Affirmative Action - Med School Admis.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Shredder said:
this is correct, i have also seen many data indicating this. nobody wants to work in underserved areas, thats why theyre underserved. if urms who benefited from aa really were committed to working in a so called underserved area, bind them to it with some form of contractual agreement. but their word alone doesnt guarantee anything. its funny how many people would reconsider their dreams of working in rural and underserved areas if you held them to it.
wealth is meant to be earned not shared. +speak english please

and this guy is from my home state...dam that makes me sad.

why should we sign a contract. If you told the admission people that you wanted to do primary care and changed your mind should be have to sign a contract. I listen people, but your are just insane. WHY you gotten be from TEXAS

Members don't see this ad.

Shredder said:
this is correct, i have also seen many data indicating this. nobody wants to work in underserved areas, thats why theyre underserved. if urms who benefited from aa really were committed to working in a so called underserved area, bind them to it with some form of contractual agreement. but their word alone doesnt guarantee anything. its funny how many people would reconsider their dreams of working in rural and underserved areas if you held them to it.

.....so says the person who already has no concept of what it means to struggle (neither do I :D ).
How about we take a little tour of hospital facilities in inner city neighborhood and in weatlhy areas. I guarantee you that you will find a higher percentage of URM's working in the inner city hospital than you will in the weatlhy hospital.

I am curious...do you think that URM's (all of them) are not as smart as south asians, etc....?

You come across as believing that!
Tuck Fexas
Go Rice

DrMojorisin said:
To carry over my system to this thread, I'd suggest everyone be more openminded and friendly, realizing that everyone has issues and problems, but all of us want to be good people. Well, most of us anyway.
this is about getting highly competitive positions and having that system corrupted by aa, not making sure everyone feels good. what is this mentality from, the 70s? theres a dangerous line between being openminded and losing ones convictions and principles. you are right in that aa does promote angry racial issues

Members don't see this ad :)
DrMojorisin said:
AA is here to stay until it becomes too complicated to identify races... Fortunately we are already making a lot of progress. The growing number of 1/8 blacks that are benefitting are straining the system. Eventually, we'll all have some minority blood, then we'll all get some help LOL!!! How will all of our mixed children discriminate against each other?

There are only two constructive things people can do to help end racism:

1) interracial breeding
2) resolve to stop getting angry about racial issues (which AA promotes) - a MLK/Ghandi styled approach is best.

I personally date a black girl as a white man, and always try to befriend and endear people who question our relationship. I find most people drop their stereotypes pretty easily once they are presented with a good counterexample.

I will admit there might be some drawbacks to my interracial breeding plan: did you all know that half-black, half-whites often feel discriminated against by "pure blacks." At least, this is what I've heard.

To carry over my system to this thread, I'd suggest everyone be more openminded and friendly, realizing that everyone has issues and problems, but all of us want to be good people. Well, most of us anyway.

that is hell of funny man. interbred, good idea. maybe if one parents was white I could use that side to get a good job.
True there is a issue between pure blacks and half, but it is more complicated than it seems.

Shredder said:

And what data have you seen. I highly doubt it, unless they publish it in something relating to the market.

Go Rice
Tuck Fexas!

riceman04 said:
.....so says the person who already has no concept of what it means to struggle (neither do I :D ).
How about we take a little tour of hospital facilities in inner city neighborhood and in weatlhy areas. I guarantee you that you will find a higher percentage of URM's working in the inner city hospital than you will in the weatlhy hospital.

I am curious...do you think that URM's (all of them) are not as smart as south asians, etc....?
ill never dispute that ive had a fortunate life, but i shouldnt be punished for it. in fact my family was once on the brink of welfare but worked its way up by the time i was born. and that was w/o aa, so i know the value of hard work and meritocracy.

urms end up in a higher percentage in undesirable areas because, since they were not as highly qualified to get into schools in the first place, they end up doing worse there and on the board exams, which leads to undesirable areas. not bc they have stellar credentials yet choose to be there.

mochief2000, okay then just a contract that binds you to practice in an underserved area, as all urms and many premeds claim to dream of.

DrMojorisin said:
AA is here to stay until it becomes too complicated to identify races... Fortunately we are already making a lot of progress. The growing number of 1/8 blacks that are benefitting are straining the system. Eventually, we'll all have some minority blood, then we'll all get some help LOL!!! How will all of our mixed children discriminate against each other?

There are only two constructive things people can do to help end racism:

1) interracial breeding
2) resolve to stop getting angry about racial issues (which AA promotes) - a MLK/Ghandi styled approach is best.

I personally date a black girl as a white man, and always try to befriend and endear people who question our relationship. I find most people drop their stereotypes pretty easily once they are presented with a good counterexample.

I will admit there might be some drawbacks to my interracial breeding plan: did you all know that half-black, half-whites often feel discriminated against by "pure blacks." At least, this is what I've heard.

Actually, interracial breeding will not end racism. It may seem to work at first, but eventually it will lead to confusion and a different type of racism (i.e. "you're not black; you look white!").

I think the best way to eliminate racism is interracial mingling (socializing). It's actually very simple. If we are forced to be exposed to all races, then eventually we will come to understand one another. Sounds too good to be true, but the solution is right before our eyes.

I know this from experience. When I moved to a school with very few people of my race, I was isolated and teased endllessly. But when my family relocated to a diverse neighborhood, everything changed in a flash.

I guess my stance on AA is that it's out of date. Most places simply don't need it any more. I think it will either fade away or change drastically in my life time.

IkeBoy18 said:
Forgive me if this thread has been started somewhere else already; if it is I didn't see it and would appreciate someone linking me.

