Alabama Schools Thread Part 2!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got in off the waitlist :) Looks like I'm going to UAB!!!! I'm so excited, UAB was/is my top choice.

Its gonna be really hard studying for finals now...

Congrats! Awesome news for those of us on the upper tier waitlist as well.

Members don't see this ad.

congrats... and sweet jesus I didn't expect movement this early.... just imagine may 15th...

Just got in off the waitlist :) Looks like I'm going to UAB!!!! I'm so excited, UAB was/is my top choice.

Its gonna be really hard studying for finals now...

Congrats, screw finals...not really...but really...! Is this unusually early for waitlist movement? That can only be a good thing for those on the USA waitlist right?

Members don't see this ad :)
I would say this is extremely rare considering that they oversubscribe the class to begin with and most people usually wait until they find out what kind of financial aid package they are getting to decide on a school. I know last year that the UASOM waitlist didn't move until May 16th, but it moved all the way down to the middle tier on that day. And I agree the more waitlist movement at UASOM and just in general is a good thing for the USA waitlist.

I would say this is extremely rare considering that they oversubscribe the class to begin with and most people usually wait until they find out what kind of financial aid package they are getting to decide on a school. I know last year that the UASOM waitlist didn't move until May 16th, but it moved all the way down to the middle tier on that day. And I agree the more waitlist movement at UASOM and just in general is a good thing for the USA waitlist.

Packages have already been sent out (accord to the UASOM 2013 facebook page).

maybe it will dip into the lower third!! oh how wonderful dreams can be

Packages have already been sent out (accord to the UASOM 2013 facebook page).

Another post on there says mid May. I have nothing on Blazernet yet.

Am I the only one who cant stop checking out the USACOM facebook group and hoping that people don't join it?

I got my acceptance email from UAB today at around 3:30pm--Huntsville campus assignment.

For the next day or so, I'm going to ignore the fact that they consider me an out-of-state applicant and just focus on celebrating!

Best wishes to everyone...it's a pretty good day for a Monday.

I got my acceptance email from UAB today at around 3:30pm--Huntsville campus assignment.

For the next day or so, I'm going to ignore the fact that they consider me an out-of-state applicant and just focus on celebrating!

Congratulations LumberJack!!!

Congratulations!

CONGRATES on getting those acceptancs from UASOM guys!!!! Hopefully there will be a lot more movement in the near future for the rest of us.

So are you guys going to drop the spots at USA or wait until May 14?

Members don't see this ad :)

Heck ya man! Me too @ Huntsville. Congrats man :)

grats LJ! Now all you need to do is convince them that you are infact instate.

a little update: I am taking the MCAT again this saturday after mark scott told me that going from a 30-31 "didn't look so good." Good news? I am scoring 38+ on all the AAMC practice tests.

CONGRATES on getting those acceptancs from UASOM guys!!!! Hopefully there will be a lot more movement in the near future for the rest of us.

So are you guys going to drop the spots at USA or wait until May 14?

I'm going to wait until scholarships come out, but I'm pretty much decided on USA over UAB.

Congrats to you all on getting into UASOM! I'm sure the air tastes sweeter! It sure did for me when I got into South...

Question though, has anyone heard from South about aid packages yet? I haven't heard anything yet.

-Begin Shilling-

Also, not to be a shill or anything but I have a bunch of admissions books that I need to get rid of:

The Medical School Interview, Jeremiah Fleenor (Brand New, Fleenor is an SDN contributor, and book is pretty decent if you're struggling on how to position yourself....a good read early in the cycle, not as you're in the home stretch of prepping for the interview)

And a bunch of MBA prep books:

The Official Guide to GMAT Review, 11th Ed. Orange Cover (Retail - $35)

Kaplan GMAT 800, Advanced Prep 2008-2009 Edition (Retail $25)

65 Successful Harvard Business School Application Essays (Retail $15)

How To Get Into The Top MBA Programs, 4th Ed. by Richard Montauk (Retail $30)

If anyone's interested PM me please. Thanks!

