Ahhhhhhh So Annoyed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fleisch

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
GRRRRRRRR.....I am so annoyed right now...So I have still only heard and interviewed at 3 of the 5 schools that I applied to (Harvard, UW, and Oklahoma) of which I got accepted to. The other two schools I applied to were UCLA and UNC. I know that UNC's last interview date is this Saturday, so I pretty much assumed that I had been rejected. This morning I get woken up by a phone call at 7am, by a voice on the other end who introduces herself as Terri, the Registrar at UNC School of Dentistry...She Said, "Yes, Hi, we just received a cancellation from someone for our interview date tomorrow, and we were wondering if there is any way you could come and take his spot tomorrow. You were number one on the list that did not make the cut to be interviewed. We know this is short notice, so just get back to me in thirty minutes on whether or not you can make it." :oops:

UMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM AWESOMMMMMMMME. Awesome that I live in Tucson, Arizona, and that Raleigh Durham aiport is just a measly TRIP ACROSS THE COUNTRY ON ONE DAY'S NOTICE.... not only that, but the flight (of course I looked up flights right away) was for a cheap fare of 853.00 (only if i left tucson within the hour).....

so bummed and deflated, I called her back to let her know that there was no plausible way for me to make it in time without ludicrous cost....She said she understood.... :cool:

This just sucks. If I would have had even ONE MORE DAY to plan it all out, I probably would have just gone for it...but hey, I guess I should just look at it as the luck of the draw??? I mean, I wasnt originally planned to be interviewed at all right?? It just seems so f***** up the way these schools do things sometimes...like, hey, respect the fact that we chalked up alot of dough to apply to your school, we look forward to speedy correspondence, and we DONT want to be asked 24 hours in advance if we could simply "make the interview tomorrow morning at 8am" ACROSS THE COUNTRY. :mad:

K, well, Im dont venting now. Sorry...Im just ticked....I would have rather received a flat out rejection ya know??
:cool:

Members don't see this ad.

fleisch said:
GRRRRRRRR.....I am so annoyed right now...So I have still only heard and interviewed at 3 of the 5 schools that I applied to (Harvard, UW, and Oklahoma) of which I got accepted to the latter two, and I am still waiting to hear from Harvard. The other two schools I applied to were UCLA and UNC. I know that UNC's last interview date is this Saturday, so I pretty much assumed that I had been rejected. This morning I get woken up by a phone call at 7am, by a voice on the other end who introduces herself as Terri, the Registrar at UNC School of Dentistry...She Said, "Yes, Hi, we just received a cancellation from someone for our interview date tomorrow, and we were wondering if there is any way you could come and take his spot tomorrow. You were number one on the list that did not make the cut to be interviewed. We know this is short notice, so just get back to me in thirty minutes on whether or not you can make it." :oops:

UMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM AWESOMMMMMMMME. Awesome that I live in Tucson, Arizona, and that Raleigh Durham aiport is just a measly TRIP ACROSS THE COUNTRY ON ONE DAY'S NOTICE.... not only that, but the flight (of course I looked up flights right away) was for a cheap fare of 853.00 (only if i left tucson within the hour).....

so bummed and deflated, I called her back to let her know that there was no plausible way for me to make it in time without ludicrous cost....She said she understood.... :cool:

This just sucks. If I would have had even ONE MORE DAY to plan it all out, I probably would have just gone for it...but hey, I guess I should just look at it as the luck of the draw??? I mean, I wasnt originally planned to be interviewed at all right?? It just seems so f***** up the way these schools do things sometimes...like, hey, respect the fact that we chalked up alot of dough to apply to your school, we look forward to speedy correspondence, and we DONT want to be asked 24 hours in advance if we could simply "make the interview tomorrow morning at 8am" ACROSS THE COUNTRY. :mad:

K, well, Im dont venting now. Sorry...Im just ticked....I would have rather received a flat out rejection ya know??