No, actually you are the first and only poster to bring this issue to the forefront. Thank you for your unique opinions :rolleyes:

Shredder said:
ill never dispute that ive had a fortunate life, but i shouldnt be punished for it. in fact my family was once on the brink of welfare but worked its way up by the time i was born. and that was w/o aa, so i know the value of hard work and meritocracy.

urms end up in a higher percentage in undesirable areas because, since they were not as highly qualified to get into schools in the first place, they end up doing worse there and on the board exams, which leads to undesirable areas. not bc they have stellar credentials yet choose to be there.

mochief2000, okay then just a contract that binds you to practice in an underserved area, as all urms and many premeds claim to dream of.

Wow.... so you probably believe that I am less qualified than you (though I highly doubt it).......being that I GRADUATED from a premier university... and you... are attending......well.....let's just say a school that represented nothing more than a last option for me.

And though I will probably score higher on the boards than you...I will probably work in an underserved community b/c my reasons for going into medicine are not to make money.

I do believe in sharing the wealth. Why not give back to a community where your people are in need of support. But wait....why am I even waisting my time telling you this when it will go in one ear and out the other!

I guess it would not be a stretch to say you are racist too, right?

Oh well, we all cant be the same right!

visualwealth said:
And yes I am winning the debate... :) ..

Nothing left to say except I am right and you and the others are wrong wrong wrong...
:laugh:

Pass some of that good stuff my way, Cheech, because you must be smoking something goooood.

IgweEmeka said:
Barriers innercity kids face against their rich white counterparts are too hard to overcome regardless of motivation. If you have to work to support yourself and your siblings as well as study for the mcat and take community colllege courses while Jimmy in surburbia is coming home to a healthy cooked meal and has a laptop computer inhis room he used to surf SDN and his parents have enrolled him in a princeton review course, who is going to most likely come out on top?
Those may be extreme cases to you, but it is reality.
The reality is this - there are more poor white kids out there than there are poor black kids. For every poor Jamal, there are probably five poor Stevens. Is there anything being considered in the admissions process to take that into account?

there're good points on both sides. visualwealth, while telling people to go back to india, they could easily tell u to go back to africa, so lets leave that crap out. i think its an interesting point as to why a URM from an ivy should benefit from AA considering he/she is going to one of the top schools in the nation and has all the opps as anyone else. However, grad schools still have AA in their admissions decisions.

My, my, my. There have been many posts during my absence. I really appreciate everyone who has responded to this thread regardless of their stance.

Just few of my responses to some of the posts: " how far are we to extend reparations to descendants of the actual victims?" I must've just woken up from a mildly successful cryogenic experiment because I missed the beginning and end of reparations. Many cultures have received reparations, the Japanese, AI, even some holocaust survivors or the families of, but black ppl have been conveniently left out.

I see the many incendiary posts citing admissions should be solely merit based. Well, where are these ppl pushing for only credential based home loans where race seems to be a major factor? There is a study that shows that resume's toting afro centric names (LaTasha, LaDedrick) have significantly less interviews, even when education and experience has been controlled for, where is the retort from the ppl who believe that things should solely be merit based? The racial profiling that seems to be worthless seeing more black ppl need to be stopped than whites to lead to a single arrest. Where's the backlash? What about black ppl being incarcerated at significantly higher rates than white ppl from committing the same crime also controlling for criminal pasts. Where is the outcry for any of these processes to be overturned? Who knows where it is. Because it doesn't affect the majority. Look at how some ppl on this board react because 2 or 3 blk ppl are getting into med schools, which a significantly small amt of blk ppl are applying for. The racism I mentioned above happen to blk ppl everyday. So take the thorn in your side from AA, and multiply it by infinity, also the anger and resentment that some of you feel, and this is what an avg blk person feels like in this country. So many more things go against blk ppl and for the majority that it is ludicrous for such resentment to be spewed.

The ppl whose post sound similar to: AA just proves the assumptions that minorities arent as smart as others and its a slap in the face to those minorities with the grades because, their colleagues will assume they were admitted on the wing of AA. Ok, there are soooooooo many negative stereotypes, even stemming from the ones I mentioned above. Maybe ppl don't interview ppl with blk names because black ppl are perceived as unintelligent and lazy. Maybe the incarceration rates are higher for blk ppl with the same charges as others because they are already criminals when they walk in the courtroom; their skin says so; consequently resulting in tougher sentences. Maybe because black males are already stereotyped as criminals, the justice system believes they are doing society a favor by getting these criminals off the street before they really do something bad. Maybe blk ppl have a tougher time getting home loans, with similar credit as their counterparts, because of the stereotype that blk ppl default on loans, get evicted at higher rates, don't take care of homes or make neighborhoods unsafe and ghetto. The "perception" of others who do not even know if AA had any part of a blk persons admission is just another stereotype that doesn't necessarily have any direct consequence as the others aforementioned. All in all its just a menial drop in a full bucket.

I do agree that socioeconomic status should play a role in the admin process along with race. But you cannot compare poor white ppl with poor black ppl. Even judging from the very isolated case of AA, ppl would be surprised how much being the right color helps in this country. Those who do think all is well on the equality front...no comment.

To the person who drew the step ladder diagram, depicting blks at the top and Asians at the bottom. Again,for the very isolated case of some schools admissions process, in every facet of life that step ladder is the other way around, except with whites on top and not Asians; blacks are usually a the bottom, but this doesn't seem to cause such an uproar.

