Alabama Schools Thread Part 2!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
yea got an alternate email from USA today as well. I remember him saying almost everyone on the waitlist gets in. so it's a good thing!

Members don't see this ad.

I remember hearing that alternate list = acceptance more or less.

yea got an alternate email from USA today as well. I remember him saying almost everyone on the waitlist gets in. so it's a good thing!

yeah i'm thankful but at the same time just worried :scared: I mean if I'm in the lower third, and NEARLY everyone gets in, I could have only like a 70% chance...

Members don't see this ad :)
Just called the USA admissions office to ask if they would mind telling me my tier on the alternate list. Response: "I'm sorry, sir. We don't give out that information." I didn't press the issue.

I'm not trying to be a Debbie Downer here, but I was on the alternate list two different years at USA. Once in the middle third and once in the bottom third and ofcourse neither time did I get in. It's possible but it can be heartbreaking to have too high of expectations.

I'm not trying to be a Debbie Downer here, but I was on the alternate list two different years at USA. Once in the middle third and once in the bottom third and ofcourse neither time did I get in. It's possible but it can be heartbreaking to have too high of expectations.

Oh wow, I couldn't even imagine what that was like.

:scared: How can they say that the alternate list is pretty much an acceptance if you didn't get in 2 times from it?!?! when was this?

:scared: How can they say that the alternate list is pretty much an acceptance if you didn't get in 2 times from it?!?! when was this?

from last year's thread. people from the bottom third actually ended up getting in. so it just varies year to year depending on the applicants. Who knows what it will be like this year!

In previous years, did they tell you in the email what tier you were? This year it just says you are on the alternate list.

2005 and 2006 (skipped 2007)...I really think it just depends on the year...I just happened to hit two bad ones in a row for alternates! I don't recall getting an e-mail...just a letter in the mail saying what tier I was in.

2005 and 2006 (skipped 2007)...I really think it just depends on the year...I just happened to hit two bad ones in a row for alternates! I don't recall getting an e-mail...just a letter in the mail saying what tier I was in.

It really sucks that we're not being told about our tier placement. Sorry this post is so obvious and uninformative, but man...I'm not in the mood for being jerked around.

EDIT: Just to clarify...I'm saying that my post is uninformative, not kdsims'.

It really sucks that we're not being told about our tier placement. Sorry this post is so obvious and uninformative, but man...I'm not in the mood for being jerked around.

LJ, what will you do with an acceptance to USA and UAB, since your conisdered in-state at south and out-of-state at UAB...will that make a difference for you?

LJ, what will you do with an acceptance to USA and UAB, since your conisdered in-state at south and out-of-state at UAB...will that make a difference for you?

Yes, it will make a difference to me, but if I matriculate at UAB it won't be as an out-of-state student. Currently working on that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, it will make a difference to me, but if I matriculate at UAB it won't be as an out-of-state student. Currently working on that.

Good for you! Glad you're not letting UAB get away with that.

Thanks for the support. I don't know how it will turn out, but logically it should go in my favor.

-- Lived here for 3 years
-- Received in-state tuition during graduate school at UAB
-- Former graduate assistant in the Department of Emergency Medicine
-- AL driver's license, voter registration, vehicle registration, car tag
-- Former employee of the State of AL
-- Current employee of Jefferson County, AL
-- Paid AL state income taxes in 2006, 2007, 2008
-- No longer considered a MS resident by UMC School of Medicine
-- Considered a resident by USACOM

If that doesn't work, I guess I'll just go **** myself.

Thanks for the support. I don't know how it will turn out, but logically it should go in my favor.

-- Lived here for 3 years
-- Received in-state tuition during graduate school at UAB
-- Former graduate assistant in the Department of Emergency Medicine
-- AL driver's license, voter registration, vehicle registration, car tag
-- Former employee of the State of AL
-- Current employee of Jefferson County, AL
-- Paid AL state income taxes in 2006, 2007, 2008
-- No longer considered a MS resident by UMC School of Medicine
-- Considered a resident by USACOM

If that doesn't work, I guess I'll just go **** myself.

:

Last edited:
So, the official UAB letter finally came today. It was dated March 24th, postmarked April 7th, and the matriculation form is due back April 7th! I don't think it's a big deal, just weird.

So, the official UAB letter finally came today. It was dated March 24th, postmarked April 7th, and the matriculation form is due back April 7th! I don't think it's a big deal, just weird.

Yikes. I hope mine comes today. Haven't been home yet.

I heard the class of 2011 at UAB just sat for the boards. Does anyone have a clue how long the turnaround time is for UAB to get the results? I've been wondering for a long time how the new curriculum is going to work out in that regard.

actually I hang around with a bunch of the guys in that class and they are taking them starting this weekend through the end of april.

scores are released like 3-4 weeks after you sit the exam.

on another note... does anyone happen to have any of the EK 1001 books?

so chemnerd are you going to usa or uab?