Would you like a little cheese with that whine??? How about you be thankful for being accepted to 2 good schools. Let's make a deal, I'll pay the airfare and everything if you give me your spot to Oklahoma! How does that sound?

jdcinza13 said:
Would you like a little cheese with that whine??? How about you be thankful for being accepted to 2 good schools. Let's make a deal, I'll pay the airfare and everything if you give me your spot to Oklahoma! How does that sound?

HA HA...Verrrrrry funny....BTW, how did you Oklahoma interview go? I sent in my deposit already---I might be off to Sooner land afterall..... :p

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Fleisch ~

That NC situation is a bummer, but oh well, maybe it means you are destined for somewhere else. Congrats on your other acceptances and overall success!

Ummm, UNC does interviews tomorrow (on a Saturday)??? That's weird.

I can see how that annoyed you fleisch, they could have offered you a few days to travel there! Even though you have already been accepted to other schools, I can see how this bummed you out.

I am also very annoyed with my situation. Actually, I am more upset. I know my stats are below average, but I thought I would at least have been interviewed by NYU by now (I applied in August!). I am just really bummed out right now and as the days go by I get all the more sad over this. I hate to complain and whine, so I'll end this now!

fleisch said:
HA HA...Verrrrrry funny....BTW, how did you Oklahoma interview go? I sent in my deposit already---I might be off to Sooner land afterall..... :p

The interview was awesome, and though I'm from Arizona, I really want to go to OK. I will definitely agree though that the day before notice sucked! Maybe we'll be in class together next year....if I get accepted!

jdcinza13 said:
The interview was awesome, and though I'm from Arizona, I really want to go to OK. I will definitely agree though that the day before notice sucked! Maybe we'll be in class together next year....if I get accepted!

Good luck getting in! Where in AZ do you live now? Im down at the U of A...cant wait to get outta here...OU is an awesome school....I actually will prolly end up there in reality....my uncle and aunt both graduated from there and they are obsessed with it....even though they let USC stomp on em... :laugh:

fleisch said:
... not only that, but the flight (of course I looked up flights right away) was for a cheap fare of 853.00 (only if i left tucson within the hour).....

You really want to go to UNC, right? You should of gone for it. Man, opportunity presents itself like that you take it - it's fate. I have done this before: made flights in ridiculously small periods of time. Like packing in 10 minutes, and then paying the cabby extra to step on it. And really, what is $853 - nothing when you consider UNC is where you want to be. I'm sure your parents would realize it was worth it.

Think how much of an impression it would make on the adcom. Less than 24 hours notice, and you made the interview. No doubt they would know UNC was your top choice.

I would be annoyed but you should feel lucky you at least got some kind of a chance. If that were your top school you would have forked over the dough I imagine. I guess it is like the "it's better to have loved and lost" or even the "ignorance is bliss" cliches. Take your pic.

fleisch said:
GRRRRRRRR.....I am so annoyed right now...So I have still only heard and interviewed at 3 of the 5 schools that I applied to (Harvard, UW, and Oklahoma) of which I got accepted to the latter two, and I am still waiting to hear from Harvard. The other two schools I applied to were UCLA and UNC. I know that UNC's last interview date is this Saturday, so I pretty much assumed that I had been rejected. This morning I get woken up by a phone call at 7am, by a voice on the other end who introduces herself as Terri, the Registrar at UNC School of Dentistry...She Said, "Yes, Hi, we just received a cancellation from someone for our interview date tomorrow, and we were wondering if there is any way you could come and take his spot tomorrow. You were number one on the list that did not make the cut to be interviewed. We know this is short notice, so just get back to me in thirty minutes on whether or not you can make it." :oops:

totally agree, that sucks, that the admission staff didn't think about the fact that you live half way across the country. I would think that a UNC resident would be the logical choice in selecting a student to interview last minute.

I also agree, who cares, you already been accepted to two other schools.

This is not something to get ticked about!

Amen!

delicious said:
You really want to go to UNC, right? You should of gone for it. Man, opportunity presents itself like that you take it - it's fate. I have done this before: made flights in ridiculously small periods of time. Like packing in 10 minutes, and then paying the cabby extra to step on it. And really, what is $853 - nothing when you consider UNC is where you want to be. I'm sure your parents would realize it was worth it.