The thing about discrimination is that, yeah, a lot of the times its not done on purpose. Just like a blk judge might take a young black defendant under thier wing and give them a lighter sentence and maybe even conference with them to see whats the problem and set the young one on the right foot. I'm sure the same happens with other races. Whatever their race is. Asians are more inclined to help Asians, whites are more inclined to help whites, blacks are more inclined to help blacks. Even though ppl say they are equal, they have an inherent trait to respond better to someone of their same racial background. Even in health care. It has been proven through research that ppl get better healthcare from a physician of the same race. So I don't think that ppl intentionally discriminate against ppl of other races, they are just inclined to help their own more. Since white ppl are the majority, and control most things, they help each other more leading to the indirect disenfranchisement of others, especially those with whom already have extenuated circumstances that lead to their alienation.

Members don't see this ad :)
ernieraisin said:
i volunteered at a homeless shelter tutoring children in east harlem (NYC) for a year. the kids there were predominantly black and hispanic kids. these kids simply did not have anything. for goodness sake, they didnt even have a stable home! and yet, some of the kids were determined to get out the housing, graduate high school and go onto college. they didnt have the resources that we all sometimes take for granted. how many of us took prep courses for ths SATs? how many of us had a decent house/apartment from where we could study? they were struggling to get accepted to a college...i doubt many were even thinking as far as med schools. by working with these kids, i realized that these kids need a chance to prove themselves in society. and the only way was through affirmative action. their grades were sub-par and who could blame them? they have bigger worries than the next history exam.

I empathize with what you are saying. But, remember that blacks and hispanics don't have a monopoly on poverty/social instability. I agree 100% that disadvantaged people have much more to overcome. You're reference to entrance exam study materials is only one example of the disparity in opportunity.

However, I don't think that any AA policy should be based upon race. We've gotten to be so multi-ethnic that it seems totally unfair to prefere one minority over another, or over the majority for that matter.

But, I do believe that certain seats should be "reserved" for those that show good stats with consideration to any major obstacles they may have overcome. This would include blacks, hispanics, and anyone else for that matter. But, it would not exclude anyone like our current system does in many cases.

By the way, I'm a white male, and not disadvantaged.

TheProwler said:
The reality is this - there are more poor white kids out there than there are poor black kids. For every poor Jamal, there are probably five poor Stevens. Is there anything being considered in the admissions process to take that into account?

Steven could be black too! :p :p :p :p :p

How about you use Diquan or Treshawn and William or Oliver

IkeBoy18 said:
My, my, my. There have been many posts during my absence. I really appreciate everyone who has responded to this thread regardless of their stance.

Just few of my responses to some of the posts: " how far are we to extend reparations to descendants of the actual victims?" I must've just woken up from a mildly successful cryogenic experiment because I missed the beginning and end of reparations. Many cultures have received reparations, the Japanese, AI, even some holocaust survivors or the families of, but black ppl have been conveniently left out.

I see the many incendiary posts citing admissions should be solely merit based. Well, where are these ppl pushing for only credential based home loans where race seems to be a major factor? There is a study that shows that resume's toting afro centric names (LaTasha, LaDedrick) have significantly less interviews, even when education and experience has been controlled for, where is the retort from the ppl who believe that things should solely be merit based? The racial profiling that seems to be worthless seeing more black ppl need to be stopped than whites to lead to a single arrest. Where's the backlash? What about black ppl being incarcerated at significantly higher rates than white ppl from committing the same crime also controlling for criminal pasts. Where is the outcry for any of these processes to be overturned? Who knows where it is. Because it doesn't affect the majority. Look at how some ppl on this board react because 2 or 3 blk ppl are getting into med schools, which a significantly small amt of blk ppl are applying for. The racism I mentioned above happen to blk ppl everyday. So take the thorn in your side from AA, and multiply it by infinity, also the anger and resentment that some of you feel, and this is what an avg blk person feels like in this country. So many more things go against blk ppl and for the majority that it is ludicrous for such resentment to be spewed.

The ppl whose post sound similar to: AA just proves the assumptions that minorities arent as smart as others and its a slap in the face to those minorities with the grades because, their colleagues will assume they were admitted on the wing of AA. Ok, there are soooooooo many negative stereotypes, even stemming from the ones I mentioned above. Maybe ppl don't interview ppl with blk names because black ppl are perceived as unintelligent and lazy. Maybe the incarceration rates are higher for blk ppl with the same charges as others because they are already criminals when they walk in the courtroom; their skin says so; consequently resulting in tougher sentences. Maybe because black males are already stereotyped as criminals, the justice system believes they are doing society a favor by getting these criminals off the street before they really do something bad. Maybe blk ppl have a tougher time getting home loans, with similar credit as their counterparts, because of the stereotype that blk ppl default on loans, get evicted at higher rates, don't take care of homes or make neighborhoods unsafe and ghetto. The "perception" of others who do not even know if AA had any part of a blk persons admission is just another stereotype that doesn't necessarily have any direct consequence as the others aforementioned. All in all its just a menial drop in a full bucket.

I do agree that socioeconomic status should play a role in the admin process along with race. But you cannot compare poor white ppl with poor black ppl. Even judging from the very isolated case of AA, ppl would be surprised how much being the right color helps in this country. Those who do think all is well on the equality front...no comment.

To the person who drew the step ladder diagram, depicting blks at the top and Asians at the bottom. Again,for the very isolated case of some schools admissions process, in every facet of life that step ladder is the other way around, except with whites on top and not Asians; blacks are usually a the bottom, but this doesn't seem to cause such an uproar.