-End Shilling-

Yea Lumberjack!!!

Question though, has anyone heard from South about aid packages yet? I haven't heard anything yet.

I have the loans, but no scholarships yet. Hopefully they'll be out before May 15th

Hey guys, lets do a waitlist movement tally like they have just created in the waitlist movement thread. This way, we can see what the Alabama schools are doing without having to scroll through the rest of the crap.

when posting lets try to follow the following format:

UAB: your name (A: date, tier on WL)
USA: your name (A: date)

For example:

UAB: LumberJack (A: 4/27, 1st tier)

lumberjack...have u decided on uasom or are u going to wait and c what u hear from south...im leaning more towards south right now and just wanted to hear ur thoughts. Thanks

lumberjack...have u decided on uasom or are u going to wait and c what u hear from south...im leaning more towards south right now and just wanted to hear ur thoughts. Thanks

Memphisdoc,

I'm still on the fence somewhat, although not by my own choosing. Assuming I get into South, I'll try to make my decision as soon as I possibly can. I've got some things to iron out with UAB first.

UAB: your name (A: date, tier on WL)
USA: your name (A: date)

For example:

UAB: LumberJack (A: 4/27, 1st tier), veejl (A: 3/24, 1st tier)

Great. Tomorrow the health department will probably have me stationed at my office window shooting oseltamivir tablets from a paintball gun into the angry mob below.

Waitlist Acceptances

UAB: veejl (A: 4/23, 1st tier), LumberJack (A: 4/27, 1st tier),

USA:

Good luck VanBrown and anyone else taking the MCAT tomorrow!

Yeah, Good Luck VanBrown. Knock it out of the park! 35+

So are there any people here on the upper tier that have yet to get in yet?

So are there any people here on the upper tier that have yet to get in yet?

At USA? I don't know of anyone...I do know that the facebook group is up to 35 people and I know 2 people going that are not in the group...don't they matriculate around 60? If so, it's not looking good for those at the bottom

As a side note I think a helicopter just flew 5 feet above my apartment as I typed this

Sorry, I should have clarified, I meant UASOM. I'm on the lower at UASOM and somewhere on the waitlist at USACOM. I wouldn't get too hung up on facebook groups. I don't know about the USACOM group, but UASOM facebook group usually has a lot of current 1st and 2nd year students in it to give advice and try to sell stuff, etc.. Also, I believe USACOM has around 76 seats in its class. Don't get too discouraged, miracles can happen. A lot of people on the waitlist ahead of you might have gotten into another school and dropped their waitlist spot, so you just never know.

Sorry, I should have clarified, I meant UASOM. I'm on the lower at UASOM and somewhere on the waitlist at USACOM. I wouldn't get too hung up on facebook groups. I don't know about the USACOM group, but UASOM facebook group usually has a lot of current 1st and 2nd year students in it to give advice and try to sell stuff, etc.. Also, I believe USACOM has around 76 seats in its class. Don't get too discouraged, miracles can happen. A lot of people on the waitlist ahead of you might have gotten into another school and dropped their waitlist spot, so you just never know.

Thanks for the slight encouragement...I'm not sure if you can answer this, but what happens if enough people turn USA down so they take everyone off the waitlist and have, say, 65 matriculants...does their class size just drop by 11? It just seems logical for them to oversubscribe the waitlist a bit leaving them some buffer room ya know?

Hi, I have never actually posted in this thread but have been monitoring it regularly. I am currently on the upper tier at UASOM and have gotten an acceptance at USACOM. I am still undecided about where I want to go but am leaning toward UASOM should I get in there. Good luck to everyone who is still waiting and those of you taking the MCAT again!

Thanks for the slight encouragement...I'm not sure if you can answer this, but what happens if enough people turn USA down so they take everyone off the waitlist and have, say, 65 matriculants...does their class size just drop by 11? It just seems logical for them to oversubscribe the waitlist a bit leaving them some buffer room ya know?