Think how much of an impression it would make on the adcom. Less than 24 hours notice, and you made the interview. No doubt they would know UNC was your top choice.

Thinking about this some more: you probably had a really good shot at getting in. Why else would they bother to call you on such short notice?

Members don't see this ad :)
delicious said:
Thinking about this some more: you probably had a really good shot at getting in. Why else would they bother to call you on such short notice?

Im gonna be honest...I would have loved to have gone and interviewed there (hell, why else would I have applied), but in response to the "fate" remark, UNC really wasnt my top choice.....so, in retrospect, my problem is petty I know...it was just sorta frustrating this morning....oh well...life shall go on..:)

Have you tried priceline.com? I heard it worked great in this kind of situation. Anyway, it's ok to vent out loud. Sometimes, I just want to say "WTF" outloud (not very professional, hah?). I'm so frustrated with the application process right now. You almost have to babysit every little thing.
I sent USC a check a month and a half ago. It was cashed in Mid Dec. I didn't know, I sent an additional money order. I was delivered a few days after the check was cashed. Up to this point, the school still shows that my application fee is not paid and tells me to wait another two weeks!
Oregon considers me for an interview but pending for the 4th letter to complete the file.
Loma Linda's app is being held because they have not received the letter from the clergyman.
UOP's class had been filled up even before my app got to the school.
I have not heard a word from UW.
What can I say?

fleisch said:
Im gonna be honest...I would have loved to have gone and interviewed there (hell, why else would I have applied), but in response to the "fate" remark, UNC really wasnt my top choice.....so, in retrospect, my problem is petty I know...it was just sorta frustrating this morning....oh well...life shall go on..:)

Oh, sorry, I got the impression UNC was your top choice. In that case, what the hell are you complaining about?!! Who cares? I thought this thread was pretty cool at first - now I realize it's all about you being a whiny baby.

luder98 said:
Have you tried priceline.com? I heard it worked great in this kind of situation. Anyway, it's ok to vent out loud. Sometimes, I just want to say "WTF" outloud (not very professional, hah?). I'm so frustrated with the application process right now. You almost have to babysit every little thing.
I sent USC a check a month and a half ago. It was cashed in Mid Dec. I didn't know, I sent an additional money order. I was delivered a few days after the check was cashed. Up to this point, the school still shows that my application fee is not paid and tells me to wait another two weeks!
Oregon considers me for an interview but pending for the 4th letter to complete the file.
Loma Linda's app is being held because they have not received the letter from the clergyman.
UOP's class had been filled up even before my app got to the school.
I have not heard a word from UW.
What can I say?

Man, sometimes the tide goes against us....hang in there...after all this, I sure hope you end up somewhere you want to be!! Good luck and keep us updated! Keep your head up!! :thumbup:

delicious said:
Oh, sorry, I got the impression UNC was your top choice. In that case, what the hell are you complaining about?!! Who cares? I thought this thread was pretty cool at first - now I realize it's all about you being a whiny baby.

wow, sorry dude, but i never said that UNC was my top choice in the beginning...to each his own...we all have our own problems...some greater than others....I don't think anyone deserves to be called a "whiny baby" though....geez, someone woke up on more of the wrong side of the bed than i did.... :cool: :p

so is Oklahoma your #1, or is Harvard?

fleisch said:
....I don't think anyone deserves to be called a "whiny baby" though....