The thing about discrimination is that, yeah, a lot of the times its not done on purpose. Just like a blk judge might take a young black defendant under thier wing and give them a lighter sentence and maybe even conference with them to see whats the problem and set the young one on the right foot. I'm sure the same happens with other races. Whatever their race is. Asians are more inclined to help Asians, whites are more inclined to help whites, blacks are more inclined to help blacks. Even though ppl say they are equal, they have an inherent trait to respond better to someone of their same racial background. Even in health care. It has been proven through research that ppl get better healthcare from a physician of the same race. So I don't think that ppl intentionally discriminate against ppl of other races, they are just inclined to help their own more. Since white ppl are the majority, and control most things, they help each other more leading to the indirect disenfranchisement of others, especially those with whom already have extenuated circumstances that lead to their alienation.

so did you really think this would not be a hot topic!
I told you

IkeBoy18 said:

Excellent post!!

what really lit me on fire was shredders first post which should have got him banned... So much hate...

Believe it or not I was once against AA... Here I was a URM who was on top of every class I was in... I did not understand why they would give others who were not doing as well as me a boost to catch up. The problem was I was being selfish and thinking about hogging all the prestige for myself. :thumbdown:
After realizing that infact med school "considered other factors" which btw mainly help rich kids who can travel to all great places and do unique extras ; I realized that med schools, and all professional schools, were looking for a way to keep the status quo!! That is, they were looking for legitimate reasons admit old boys and girls...

QUICK POINT: I have never been against AA for socio-economic status, and it exists.. That is, anyone can apply as disadvantaged !

PS.

Who ever said life was fair??

1) Why do white people in the 28-33 range still get into top 10 schools?
2) Why are students at ivy schools given advantage over a state schooler with better stats
3) Why is medicine filled with selfish docs who only care if you have insurance or not? Health care shoudl be based on how sick you are NOT how rich you are...
4) Why are there still whites at state schools in the 23-27 range? I thought the stardards where just so high for whites...??
5) If a URM is smart why cant they simply be called smart instead of being called "the smart black guy" etc

riceman04 said:
so did you really think this would not be a hot topic!
I told you

Well I knew I was going to get responses from both sides; but, not nearly as many. Theres far right, far left and a bunch in between. Oh cant forget about those who only fit in the imbecile catetory. I see you have been putting your work in here :laugh: Sorry I inadvertently mapped your day out for you. Thanks again for being active here.

visualwealth said:
what really lit me on fire was shredders first post which should have got him banned... So much hate...
do you want to clarify. +be concise guys, ppl tend to have short reading attention spans unless youre a pulitzer winner

IkeBoy18 said:

Well said. I had never realized how racist so many SDNer's are. Makes me wonder if any of u have taken any sociology classes.

True, AA should take into consideration economics and not just skin color but see I've always been taught never judge some one until u've walked in there shoes. To all u out there who think the 5 black people in ur MS1 class don't deserve to be there have NO idea what it's like to BE black, u've never been to a f**king gas station in modern 2005 and have the station attendant refuse to serve u cuz ur black. I just can't understand this. Do I think I deserve any kind assistance from AA? Probably not. But there are many many blk ppl who live in inner cities that go to the worst schools and do need someone on the otherside to grab their hand when they reach out and I honestly don't see anythng wrong with. I do agree that socioeconomics should play a role in the whole AA process and like I said before BLACK DOES NOT= POOR and WHITE DOES NOT = RICH.

In the mean time, while AA still exist in it's present state, if ur just a closed-minded a-hole who thinks that every single black person u'll meet in med school will in anyway inferior to u, then I just feel sorry for you. Let's make love not war. Peace out.

One is stereotyped in this process regardless of race, socioeconomic status,etc. Frankly, I think it is simple-minded for anyone to call AA strictly a positive or a negative.... these issues are never that simple. And also, who was it that said that mostly URMs work in underserved areas because they are not "up to par" with their fellow graduates? What a sad, sad statement..... Some of us (myself, being a white female) are truly dedicated to providing healthcare to the underserved of this nation and are willing to give up the high-paying fields for the satisfaction we will get from truly making a difference. That is one thing I have noticed on this site.... everyone is SO OBSESSED with getting into top schools, complaining about adcoms, and stressing out. All that has its place, but realize that we are future healthcare providers for this nation! Let's focus on the issues that really matter and stop bringing each other down.

riceman04 said:
Steven could be black too! :p :p :p :p :p

How about you use Diquan or Treshawn and William or Oliver
You were obviously pretty clear on what I meant, so I think my statement was pretty straightforward.

Psycho Doctor said:
funny every time I see a child of mixed race (including black/hispanic/native Amercian) I always think, oh that child will have the advantages of AA. I know that's pathetically sad. :(
I guess you forgot to mention that on your personal statement. Maybe next time...

This isn't a personal attack on anybody in particular. Just a few thoughts of my own...

What I enjoy about AA threads or any controversial thread for the matter is the hypocrisy behind it. I pretty much don't care whether people are for or against AA. I'm leaning more against it, even though I'm black and living in a country without AA (Canada). It's sweeter being at the top of the class without idiots claiming you got in because of AA :cool:

Anyway, in my opinion, it should be based on socio-economical status, but even then, people would still complain. Oh noes, this guy is poor/URM/whatever and he stole my spot to med school. I'm the only one deserving that spot. I'm special, I'm unique, check out my stats and ECs. I have 2 gazillion hours of volunteering, my parents bought me 20 trips to Africa to ''help'' people, and my leadership role in many non-profit organisations shows my level of maturity. I'm a compassionate guy who understands how the world works, but just don't f*ck with me when it's time to get an admission to med school. Oh, my daddy is also a very influential doc, he'll call a few friends and I'll probably get in the top schools in the US without much effort. But I shouldn't say that so loud, daddy says it's our secret.

