Alabama Schools Thread Part 2!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
KDsims what have you been doing for the last two years? Congrats.

Members don't see this ad.

KDsims what have you been doing for the last two years? Congrats.

I got my MPH in epidemiology (2006), have been working in HIV Prevention research ever since, took several post bacc courses and upped my MCAT by 7 points.

Now, I just hope those who have found that they are in else where (and know that they are going to attend those schools) will withdraw themselves from USA sooner than later so that they free up a spot for those of us still waiting.

I withdraw my acceptance from USA yesterday.

Congrats kdsims!!!! I'm so excited for you!

Members don't see this ad :)
I did not adequately prepare myself for the period of inactivity between notification of alternate list placement and the eventual notification of acceptance/rejection.

Grrr.

Sorry...I guess that statement was more vague than I had intended it to be. I'm just saying that so far I'm not enjoying the prospect of not hearing anything for another 2-3 months.

This is why I'm glad I got an outright reject from UASOM....not knowing where I was going by being on the WL would have annoyed me - now I can move on and plan. I mean I was already leaning towards South but I'm not sure I would have had the strength of will to pick the smaller school over the name (since I'm aiming for some specialties where the school counts in a big way) so it's nice that the decision was made for me and I'm pleased about where I'm going.

I get the feeling that you'll know sooner rather than later b/c they restricted the accepts so much this year. So look forward to an expedited process of being pulled off the WL (I believe). :luck:

This is why I'm glad I got an outright reject from UASOM....not knowing where I was going by being on the WL would have annoyed me - now I can move on and plan. I mean I was already leaning towards South but I'm not sure I would have had the strength of will to pick the smaller school over the name (since I'm aiming for some specialties where the school counts in a big way) so it's nice that the decision was made for me and I'm pleased about where I'm going.

I get the feeling that you'll know sooner rather than later b/c they restricted the accepts so much this year. So look forward to an expedited process of being pulled off the WL (I believe). :luck:

A silver lining, indeed.

It would rock if people would start dropping off right now, but I'm not expecting anything until May at the earliest. I guess it depends on exactly where I'm positioned within my third of the list. Does anyone have any idea when USA will release its own alternate list?

I just got back from a 5 day vacation in New York to find a USA acceptance in my mail box!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now I wish I had caller earlier like everyone else, which would have made this vacation soo much better.

I just got back from a 5 day vacation in New York to find a USA acceptance in my mail box!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now I wish I had caller earlier like everyone else, which would have made this vacation soo much better.

Congratulations HsvFixed!!! There's not a better feeling than an acceptance letter in hand!

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess the letters from USASOM are out, I got mine yesterday in the mail. I already knew I was accepted, but I wanted to confirm with HsvFixed that the letters are out and starting to arrive. So check your mail! By the way, congratulations HsvFixed, I'll see you in the fall!

Congratulations!

I guess the letters from USASOM are out, I got mine yesterday in the mail. I already knew I was accepted, but I wanted to confirm with HsvFixed that the letters are out and starting to arrive. So check your mail! By the way, congratulations HsvFixed, I'll see you in the fall!

Congrats again on your acceptance to USACOM! I know you are Mobile-bound, but what is your current status with UAB? I checked your previous posts, but I didn't see anything about you being waitlisted/accepted in Birmingham.

Congrats again on your acceptance to USACOM! I know you are Mobile-bound, but what is your current status with UAB? I checked your previous posts, but I didn't see anything about you being waitlisted/accepted in Birmingham.

I applied to UAB but never filled out the secondary application. I wanted to either go to USA or to the University of Utah. My husband is from Utah and that's where we've been living for the past year, but I'm from Mobile. I just didn't want to move to upper Alabama for medical school, because I wanted to stay near family (mine or his, didn't matter). Sadly, I did not get in at the University of Utah School of Medicine. :( I really thought I would, as I didn't get in there last year, and they told me I would have a good chance this year. Then they lowered the class size by 40 people this year, and I was still an out of state applicant.

So, it looks like I'll be moving back to Alabama! I'm kind of glad, as I've been homesick for some time, and I really think that the small class size of USA is very beneficial. I'm just excited to be going to medical school this year!

So to those who have been rejected, I've been there twice from the University of Utah, and once from USA, so I know how awful it feels. Please don't give up and try again!

I applied to UAB but never filled out the secondary application. I wanted to either go to USA or to the University of Utah. My husband is from Utah and that's where we've been living for the past year, but I'm from Mobile. I just didn't want to move to upper Alabama for medical school, because I wanted to stay near family (mine or his, didn't matter). Sadly, I did not get in at the University of Utah School of Medicine. :( I really thought I would, as I didn't get in there last year, and they told me I would have a good chance this year. Then they lowered the class size by 40 people this year, and I was still an out of state applicant.

So, it looks like I'll be moving back to Alabama! I'm kind of glad, as I've been homesick for some time, and I really think that the small class size of USA is very beneficial. I'm just excited to be going to medical school this year!