Except you maybe. You whiny baby!! :laugh: :laugh:

fleisch said:
Man, sometimes the tide goes against us....hang in there...after all this, I sure hope you end up somewhere you want to be!! Good luck and keep us updated! Keep your head up!! :thumbup:
I thought I would go crazy. I try to take it in a positive way. Maybe I'm not destined to go to a d-school this year. Or maybe it'd be better for me to re-apply early next year. After all, I'm fortunate to still have my job. I should be thankful for that.

fleisch said:

I understand your pain and frustration. Maybe Scottie could have beamed you right over to the campus (and perhaps that is what they were thinking)! :D

Quick question....................what is a sooner??!?!?!?!? :confused:

fleisch said:
wow, sorry dude, but i never said that UNC was my top choice in the beginning...to each his own...we all have our own problems...some greater than others....I don't think anyone deserves to be called a "whiny baby" though....geez, someone woke up on more of the wrong side of the bed than i did.... :cool: :p

I agree that you are a "whiny baby". You already have 2 acceptances, and UNC is not your top choice, so what are you complaining about? In your post, you made such a big deal about UNC, no wonder people thought this school is your top choice. Please, even if you have the notice a week ahead, would you still go? Would you pay for the taxi, airplane ticket, and travel expense to go for an interview at a school that you not 100% want to go there. You should appreciate what you are having right now, and don't be so greedy. There are thousands of applicants who are dying for an interview and an acceptance by now.

Dr.Smiley-OR said:
In your post, you made such a big deal about UNC, no wonder people thought this school is your top choice.

True that.

luder98 said:
I thought I would go crazy. I try to take it in a positive way. Maybe I'm not destined to go to a d-school this year. Or maybe it'd be better for me to re-apply early next year. After all, I'm fortunate to still have my job. I should be thankful for that.

Whats up luder.... I was thinking the same thing... but just remember ... this cycle ain't over just yet... just be ready on the dime...

On another note... I just went over to Davis the other week... mini vacation... I finally picked up my Diploma from Mrak.... finally after 5 years after graduation hahahhah

drat said:
delicious-

wow. i'm not laughing -- i'm crying, because i think it's sad how mean-spirited and pointless most of your posts are.

ok drat. I'm like that sarcastic friend you have, always saying something dumb but not meaning any real offense. Come on, you have to admit the Loma Linda thing was funny? Seriously, did you think that was funny? If not, tell me, and I'll re-evaluate my presence on SDN. It seemed pretty obvious to me that dental students wouldn't be learning the bible in Greek.

delicious said:
ok drat. I'm like that sarcastic friend you have, always saying something dumb but not meaning any real offense. Come on, you have to admit the Loma Linda thing was funny? Seriously, did you think that was funny? If not, tell me, and I'll re-evaluate my presence on SDN. It seemed pretty obvious to me that dental students wouldn't be learning the bible in Greek.

Sometimes sarcasm and jokes are tough to distinguish on forums, maybe when you're making a joke put (jk) after it so you don't confuse everyone

nothen2do said:
Sometimes sarcasm and jokes are tough to distinguish on forums, maybe when you're making a joke put (jk) after it so you don't confuse everyone

Yeah, maybe you're right. Won't be as funny that way though I feel.

Lemme try it out: Fleisch, you're a whiny baby!! (jk)

Hmm, I'm not turning green and tearing my shirt off. Maybe this'll work. haha

I feel ya... I just ran into the same problem with USC. I'm looking at cancelling my interview for 1/14 there if prices don't go down. I just can't afford to do it. I had a little more notice than you, so it's not as bad, but I understand. It's so frustrating!

I'm frustrated with these admissions in general... I'm so poor after all of this... haha. I had to literally starve myself last quarter because I had spent all of my money on fees/plane fare/etc. and couldn't afford groceries.

Are you planning on going to OK? Because I haven't heard from UW since my interview... maybe I could snag your spot there ;) hehehe

Mikheil--Yep, sent away my "Thanks but No Thanks" to UW today...so there is your spot:)...hahah....

Delicious--Im looking forward to you working on some unsuspecting 10 year old in a couple of years as he starts to cry, and you calling him a "whiny baby" in front of his mom...that'll make you the big bucks some day for sure....

HAAAAAAAAA.....JKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKkkk (you could use some more JK's in your life dude) :laugh:

fleisch, don't listen to these people that tell you that just b/c you already have a few acceptances, you aren't allowed to be hopeful for more. you worked hard and deserve all the interviews and acceptances you can get. :thumbup:

Biogirl361 said:
fleisch, don't listen to these people that tell you that just b/c you already have a few acceptances, you aren't allowed to be hopeful for more.