Did I mention I hate poor/URMs/whatever people who get in med school ? I mean, I like poor people and URMs, but only when I'm volunteering. Otherwise, they could die and continue to live in poverty and I wouldn't give a rat's ass. I made a great personal statement thanks to them. Thanks a lot to Abdul, his wife and his 6 starving kids. The interviewer said that was a touching story. Got accepted 3 weeks later :thumbup: Never mind the fact I can't argue against AA without sounding like a bigot.

I can't wait to work with you guys in a few years :rolleyes:

yourmom25 said:
riceman04, is your name cameron??? if so i danced with you in an SAS dance. haha. i was one of the two SE asians in that dance.

i am also all for diversity. and i don't think less of the BSA people. i just don't like AA. i did virtually everything at rice. i almost joined a step dance in the BSA show too...but i sucked haha.

I am not Cameron, but I do know him. We were both in NAACP (Rice chapter).
I danced in every soul night and every step. I graduated in 2004 (Martel in da house!)
Does the nickname mcnugget ring a bell?
Is this Alan?

I haven't read through all of ths but here's my take on AA.

It needs to go, either entirely or replaced with something that factors in real disadvantage. I grew up in area where it was a disadvantage to be white, but I'm not going to go into that. The fact is, race doesn't work as a proxy for disadvantage.

Commonly, AA supporters will mention something along the lines of slavery/Jim crow etc. But they are just trying to avoid the issue. Why would Hispanics be included, then? Frankly, it's all nonsense.

AA has remained mere because there are AA rackets behind it: race-baiters on side, savvy businesspersons on another. The people with common sense are caught in the middle. The persons ally themselves with either of the rackets are really only guilty of being human, simply selfish.

I think AA should be changed to something that merely factors in educational attainment of one's parents and socioeconomic status.

ernieraisin said:
i volunteered at a homeless shelter tutoring children in east harlem (NYC) for a year. the kids there were predominantly black and hispanic kids. these kids simply did not have anything. for goodness sake, they didnt even have a stable home! and yet, some of the kids were determined to get out the housing, graduate high school and go onto college. they didnt have the resources that we all sometimes take for granted. how many of us took prep courses for ths SATs? how many of us had a decent house/apartment from where we could study? they were struggling to get accepted to a college...i doubt many were even thinking as far as med schools. by working with these kids, i realized that these kids need a chance to prove themselves in society. and the only way was through affirmative action. their grades were sub-par and who could blame them? they have bigger worries than the next history exam.

is AA 100% foolproof? of course not. just like ANYTHING in life, there will be those who take advantage of it and those who look down upon it. but unless youve witnessed what some of these kids go through, lets not throw stones. do kids who get in trough AA gain that much? they still have to prove themselves when they get into med schools. after all, we all have to pass some cutoff grade on our boards.

my opinion is that AAs can be a very good thing as it gives disadvantaged kids a chance. why should education be a privilege?

by the way, i am korean.

Congrats on being Korean. But what you're saying is a load of crap. I'm sick of people saying that URMs dont have the same resources such as the ability to pay for kaplan or Princeton Review for colleges. Well, you worked in NYC, where there's the best public library system in the world. These so called disadvantaged kids can certainly get 2 bucks for the subway, and take it to the library where they can pick up a bunch of review, test prep, and advice books. The libraries also have high speed internet access, printing facilities, and people staffing the info desks specifically to help kids find anything else on the internet. If they're worried about paying for college, they have a very viable option at the City University of New York - an institution that's experiencing a renaissance right now (hell, the Intel Competition winner's going to City College) and has excellent facilities and a structure especially dedicated to teaching "disadvantaged" kids and advising them on a path to success. These are options that have been copied throughout the country - notably in the California college system and also down in the south. At this point, this many years after slavery and the civil rights movement, there are tons of insitutions and programs in place to help everyone, not just a token group of minorities, achieve success.

amojan99 said:
Congrats on being Korean. But what you're saying is a load of crap. I'm sick of people saying that URMs dont have the same resources such as the ability to pay for kaplan or Princeton Review for colleges. Well, you worked in NYC, where there's the best public library system in the world. These so called disadvantaged kids can certainly get 2 bucks for the subway, and take it to the library where they can pick up a bunch of review, test prep, and advice books. The libraries also have high speed internet access, printing facilities, and people staffing the info desks specifically to help kids find anything else on the internet. If they're worried about paying for college, they have a very viable option at the City University of New York - an institution that's experiencing a renaissance right now (hell, the Intel Competition winner's going to City College) and has excellent facilities and a structure especially dedicated to teaching "disadvantaged" kids and advising them on a path to success. These are options that have been copied throughout the country - notably in the California college system and also down in the south. At this point, this many years after slavery and the civil rights movement, there are tons of insitutions and programs in place to help everyone, not just a token group of minorities, achieve success.

