Alabama Schools Thread Part 2!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah, Macs are fine, lots of people use them. I did recently see where a student got chewed out a little for admitting they didn't have computer/net access at home AT ALL, which is a requirement somewhere in the school policies. But no, I can't think of anything I've done all year that a Mac wouldn't have been able to handle. A point to ponder though. You can get a PC notebook for like 400 bucks, and the cheapest mac notebook I see is 1100. By the end of your fall semester first year you're gonna wind up dropping a grand on diagnostic crapola... sooo, if you just need something with a little more processor punch, it might be worthwhile to get a PC and save the difference for scopes, and just keep using your old mac for mac-related stuff (I'm a PC guy, so I don't know what the tangible benefits really are other than not being represented by the geeky guy in those new commercials.) Just a point to ponder!

Why am I posting here when I have a phys test in 9 hours?

Members don't see this ad.

Bleh. When you're ready to move up to a real computer than runs Linux, let me know. :D

Just so all the rest of you know, there's no come back to that. Linux users are uber.

Anyone else having trouble being able to log into their secondary application (or status page)?

Members don't see this ad :)
This has happened before. I wouldn't think anything of it. It'll get fixed.

Why am I posting here when I have a phys test in 9 hours?
:laugh:

Procrastination tastes so much sweeter the closer you get to an exam. I swear it.

Some of the greatest guilty pleasures I have partaken of have been bouts of procrastination in the 12-36 hours leading up to one of our horrible exams. Absolutely priceless, every second.

before the 2nd phys test I watched like 5 hours of Torchwood--in a row--instead of reviewing my pulmonology stuff. So sweet....

-----
See pre-meds, you life doesn't end in med school. It just becomes more strange, more pathetic, and may even resemble your former life, but with 50% less sleep.

Hey class of 2011,

I represent a co-ed medical fraternity at UASOM that is thinking of putting together a social/party to welcome you to the fold. I am just wanting to get a sense from those of you who plan on being at UAB (or who are undecided between USA & UAB) as to whether or not we should do such a thing before summer begins (while you in-staters are still in the central Alabama region), or sometime during the summer. If you'd like to meet some of your classmates & some of the nicer (soon to be) second years, PM me or respond on the forum with feedback about what times might be cool for you.

Actually, we may have several events that you would be welcome to attend during the summer, but I'm not sure how many of them will be parties, and how many of them would be service projects, etc....

Um, yes please?

:laugh:

Procrastination tastes so much sweeter the closer you get to an exam. I swear it.

Some of the greatest guilty pleasures I have partaken of have been bouts of procrastination in the 12-36 hours leading up to one of our horrible exams. Absolutely priceless, every second.

before the 2nd phys test I watched like 5 hours of Torchwood--in a row--instead of reviewing my pulmonology stuff. So sweet....

-----
See pre-meds, you life doesn't end in med school. It just becomes more strange, more pathetic, and may even resemble your former life, but with 50% less sleep.

Ha, yeah, I managed to work through pretty much the entire last season of Everwood before that one (no flames guys, really, it's sad, but for some reason I just really love that show....) I'm not looking forward to this coming W-T-F, but the week after it will be awesome!

As far as the get together goes, I thoroughly enjoyed the bowling and mexican get together we had before classes started, despite my own embarrassing drunken fall (don't try to bowl between your legs guys, the spine doesn't twist that way and 10 pounds is surprisingly enough to knock a drunks leg right out from under him... hypothetically of course). :)

i heard a dirty rumor from someone who interviewed last week that 3/15 was the last ad com meeting. i assume that means they would make the wait list then as well. can anyone back this up or blow it out of the water (i hope)?

i heard a dirty rumor from someone who interviewed last week that 3/15 was the last ad com meeting. i assume that means they would make the wait list then as well. can anyone back this up or blow it out of the water (i hope)?

I can confirm that they said on 3/8 that 3/15 was the last meeting and they would mail out all final decisions then. Be happy, we can start making plans for the next 4 years (hopefully).