So to those who have been rejected, I've been there twice from the University of Utah, and once from USA, so I know how awful it feels. Please don't give up and try again!

Thanks for the detailed response. I'm sorry to hear about Utah; I'm sure that would have been a great experience. Still, USACOM looked great when I interviewed down there, and I completely sympathize with you for not being too pumped about living in upper Alabama when you can live on the coast surrounded by family/friends.

Does anyone know how many people have been accepted at USA so far? I would call and ask but they do not seem to appreciate these sort of calls and I hate being that guy.

I'm hoping that they are still at a highly selective stage..maybe it's a new thing they're trying in order to give the perception of high selectivity to lure some UAB acceptances over to USA...I know some qualified applicants that received a hold card, so I'm kind of confused

I think they've lowered the imaginary bar once. I also believe I remember Mark Scott saying it usually gets lowered a few times over the course of the process. So there should be another wave at some point.

What is this new "reputation" thing??:confused:

I've been on a forum where reputation was used instead of post count. Seems to correlate on the few posters I recognize.

EDIT:
Not sure about the correlation to posts anymore. I have about 60/70 posts, but no reputation.

Click the little scale between the green and hazard symbols on the bottom right of a post. Seems you can give rep posts to good posts.

Chemnerd, have you gotten your "official" acceptance letter from UAB yet? I still haven't received mine and was accepted Feb. 10th. It's taking them FOREVER.

A-ha! Announcements at the top of SDN really help to elucidate things.

NEW! After much member debate, the overwhelming response was to reinstate "SDN Karma Points" on the forums. This will replace post count. To avoid some of the negative issues with "Karma Points" they have been renamed "Reputation Points."

Looks like I have poor karma/reputation... guess I'll be reincarnated as a cricket or something...

Chemnerd, have you gotten your "official" acceptance letter from UAB yet? I still haven't received mine and was accepted Feb. 10th. It's taking them FOREVER.

Nope. I think it took forever last year, too. People were starting to get paranoid.

So...yeah. It appears the reputation points thing was a lame attempt at an April Fools joke. Not nearly as entertaining as Google's CADIE or Gmail AutoPilot.

So...yeah. It appears the reputation points thing was a lame attempt at an April Fools joke. Not nearly as entertaining as Google's CADIE or Gmail AutoPilot.

yeah, pretty lame. I still have the 10+ year member thing, though

I second that. Especially since they have to make it all the way through the upper and middle thirds......then dip into the lower third.:xf:

Last edited:
I heard UAB went into the lower third last year.

That's the rumor. Of course that doesn't mean that they will this year.

Has anyone called or e-mailed to see if any change has taken place at South with people on "hold?

I called South last week and I was on hold. I just got an e-mail at 3:01 pm saying that I am on the alternate list. I don't know what position on the waitlist or anything. They don't even divide it up into tiers I guess.

So if I have not received an e-mail that means I am probably waiting on a rejection letter?

My email from Mark Scott came today at 3:00pm. I've been placed on the alternate list. Nothing said about tier.
LJ, I will trade you my USA acceptance for your upper third spot on UAB's waitlist.

Let's say you're at the very bottom of the waitlist at USA...what are your chances of acceptance, roughly speaking?

What Mr. Scott said on my interview day was "If you get a spot on our alternate list, you should plan on attending in the fall."

I don't remember if he said the exact size of the list or not, but I've heard rumblings that it's around 20 or so.

What Mr. Scott said on my interview day was "If you get a spot on our alternate list, you should plan on attending in the fall."

I don't remember if he said the exact size of the list or not, but I've heard rumblings that it's around 20 or so.

I remember that too, but for some reason i remember it being 30...i called the office and after some hesitation they told me bottom 1/3 but they didn't seem to think that my chances were that great..I'm on edge and just can't handle another disappointment...i feel like i'm sooo close

If I didn't get an e-mail, should I e-mail Mark Scott and see what I should do to improve my application or wait until I get the rejection letter (or hopefully still an e-mail)?

If I didn't get an e-mail, should I e-mail Mark Scott and see what I should do to improve my application or wait until I get the rejection letter (or hopefully still an e-mail)?

How does that even work? What if so many people turn USA down that they go through the wait list and have more spots?

Well I received my official rejection letter in the snail mail today. (I never even interviewed though). I am going to call tomorrow to set up an appointment to see how to improve my application.

I remember that too, but for some reason i remember it being 30...i called the office and after some hesitation they told me bottom 1/3 but they didn't seem to think that my chances were that great..I'm on edge and just can't handle another disappointment...i feel like i'm sooo close

I bet it will work out for you. So you just called them up and asked them what tier you were? Did you talk to Scott or to someone else? I'm entertaining the idea of calling down there myself tomorrow.

I bet it will work out for you. So you just called them up and asked them what tier you were? Did you talk to Scott or to someone else? I'm entertaining the idea of calling down there myself tomorrow.

Yeah I talked to the secretary...I kept asking questions like...how would you rate my chances, etc etc..until she told me the tier...i don't think she was supposed to though..good luck!