*sigh*

URM's dont have the same resources. I can see that youve probably never struggled a day in your life. Yeah there are great library facilities in NYC, and a disadvantaged kid can scrape together $2.00; but, if this kid lives in a house where the parents don't provide any assistance to them, they basically have been supporting theirself for a long time, working to help take care of siblings, help keep a roof over their head; or even if in HS, do you think for one second when there is rent to be paid, bills to be paid, etc, that they are going to have to time or the resources to keep spending that type of money for something that isnt going to pay off for years? granted they have to the time to go study? Also these kids go to the worst schools where the treat you like idiots, dont morally support them, (and dont say that they dont need moral support to be successful, because you dont necassarily, but there are plent of fat ppl in this country who have low self esteem and self worth, and are depressed because of how ppl regard them, which obviously can be changed, if there isnt a health problem, but fat ppl usually stay fat and depressed, why is that?), but being black and poor in this country isnt a quick fix, you cant change being black and you definitely, especially from this forum, cant change how ppl regard them. The schools dont let them know of opportunity, dont tell them about financial aid for college, give them a crappy education and you expect them to be so versed on study skills where they can go to the library and do it on their own? im sure many very smart, very educated ppl need the help of kaplans So these schools can make them feel like something? Like they can be someone? Especially in medicine where their arent that many blk physicians to be role models. Who do the ppl in disadvantaged areas see making money and being successful? entertainers and athletes, lest not forget drug dealing. These kids are never given the long term of planning and preparing for college, they are constantly dealing with the short term problems. Besides the teachers never gave them a chance anyway. You cant do much in college if you graduated from a HS and you cant even read on a 5th grade level. Obviously some of you dont know how it is to be disadvantaged, you cant take steps toward a career in medicine when your parent(s) are on the brink of eviction and the only thing that would save them is a quick $1000. Where do you get it fast? No one in these areas has it, except the drug dealers, and you will do your street pharmacy to pay them back.

It needs to go, either entirely or replaced with something that factors in real disadvantage. I grew up in area where it was a disadvantage to be white, but I'm not going to go into that. The fact is, race doesn't work as a proxy for disadvantage.

Ok your one of a very small population of ppl who grew up in an area where it was a disadvantage to be white. You did say an area, how about this.. its a disadvantage to be black in all the "areas" of the US including the area you probably are from.

Commonly, AA supporters will mention something along the lines of slavery/Jim crow etc. But they are just trying to avoid the issue. Why would Hispanics be included, then? Frankly, it's all nonsense.

UUgh.. Slavery/crow may have a little do with AA for blacks; but your missing the point. Those topics have nothingto do with hispanics. The whole thing is that the big ppl of medicine feel that a racially balanced force of physicians is better for this country. Hispanics fall under the general URM category. The slavery/jim crow concept may have some to do with why black ppl are in this category. NOT because slavery or jim crow happend, its the effects of it.

AA has remained mere because there are AA rackets behind it: race-baiters on side, savvy businesspersons on another. The people with common sense are caught in the middle. The persons ally themselves with either of the rackets are really only guilty of being human, simply selfish.

You forgot to put the side where you are on up there..because I didnt see it :thumbdown:

IkeBoy18 said:

Ok your one of a very small population of ppl who grew up in an area where it was a disadvantage to be white. You did say an area, how about this.. its a disadvantage to be black in all the "areas" of the US including the area you probably are from.

UUgh.. Slavery/crow may have a little do with AA for blacks; but your missing the point. Those topics have nothingto do with hispanics. The whole thing is that the big ppl of medicine feel that a racially balanced force of physicians is better for this country. Hispanics fall under the general URM category. The slavery/jim crow concept may have some to do with why black ppl are in this category. NOT because slavery or jim crow happend, its the effects of it.

You forgot to put the side where you are on up there..because I didnt see it :thumbdown:

You are an iconoclast in the midst of savages lol… excellent points!! Sadly, they will upon deaf ears. This thread has done nothing to change my views; it has only increased my convictions about AA… That is, I believe the system as it is now is the best it can be…. Sadly, I wish there was even more AA… It is very very very very very very very very sad how many URM docs are produced every year… What is even sadder is that these docs would have made it to some medical school without AA. You should be ashamed of our society when most of the URM docs are rich or first generation immigrants… It proves that indeed this land of opportunity is open to very few and, that the masses are suffering without a helping hand…
What is even more pathetic is that it is mainly rich kids trying to keep the poor down. Specifically, most of the failed losers on here arguing have had many opportunities in life, and have cheated and done everything to ensure their success… They have bought high GPA’s and MCAT scores paid for unique EC’s and now they cry when they don’t get into their number one choice… booo hoo cry me a river bit*ch lol…. I see so many average people around me of all races that are in the running to become docs, sadly if these people were born poor they would have had no chance to make it...

I have a lot more to say but I gtg…

Ps … Use your brains!!!

Who cares what people think?

Someone who is going to get all upset because someone else looks down on them shouldn't be a doctor anyways. They don't have the stones.

Yeah, AA isn't fair. It promotes racism. It promotes bad feelings. News flash: Life isn't fair. Life promotes racism and bad feelings. No amount of feel-good rhetoric is going to change that.

AA is a political tool used to get votes. Once it's no longer a way of getting votes, it will disappear.

Minorities who get into med school are going to have to work hard to prove themselves whether AA exists or not. That's because their white classmates are going to be racist against them. And they willl be racist against the whites. Because everyone is racist.

The government used to make black people drink from different water fountains. That was racism. So is AA, but it pales in comparison. That's called social progress.

Everyone should settle down and wait for AA to blow over. It will eventually. If you're a white dude on a waitlist and you feel robbed, sorry. Life isn't fair. Go do something else.

Psycho Doctor said:
i agree; I think in some ways it hurts the minorities more; well at least those who got in on their own merit; One will just look at their skin color and assumed it was due to AA...yea AA creates racism and I don't se ehow anyone doesn't see that.

AA is a political tool used to get votes. Once it's no longer a way of getting votes, it will disappear.

Actually, I suspect it will disappear sometime in the next few years beginning in oh, say, October. So the argument will soon be moot.