If anyone wants to see some mayhem, come to Lecture Room A in Volker at 11AM on Thursday. :D

Will they be passing bottles of booze around in plain view, or do they have to brown bag it? :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I can confirm that they said on 3/8 that 3/15 was the last meeting and they would mail out all final decisions then. Be happy, we can start making plans for the next 4 years (hopefully).

hmm I am actually interviewing tomorrow (3/15) so do you think they will be making the decisions after the last interviews or maybe I am interviewing for a waitlist spot even though they assured me I was not over the phone :rolleyes: ....oh well, just wondering to all those who have already interviewed, about how long is the whole day? it says 2:30pm but at most schools it seems they always let you out earlier than they say in the invite..

hmm I am actually interviewing tomorrow (3/15) so do you think they will be making the decisions after the last interviews or maybe I am interviewing for a waitlist spot even though they assured me I was not over the phone :rolleyes: ....oh well, just wondering to all those who have already interviewed, about how long is the whole day? it says 2:30pm but at most schools it seems they always let you out earlier than they say in the invite..

From what I remember, Dr. Smith said that they had already accepted 190 people for 176 slots on 3/8 (before they might have accepted additional people that day). He said though that usually they will accept 240somethign to fill the 176 slots, so you aren't interviewing for a waitlist spot. He also said that the adcoms meet at noon and that some of us might find out that day, but I don't know if I heard that right b/c it seemed really weird for them to meet immediately after the interviews.

Oh and I think I got done with my tour at like 1:30, it really depends on what your 4th year tour guide thinks is worth going to and if people in your group want to go to specific places and how many questions people ask. Make sure you get a tour of the gym. It's awesome.

I actually felt kind of bad watching it. You're kinda obligated to go up there and announce your match (right after opening the envelope) and act all happy and jovial and whatnot. What happens if you are disappointed with your match? Seems like you ought to get some time to emotionally process things before getting in front of the whole class and everyone's family and all and announce that you matched prelim surgery in BFE or transitional year with no PGY2 arrangement. Just my thoughts on the ceremony. Then again, it was fun to watch some of the folks who were just sooo happy :)

Did anybody hear any news from UAB today or are they just really backed up? I was waiting all day....damn ides of March. :(

My coworker and I have both been waiting, no news yet. Maybe tomorrow? Today was Match Day, they could have been busy with that.

Student Services will have their hands full everyday between Monday Scrambles and the Thursday Match, so don't expect anything on those days.

does this mean we shouldn't expect anything until next week?

2007 UAB Match List (152)
*: denotes MD/PhD graduate.

2004: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=1277555&postcount=13
2005: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=2409659&postcount=17
2006: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=3446065&postcount=2

Anesthesiology (7)
UAB x 3
Arkansas
Kentucky
Missouri
St. Luke's - Roosevelt

Child Neurology (1)
NYP Cornell *

Dermatology (1)
LSU

Emergency Medicine (8)
UAB x 3
Brody
Florida
Kentucky
Orlando Medical Center
South Carolina

Family Practice (14)
UAB Huntsville x 3
UAB Tuscaloosa x 5
UAB Montgomery
Ball - Muncie
Greenville
Kentucky
McLeod - Florence
Mountain Area - Asheville

Internal Medicine (20)
UAB x 7 *
Baylor
Cincinnati
Duke
Michigan
Pitt x 2
Stanford
UT Memphis
U of Washington
VCU x 2
WashU

Medicine/Pediatrics (2)
UAB
Harvard

Neurology (5)
UAB
Penn *
UT Southwestern
Vanderbilt
VCU

Neurosurgery (2)
UAB *
Vermont

OB/GYN (7)
UAB
Beth Israel Deaconess
FSU-Sacred Heart
MUSC
North Hanover - Wilmington
UNC
UT Chattanooga

OMFS (3)
UAB x 3

Ophthalmology (7)
UAB
Emory
Maryland
SLU
UT Southwestern
Vanderbilt x 2

Orthopaedic Surgery (8)
UAB x 2
Atlanta Medical Center
Baylor
Colorado
Greenville
South Alabama
UT Chattanooga