I'm still on the fence. I'd say my feet are facing USA, though. I'm going down to Mobile this weekend for another look around and I'm touring the Tuscaloosa campus on Tuesday. They're letting me go on rounds with them, take me to lunch, then go shadow at the clinic.

I'm about 80% sure. I'll see how much (if any) money the schools toss my way.

Another shameless plug for those of you needing housing in Birmingham! It's a great house and I would love to rent it to another medical student or resident.

http://www.owners.com/JPP8420

yea, I have the EK 1001 books.

I'd be happy to sell them to you at a discounted price of course.
Let me know if you're interested and which ones u want...

Has anybody else seen their financial aid packages for UAB/South yet? I'm curious if scholarships have been awarded at this point or not.

Has anybody else seen their financial aid packages for UAB/South yet? I'm curious if scholarships have been awarded at this point or not.

I got my financial aid package from south yesterday. They didn't say anything about scholarships so I don't know if that means that I didn't get one or if they just haven't sent them yet. No word from UAB.

I've got a post-rejection feedback interview with Mark Scott next week. What do you guys think I should wear? I'm guessing it'll be pretty casual; I'm think about just wearing dress pants and a dress shirt. Should I wear a coat and/or tie as well?

I've got a post-rejection feedback interview with Mark Scott next week. What do you guys think I should wear? I'm guessing it'll be pretty casual; I'm think about just wearing dress pants and a dress shirt. Should I wear a coat and/or tie as well?

Hey WiseGuy,

Good for you for scheduling the interview so soon! I'm interested to hear what he says. If I were you, I would wear a suit (although I conducted my interview by phone last year). I guess I would just make the best impression I possibly could on him. I think he has a lot of say with the committee. Good Luck!!

Hey WiseGuy,

Good for you for scheduling the interview so soon! I'm interested to hear what he says. If I were you, I would wear a suit (although I conducted my interview by phone last year). I guess I would just make the best impression I possibly could on him. I think he has a lot of say with the committee. Good Luck!!

Me too!! I'm more curious than anything. I felt I was competitive enough for an interview; I guess nothing is guaranteed in this process. Oh well. I think I am going to wear a suit. I would hate to feel as if I was underdressed.

Last year I wore my suit to my post interview. I think it's appropriate to dress up, as you want him to know how seriously you're taking the situation and being dressed up seems more professional. That's just my opinion though.

I cried during my post interview, but he seemed to think that was a positive thing. The best advice I can give is to really let him know how badly you wanted it and how upset you are you didn't get it. I'm not suggesting crying of course, that's just me and I tried really hard not to.

Mark Scott likes sincerity and determination to try again. He told me that many people during their post interview don't even seem upset that they didn't get in and that tells him that the committee made the right choice. Make him feel like the committee made a terrible mistake, and that you will do whatever it takes to improve your application because this is what you really want to do with your life.

So...does anyone have any speculations as to when the UAB class will no longer be "oversubscribed" and the alternate list will start moving? I know things will really start happening after May 15, but maybe some folks will make their decisions before then.

Also, happy Easter to everyone. Inexplicably, I spent mine taunting Mark Cuban in the Pat O's courtyard in New Orleans at 3am.

So...does anyone have any speculations as to when the UAB class will no longer be "oversubscribed" and the alternate list will start moving? I know things will really start happening after May 15, but maybe some folks will make their decisions before then.

It was my understanding that movement won't even begin until May 15. They just wait, make us suffer, and do batch releases of ecstasy and heartache. I'm not sure where I pulled that from in regards to UAB (that was the idea I had in my head this whole time of UAB... perhaps somewhere lost in this thread?), but I know its true of a few other schools as well (SLU and UMiami).

Also, happy Easter to everyone. Inexplicably, I spent mine taunting Mark Cuban in the Pat O's courtyard in New Orleans at 3am.

Damn your mention of Mark Cuban. I googled him and ended up spending the last half-hour reading about him and his financing of Redacted, the Mahmudiyah killings, etc. when I should have been finishing my taxes.

Also, if anyone's looking for housing at South please PM me....I'm potentially seeking roommates.

It was my understanding that movement won't even begin until May 15. They just wait, make us suffer, and do batch releases of ecstasy and heartache. I'm not sure where I pulled that from in regards to UAB (that was the idea I had in my head this whole time of UAB... perhaps somewhere lost in this thread?), but I know its true of a few other schools as well (SLU and UMiami).
Regardless of whether or not it applies to UAB...hilarious.

