.

How do you include the dead horse icon?

jrdnbenjamin said:
UCs don't have race based affirmative action. Look up Prop 209.
no wonder there are so many top notch schools there

id really like to go to northwestern...they have a great business school and their med school stats are doable

sunnyjohn said:

omg...that is the greatest icon for this thread ever. i guess i'm cool with your cat icon for this ;)

i also love how the OP is playing the "innocent little me" card - the jackals lie in wait for these threads!

Medinsane said:
As an asian american I hate the fact that even though we are a minority in everything else we are not a minority in med school aps.

Doesn't that suck? Now you have to get in the old fashioned way.

Life is so unfair!

(sorry I know you hate sarcasm)

Affirmative action is a necessary evil. I am white and hate it on principle. Why should anyone be admitted ahead of someone, ceteris paribus, solely based on their race? It's wrong!! The only reason I think it should be allowed is to fill the spots in inner cities or rural areas which are quite unpopular for non-minority students. It does not make sense for a white guy who likes wearing argyle and penny loafers to work in a black neighborhood, because *there is racism* and the people will feel uncomfortable as will the docs. There also needs to be minority role models to encourage those disadvantaged students who otherwise have enormous potential.

I've gotten used to the idea that I'm taking the stairs. At least I'll be in better shape when I reach the top.

Medinsane said:
As an asian american I hate the fact that even though we are a minority in everything else we are not a minority in med school aps. Please prove me wrong.
can't be proven wrong, it's all politics. the way to change it is lots of money. you could try a public outcry but you would be ostracized or lynched. money allows you to work more subtly like through lobbying.

Back to the question at hand. Having spoken personally to Ward Connerly, a driving force behind Prop 209, he said it's a sad reality that being Asian is a hindrance in the UC system, precisely because the UC system has such a large proportion of Asians.

The Asian experience is a good example of why affirmative action is so screwy. For undergrad Asians are considered a minority because they are 'under-represented', for med school Asian's aren't a minority because they're 'over-represented'. This 'over-representation' even makes med school slightly more competitive for Asians than for whites.

I'm white and asian so I'm doubly screwed :p

hmm.....
minority-A group having little power or representation relative to other groups within a society.
I wonder why people who are under-represented in a group or society are considered minorities? Blame the great amount of Asians for your so-called problems of med school being competitive (which, by the way, it is for everyone) and not affirmative action. It carries much less weight than you think when it actually comes to you, the op, when getting into med school, than factors which are in your control.

i think it carries quite a bit of weight. people arent judged on the same playing field, and that seems significant to me. its pretty much true though that at this point in time it is unfortunately out of our control. rage against the machine!

People aren't born or brought up on the same playing field either. You may have had advantages that some URMs didn't due to the differences in socio-economic levels, education, etc. But, like I said, and others said this has been discussed before. I don't want to go into it anymore. If you want to educate yourself do a search.