Don't count on this. I would predict movement to be unlikely to be huge this year. With the crunch on loans and personal savings people who have good state schools (as we do) will likely be sticking closer to home. I'd also suggest that USA does its acceptances pretty carefully and since that much dropoff in the matrics hasn't happened as yet I'm pretty sure they're good at matching the number of WLers they keep.

Not to be discouraging with the first part of my statement, I just think people are unlikely to spring $56k to go to BU or something when they can go to USA/UAB for 18k.

Don't count on this. I would predict movement to be unlikely to be huge this year. With the crunch on loans and personal savings people who have good state schools (as we do) will likely be sticking closer to home. I'd also suggest that USA does its acceptances pretty carefully and since that much dropoff in the matrics hasn't happened as yet I'm pretty sure they're good at matching the number of WLers they keep.

Not to be discouraging with the first part of my statement, I just think people are unlikely to spring $56k to go to BU or something when they can go to USA/UAB for 18k.

I was kind of under the impression that the UAB waitlist movement would be fairly significant this year. Maybe it's just my unrealistic hope, though. I was mainly basing that off of three things. Somebody several pages back (DocBama, maybe, I forget, but it was the day it was announced that all acceptances had been mailed out) posted that the admission office told them that they were expecting quite a bit of movement, maybe around 40 people or so. Also, some people on the first tier have already been called up. This seems extremely early, especially considering in previous years (on SDN) there was no waitlist movement until May 15th. And lastly, UAB seemed to be very hyperselective in who they granted admissions to this year. I haven't seen hardly any 3.7/30's (your average at UAB) accepted. Almost everyone has been above those numbers. Now granted this is a small pool (only people on this website) so it may not be conclusive. I am not sure the economy has yet to affect medical school. I might me wrong, but I still think as long as you get your FAFSA in at a decent time, you should be able to get the loans that you need. I wasn't trying to call you (^^^) out or anything, mostly just spark conversation and to ease my own worries. :)

I was kind of under the impression that the UAB waitlist movement would be fairly significant this year. Maybe it's just my unrealistic hope, though. I was mainly basing that off of three things. Somebody several pages back (DocBama, maybe, I forget, but it was the day it was announced that all acceptances had been mailed out) posted that the admission office told them that they were expecting quite a bit of movement, maybe around 40 people or so. Also, some people on the first tier have already been called up. This seems extremely early, especially considering in previous years (on SDN) there was no waitlist movement until May 15th. And lastly, UAB seemed to be very hyperselective in who they granted admissions to this year. I haven't seen hardly any 3.7/30's (your average at UAB) accepted. Almost everyone has been above those numbers. Now granted this is a small pool (only people on this website) so it may not be conclusive. I am not sure the economy has yet to affect medical school. I might me wrong, but I still think as long as you get your FAFSA in at a decent time, you should be able to get the loans that you need. I wasn't trying to call you (^^^) out or anything, mostly just spark conversation and to ease my own worries. :)

Oh no worries. I don't think anyone can really predict what's going to happen effectively but I made my statement based on a few things: 1. USA is usually pretty selective in terms of hitting the sweet spot of stats and personality since they always have to contend with the spectre of UAB stealing their candidates b/c of name, 2. UAB nearly oversubscribed last year so I think their issues are different b/c they have skewed much more selectively this year and hence purposely built their class to be more likely to defect(so I agree that you'll see some pull from the WL) but I would argue that it's not just loans, I know several people whose parents just can't afford to help them b/c they need to rebuild 401ks etc. so that becomes a consideration for a lot of people and hence even some of the higher achievers / super stat-ers will likely stick with their in-state option (esp. when it has the research rep that UAB does).