Damn your mention of Mark Cuban. I googled him and ended up spending the last half-hour reading about him and his financing of Redacted, the Mahmudiyah killings, etc. when I should have been finishing my taxes.
Yeah, it was a weird situation. A server came up to me and asked me if I liked basketball. I told him I didn't really care, but he still pointed me in Cuban's direction. After that, things got blurry.

Hi. New to this forum. Wondering if anyone has any personal experience with the Kaplan classroom class in Tuscaloosa.

Thinking about doing a class this summer. Still an undergrad and this would be my first time taking the MCAT. Will finish organic and physics this semester.

Looking at taking the 9 week class. Plan on also studying on my own. Will not be working or taking any other classes this summer.

Does anyone know anything about good/bad instructors for this location? Would sit in on a current class but I'm in Mobile until early May.

From what I read it is the instructor that makes the classroom worthwhile.

Thoughts? Thanks!

I did it once, and retrospectively, I wouldn't do it again. The classroom stuff isn't all that good unless you just need to hear the stuff out loud. I did all my learning from Examkrackers books and using all the Kaplan online stuff. I think you can buy access to all the online stuff without the class. I'd do that.

I took the classroom courses in a center that's supposed to have good teachers. I thought some of the classes were useful (like Physics b/c ours was taught by a PhD who had done it for 6 yrs and loved teaching and since I suck at Physics it was super helpful). Conversely I pretty much skipped the Orgo (bc the teacher sucked and it was easier, although not at all easy, to teach myself) and Verbal classes (bc you can't teach verbal).

I'd say if you can force yourself to keep to a schedule and study diligently you can do without. For me, the pace of the class helped keep me honest and made sure I studied the material at least once.

Kaplan sucks big time, and was a big waste of time and money for me. The ExamKracker books were much much better. I subscribed to the website where you can get explanations for your questions...very helpful!

Kaplan sucks big time, and was a big waste of time and money for me. The ExamKracker books were much much better. I subscribed to the website where you can get explanations for your questions...very helpful!

I second this. I took the MCAT twice, the first time with Kaplan and felt very unprepared. Second time I only used ExamKrackers and scored 4 points better. The online Kaplan stuff may be useful, but only if you have time after going through the ExamKracker textbooks at least 2-3 times, taking a bunch of their tests and questions from the 1001 question books and mini MCATs, and taking at least 5 or 6 AAMC online practice MCATs. In other words, stick with ExamKrackers. The only caveat is that you have to be disciplined and able to study alone. But then again, if you are going to be in medical school you're going to have to learn to do this eventually anyways.

Exactly one month away from May 15th, all you lucky people with multiple acceptances have you made a final decision?

Just curious if anyone on the alternate list at south has had any luck finding out which tier they’re in

Just curious if anyone on the alternate list at south has had any luck finding out which tier they’re in

I emailed Mark Scott about this, and he told me that while in previous years South has notified alternate list applicants about their specific tier, they have decided to discontinue this practice because they felt that neither applicants nor the admissions office gained any benefit.

i email mark scott too, and i think he just completely ignored the email :(

Hey everybody I'm finishing up my first year at UAB...I came off of the waitlist there mid-May last year. I know this time is hard, with graduation coming near for some people and plans for reapplying are in the works for others. Just be patient, and hope for the best. Try to relax and enjoy these last few months, b/c you won't get them back. I'm available to answer any questions you may have.

Good luck to all of you still waiting! Keep your heads up...

For those that interviewed at USA in previous years, did Mr. Scott say that a waitlist pretty much is an acceptance? The reason I ask is that maybe a waitlist now is better than a waitlist before? Maybe that partially has to do with why they don't they you the tier this year..

Mark Scott said something similar last year when I interviewed, so I don't think we should read too much into the whole no tier thing. However, a couple pages ago someone said they talked to someone I think in the UASOM admission office and said they think there will be a lot of waitlist movement this year. I have no idea how they predict that, but if there is a lot of waitlist movement at UASOM, I'm sure there will be a lot at South as well.

Also, UASOM just announced that they are once again raising tuition for next year. http://www.al.com/news/birminghamnews/metro.ssf?/base/news/1240042620159050.xml&coll=2

In state is still pretty reasonable, but out of state is basically 50k a year, not even counting fees which total around 5k by themselves. Any out of staters having second thoughts because of this? It seems like they have increased tuition by 10% every year now.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the whole UA system is raising tuition due to the State Education Dept. cutting back massively on funding.

Seems like higher out of state tuition would be beneficial to in state kids on the wait list, though.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the whole UA system is raising tuition due to the State Education Dept. cutting back massively on funding.

Seems like higher out of state tuition would be beneficial to in state kids on the wait list, though.

Dang, that tuition is looking steeper and steeper...

Just got in off the waitlist :) Looks like I'm going to UAB!!!! I'm so excited, UAB was/is my top choice.

Its gonna be really hard studying for finals now...