(Hint: think 5-4)

IkeBoy18 said:
Ok your one of a very small population of ppl who grew up in an area where it was a disadvantage to be white. You did say an area, how about this..

You are right. I am. One might even call me a minority amongst the white population, kind of like African Americans/Hispanics. It's funny how your logic backfires on you like that, hmm?

IkeBoy18 said:

Ugh, precisely. AA has nothing to do with historical discrimination, then, we agree.

IkeBoy18 said:
You forgot to put the side where you are on up there..because I didn't see it :thumbdown:

Common sense, of course. This should have been obvious from my first paragraph. I do not believe persons should be found ostensibly guilty for crimes that have not be proven to have occurred; I don't feel persons merit biased admission standards for them with no proof they are deserving of such.

I've always found it so amazingly ironic that groups that should be the most keenly aware of racial discrimination argue to perpetuate it.

Btw, the evil white men invented the quotation mark for a reason. Please use them.

visualwealth said:
Quit trying to use semantics in a very very very straight forward issue… AA is here to stay! There are very smart people (adcoms) who have decided that indeed, diversity is necessary.

It is sad that some of the women on there are against AA when they received it and continue to receive it. Pathetic and disgraceful!

You have to be one of the stupidest people on this board.

You do realize that because of Bush's new appointee to the Supreme Court, affirmative actions will be removed in the US. The vote on affirmative action last year made AA upheld by 5-4, and of course, the women's lib O'Connor voted for AA. Now that the idiot has retired (thank G-d), we can now remove AA, which should have never been started in the first place.

Congratulations on being a ******* :thumbup:

WARNING!!! THESE STATEMENTS ARE BASED ON Braveheart OPINION AND NOT REPRESENTATIVE FOR ANY RACE. PLEASE BE ADVISED

My friend (who is Middle Easterner) and I (22 year old African American Male)had a very heated debate debate pertaining to Afirmative Action. He believes that George Bush already ended Affirmative Action already. He Believe that Affirmative Action is the thing of the past and that URM are not given any slack as far as admission. Well, I believe that Affirmative Action helped Whites/Asian/or any other over represented majority those ORM would not have a problem. However, since it doesnt help the ORM there is always going to be problems.

IgweEmeka said:
Alright, I promised myself I was not going to post anything, but I just had to reply to this post.
Mr. allthaticanbe, you of all people should be able to observe the necessity of race in admissions to medical school. I mean you claim you are as rich as the white people and you are black. Granted there are always anomalies(to make an omelet, you have to break an egg), but the truth is that in the U.S. african americans make a tremendous percentage of the poorest peoplein the country and most african americans are poor.
And in response to you can do anything you want if you put your mind to it regardless of barriers, alright that is just plain stupid. Barriers innercity kids face against their rich white counterparts are too hard to overcome regardless of motivation. If you have to work to support yourself and your siblings as well as study for the mcat and take community colllege courses while Jimmy in surburbia is coming home to a healthy cooked meal and has a laptop computer inhis room he used to surf SDN and his parents have enrolled him in a princeton review course, who is going to most likely come out on top?
Those may be extreme cases to you, but it is reality.

Can I assume you are a democrat?

Newsflash: we live in a capitalistic society, not a socialistic paradise like Canada, France or Germany.

Welcome to the real world :)

surgeonguy22 said:

You do realize that because of Bush's new appointee to the Supreme Court, affirmative actions will be removed in the US. The vote on affirmative action last year made AA upheld by 5-4, and of course, the women's lib O'Connor voted for AA. Now that the idiot has retired (thank G-d), we can now remove AA, which should have never been started in the first place.

Excuse me look at what have been accomplished in the past 475 years of this country as far as technology. However, look at majority of those years that were done to African American. You mean that after all those years of being told that u cant read or write or you will die. Or how about your race being breeded where only the strong were breeded to live and most of the time the weak smart ones were killed. African American have been oppressed for years and yes we shouldnt use it as an excuse but what if Thomas Edison was told that he could read or write or else he will die. Or what if Benjiman Franklin was killed after they found out that he could read or write. For years, we are told that education was bad by the authorities. One reason why African American choose athletics over academics.

However, African Americans dont use it as an excuse. I use it as a empowerment. The brothers and sister that fell before because they were trying to be free pass the Baton to us. We must not slack but try to be the best. Only then we can bring our race up but its not up to anybody else but us.

surgeonguy22 said:

oh tear tear loser.... Cry me a river... O'connor is actually a republican!!! "*******"!! It is people like you that make me love AA... You just cant stand the Idea of another person having an advantage... That is, you are so use to the staus quo that any variation from it brings out the inner savage in you... The days when medicine was filled with all white men are long gone buddy... Live with it... They will never come back... :) :) :)

My advice...

A) get a life
B) spend your energy trying to fight racism instead of being racist...
c) spend your energy trying to erase old boy admissions

riceman04 said:
I am not Cameron, but I do know him. We were both in NAACP (Rice chapter).
I danced in every soul night and every step. I graduated in 2004 (Martel in da house!)
Does the nickname mcnugget ring a bell?
Is this Alan?
riceman and alan dancing together?...that's hot.

Maybe you guys should start your own thread together called studs with buns.

George Bush may take away Affirmative Action and any programs to help minorities however he cant take away the past. I have lived long enough in this world to realize that Man only cares for himself. Everybody generally are selfish and would rather for themselve to succeed then others. Dont get mad at me but its true. I am african american and one of my white friends told me that I was different. He told me that most African Americans are dumb. He told me that when he and is friends are together they talk about how african american are domesticated slaves. I ask him to tell me because i was curious to know. He told me when he become a physician that he would not want to treat black patients because they may not have insurance. A lot of people feel that way towards my race. We all want to be doctors but how many of us want to be patients. We all want to be winners but how many of us want to be losers. A lot of Whites like the African American culture but how many of them would want to be African American,, the victims.