Uh huh, that's not what I was saying. I was trying to tell her that b/c she has already been accepted to some schools, she shouldn't be all melodrama and spazz about an interview at a school she says she doesn't want to go to anyway.

Fatty!!! (jk)

fleisch said:
Delicious--Im looking forward to you working on some unsuspecting 10 year old in a couple of years as he starts to cry, and you calling him a "whiny baby" in front of his mom...that'll make you the big bucks some day for sure....

Oh man, that'll be the day alright.... fat-head!!!! (jk)

boogaking said:
On another note... I just went over to Davis the other week... mini vacation... I finally picked up my Diploma from Mrak.... finally after 5 years after graduation hahahhah

Hi boogaking,

I'm an aggie too! Graduated 2001. What schools did you apply to?

Sorry to hear about that. Two things:

1. Perhaps, you are simply supposed to go elsewhere. UNC is fantastic, but you have other excellent choices as well. I'm sure you will do great wherever you go.

2. You have to think about cost. You may have liked UNC a lot, but that is a very large amount of money considering all of the other costs in the application and interview process. You made a reasonable decision.

Best of luck with the rest of the process!

Dukie said:
Sorry to hear about that. Two things:

1. Perhaps, you are simply supposed to go elsewhere. UNC is fantastic, but you have other excellent choices as well. I'm sure you will do great wherever you go.

2. You have to think about cost. You may have liked UNC a lot, but that is a very large amount of money considering all of the other costs in the application and interview process. You made a reasonable decision.

Best of luck with the rest of the process!

Thanks so much Dukie!!
Your advice was well-said and well-received...:) I think you are definitely right about the cost factor....I dont know if it wouold have been all that worth it in the long run...Good luck to you as well! :thumbup:

if it makes you feel better fleisch, the way some people made it sound at the UNC interview, its really hard to get in for in state or out of state. I was at the interview today. The more I saw of the school, the more I loved it. Its so hard to get an idea of where you stand because I am sure everyone thought their interviews went really well.. This sucks but it could be alot worse. It was always my first choice but today just reaffirmed that. I wonder if I saw any of you. Lets hope they like me. If UNC isnt your first choice, then i would just enjoy getting into other schools. Its all about the fit. I got accepted to Penn, and while I think I might be happy there, I am sure I will be happy at UNC because it has everything I want in a school. I am sure other people feel the same way about Penn or another school. I just hope we all get into our first choice and congrats to those who already did. :thumbup:

ranark said:
if it makes you feel better fleisch, the way some people made it sound at the UNC interview, its really hard to get in for in state or out of state. I was at the interview today. The more I saw of the school, the more I loved it. Its so hard to get an idea of where you stand because I am sure everyone thought their interviews went really well.. This sucks but it could be alot worse. It was always my first choice but today just reaffirmed that. I wonder if I saw any of you. Lets hope they like me. If UNC isnt your first choice, then i would just enjoy getting into other schools. Its all about the fit. I got accepted to Penn, and while I think I might be happy there, I am sure I will be happy at UNC because it has everything I want in a school. I am sure other people feel the same way about Penn or another school. I just hope we all get into our first choice and congrats to those who already did. :thumbup:

I am sure some of you were there at my interview but i guess no one wants to reply..

also, wanted to know if anyone from sdn will be going to unc next year since the first group of accepted students should have paid their deposits by now.

anyone hear how many spots are left?

(I am going to keep praying and hoping)

ranark said:
I am sure some of you were there at my interview but i guess no one wants to reply..

also, wanted to know if anyone from sdn will be going to unc next year since the first group of accepted students should have paid their deposits by now.

anyone hear how many spots are left?

(I am going to keep praying and hoping)

wow, tough crowd

ranark said:
wow, tough crowd

Just thought I'd say "HI" ranark, I am pulling for you at UNC!! :)