But, as I said, no one knows since so many variables are in play here. I think this will be a very unusual cycle at most every school. I know that if I had choices to make my financial aid would def have a big part to play but as you said, maybe if FAFSA went in early enough loans etc. would come through. But at the same time, a number of schools are having trouble coming up with LOANS not grants / straight aid for undergrads (!) which is unheard of, so I have my misgivings about grad fin aid but I guess all we can do is wait and see.

2. UAB nearly oversubscribed last year so I think their issues are different b/c they have skewed much more selectively this year and hence purposely built their class to be more likely to defect(so I agree that you'll see some pull from the WL)

First of all, I agree with both of you that none of us really know what is going on. I don't really understand your above statement. Are you saying that last year they all put out too many acceptances compared to seats? I know that on May 16th last year, the waitlist moved all the way to the middle tier. And by the end of the summer, they were in the lower tier, so if anything they almost ran out of people on the waitlist.

I agree some people might decide to stay in state this year, but on the other hand, will out of staters decide to stay in their state rather than pay basically 50k a year in tuition at UAB?

First of all, I agree with both of you that none of us really know what is going on. I don't really understand your above statement. Are you saying that last year they all put out too many acceptances compared to seats? I know that on May 16th last year, the waitlist moved all the way to the middle tier. And by the end of the summer, they were in the lower tier, so if anything they almost ran out of people on the waitlist.

I agree some people might decide to stay in state this year, but on the other hand, will out of staters decide to stay in their state rather than pay basically 50k a year in tuition at UAB?

Just to add some thoughts to your two points:
1) Even though UAB had to dip into the lower third last year, only a total of 21 accepted an offer. Dean Smith said 81 of 90 on their waitlist last year got accepted somewhere, while only 21 of those went to UAB, meaning UAB only had room for 21 more people. This also means that at least 60 people on the waitlist had offers from other schools along with UAB.

2) I know that UAB has to fill 90% of their class with instaters, but can they go higher than that? I know the more out of staters they accept, the higher MCAT and GPA averages will be. I just wonder if less OOS's decide not to pay the $50k, (like you said, and I agree with you), will UAB keep try to keep the 90/10 ratio or will they be willing to have their stats average drop slightly?

I don't think the negativity here is constructive in any way...especially when it's based on speculation..has anyone called USA to see how the waitlist is looking at this point? I hate making those calls :)

I don't think the negativity here is constructive in any way...especially when it's based on speculation..has anyone called USA to see how the waitlist is looking at this point? I hate making those calls :)

Those calls are the worst.

VanBrown, be sure to let us know how the MCAT went!

any day now....usa and uab!!!
so...will south send an email first or just regular mail?

The sad thing is that May 15th falls on a Friday, so there is a strong possibility that we will all have to wait over the weekend for major waitlist movement. But who knows, I would have never guessed that people would be getting off the waitlist already.

Has anyone even heard of current waitlist movement at South? What has been the case in previous years? Do they wait until after the 15th to send out notifications?

so the MCAT went pretty well... PS was kind of a beast but I feel that everyone kind of gets worked over on it so I should be OK.

Hoping for a 35+... nice long month of waiting to find out.

In other news... I got an email from Dean Smith which said he was reviewing my file and noticed I had sent updates about my grades in the spring/fall and he requested I send him an official transcript. Don't know what to take from this but hopefully it means that they made a premature decision regarding my file and are now reevaluating my position. Who knows?

Anyways I hope everyone is doing well.

In other news... I got an email from Dean Smith which said he was reviewing my file and noticed I had sent updates about my grades in the spring/fall and he requested I send him an official transcript. Don't know what to take from this but hopefully it means that they made a premature decision regarding my file and are now reevaluating my position. Who knows?

Hell, it can't be BAD news. Maybe you'll get bumped up a tier or two. I wish you the best.

I know UAB moved a little this week

My UAB financial aid package came out today. Anybody get scholarships? None here.

My UAB financial aid package came out today. Anybody get scholarships? None here.

I didn't get a UAB financial package yet... I had my stuff filled out months ago. No scholarship info either.