I am African American and I choose not be the Victim. Yeah I have been racial profiled, mistreated, wrongfully acccused, and this has lowered my self esteem... but i picked myself up and realize I am not a victim until i tell myself. REMEMBER THE PAST AND APPLY IT TO NOW....WE AS HUMAN ARE NOT MEASURED BY OUR EXCUSES BUT HOW WE OVERCOME THOSE EXCUSES. BEHIND EVERY PROGRESSION IS RESISTANCE, EXPECT IT NOW AND FOREVER AND STOP COMPLAINING AND PICK EACH OTHER UP.

My mom makes less then 20k a year and i always supported her and my little sister. I dont make that much money a year but whatever i saved i used it to buy my MCAT books to do well on the MCAT. I can use that for an excuse to fail but I use it for strength to succeed and not to make mistakes.

oh yeah that friend of mine is no longer a friend. :p

i thought by now somebody would have something to say about my comments. But i tend to quiet the critics. :laugh: Any flames :laugh: :idea:

Braveheart said:
Excuse me look at what have been accomplished in the past 475 years of this country as far as technology.

This "country" did not exist 475 years ago. It was established in 1776.

Braveheart said:
However, look at majority of those years that were done to African American. You mean that after all those years of being told that u cant read or write or you will die. Or how about your race being breeded where only the strong were breeded to live and most of the time the weak smart ones were killed.

Hate to brake it to you buddy, but affirmative action was not designed to atone for racism. If it was, then Muslim Americans would be benefitting from the program right now. It sucks that African Americans have been subjected to racism, but that in and of itself is not a reason for the establishment of the program.

Also, to clarify, the people who are currently most likely to serve in underserved areas are International Medical Graduates. If we were really interested in helping the underserved, we would allow more IMG's to practice in this country. In a sense, most of them are also contractually bound to serve in these areas, since they are required to complete a residency, which most often lands them in underserved areas. They don't have the same access to the more desirable residencies that American graduates have. IMG's are also far more likely to enter primary care, again, by the same reasoning. But you all already knew that.

P.S. O'Connor is a republican, and she is liberal. So is Giulianni (on social issues), McCain, and many others. There is a difference between being conservative/liberal and being a member of the republican/democrat party. You are both right. Now can we stop this senseless bickering?

amojan99 said:

you are so right; thanks for pointing out how those who really want to make something out of their lives can; rather than expecting handouts and special considerations

amojan99 said:

you are so right; thanks for pointing out how those who really want to make something out of their lives can; rather than expecting handouts and special considerations

Zuras said:
You are right. I am. One might even call me a minority amongst the white population, kind of like African Americans/Hispanics. It's funny how your logic backfires on you like that, hmm?

Ugh, precisely. AA has nothing to do with historical discrimination, then, we agree.

Common sense, of course. This should have been obvious from my first paragraph. I do not believe persons should be found ostensibly guilty for crimes that have not be proven to have occurred; I don't feel persons merit biased admission standards for them with no proof they are deserving of such.

I've always found it so amazingly ironic that groups that should be the most keenly aware of racial discrimination argue to perpetuate it.

Btw, the evil white men invented the quotation mark for a reason. Please use them.

Whether your white or not, you used white for an example and the point still stands. Historical discrimination goes in the "effects of" category, so it is directly related to todays social issues and why these URM's are just that, URMs.

Its funny all the examples of contemporary racism that cant be denied that I mentioned before, are absent from ppls posts because they are undeniably true. Everyone knows they happen, everyone knows they can detrimentally alter blk ppls lives; but ofcourse, it doesnt matter. They are just mere blk ppl right? As long as everything is denied or taken from them, and everything is given to you, then everything is A OK. Its crazy how frustrated white ppl can become over one little inconvenience in life. That probably isnt effecting them as much as they think. You would change your tune if you could live in the shoes of a blk person for one day. But some of you on this board just refuse to accept the problems in this country and how they were created.

HITMAN said:
This "country" did not exist 475 years ago. It was established in 1776.
HITMAN said:
Sorry about that I guess, but its about 341 years of slavery and legalized discrimination.

LOL, Get your information correct buddy. The other crucial event that would play a role in the development of America was the arrival of Africans to Jamestown. A Dutch slave trader exchanged his cargo of Africans for food in 1619. The Africans became indentured servants, similar in legal position to many poor Englishmen who traded several years labor in exchange for passage to America. The popular conception of a racial-based slave system did not develop until the 1680's. (A Brief History of Jamestown, The Association for the Preservation of Virginia Antiquities, Richmond, VA 23220, email: [email protected], Web published February, 2000)

With nearly 2 million slaves that died along the way.

Oh yeah, we all can agree that Affirmative Action has helped the White females more then anyone else.

I do believe that AA should help ALL people based on socieoeconomic status not race.

A large percentage of URM go back to Underserved areas to practice.

Psycho Doctor said:

Excuse me? White ppl get special consideration and handouts all the time just because they are white. And this proves to be true because the one facet of life that a minority, granted can make it this far through the he77, has any type of advantage over whites ppl, has caused such an uproar; a few hundred seats in this nation. White ppl expect to have the advantage just like everywhere else. And (5-4) your right, they will get it; time can tell when. You have no idea, some ppls live are made for them when their born.