Otolaryngology (3)
UAB
South Florida
Tulane

Pathology (6)
UAB x 2
Brigham & Women's *
UCLA
UPenn *

Pediatrics (17)
UAB x 5
Arkansas x 3
Carolinas
Children's Mercy - KC
Children's National
Eastern Virginia
Emory
Florida - Jacksonville
Indiana
Rhode Island/Brown
Stanford

Pediatrics/Genetics (2)
UAB x 2

PMR (1)
UCI

Psychiatry (2)
UAB
Duke

Radiology (8)
UAB x 2
Baptist - Birmingham
Baptist - Memphis x 2
Indiana
Vanderbilt
WashU

Surgery (11)
UAB x 3
Brigham & Women's
Beth Israel Deaconess x 2
Carraway
Spartanburg
UT Chattanooga
UT Knoxville
West Virginia

Urology (2)
UAB
Georgetown

Preliminary Medicine x 4
Preliminary Surgery x 6
Deferred x 5 *

Hey D&G, when do you start clinical rotations?

Do you know if any of the deferrals were failed to match, or if they were all just going into research?

Ok for all of you current medical students:

If I ride my bike to Volker Hall is there a secure place that I can lock/place (I prefer inside a building) my bike or should I just use the two good ole' feet instead of the bike?

If I ride my bike to Volker Hall is there a secure place that I can lock/place (I prefer inside a building) my bike or should I just use the two good ole' feet instead of the bike?

Eh, is there a place you could lock it inside where it would be safe? Sure. Is there a place that wouldn't annoy me to see a dirty bike chained up every day? That I'm not so sure of :) Where are you going to be staying?

while we're on this, do you guys have suggestions for places to live? I'm about to start shopping around.

Also, yay! for finally getting the accept on the MPH side... maybe now I'll get my letter.

There is a bike rack near the rec center at the corner opposite of Volker Hall. My friend parks her vespa there. I think that there are bike racks on the street-level entrance to Volker (adjacent to the library.) If there aren't, it doesn't matter, since people seem to chain their bikes there anyway.

If you wanted to be "authentic" to Birmingham, you would get a Hummer & drive that to school, even if you lived within walking distance....:laugh:

while we're on this, do you guys have suggestions for places to live? I'm about to start shopping around.

Also, yay! for finally getting the accept on the MPH side... maybe now I'll get my letter.

Every year numerous students at UAB come under the false impression that the apartments in the Lakeshore area are a Good Idea. Don't fall for their (barely) reasonable prices. The area is actually inconvenient, the traffic is terrible, and the area has a high crime rate. The wal-mart there is so skeezy I haven't been back in like 4 years. Also, be reaaaaly careful if you select an apartment in the Greensprings area. Most of that area is sketchy as well.
Unless you enjoy sitting in a lot of traffic, avoid getting an apartment near 280 if it is south of 459.

If you can afford it, now would be the right time to buy a house or condo. There are still a few homes in parts of homewood and in crestwood that are under 200K.

Having a roomate that you like can help offset some of the loneliness and depression that most of our class has suffered from at one point or another. Having a roomate that you hate can drive you to distraction, insanity, and death (or murder).

Did anyone else who's been accepted to UAB get invited to the Dean's Medical Student weekend? I can't go because I can't miss that day of work (boo) but I'm curious to see who else was invited.... I am OOS, interviewed 2/22 and accepted via email about a week later.

Did anyone else who's been accepted to UAB get invited to the Dean's Medical Student weekend? I can't go because I can't miss that day of work (boo) but I'm curious to see who else was invited.... I am OOS, interviewed 2/22 and accepted via email about a week later.

Did this invitation come in an email? When did you receive it? Tell me everything! ;)

Did this invitation come in an email? When did you receive it? Tell me everything! ;)

Let's see... got the invite 3/14 via email... I'm not sure if this is something they do for a subset of applicants (ie OOS, or interested in research - I do know they want more research-oriented med students there) or if it goes out to everyone. The weekend is scheduled for March 30-31 with an RSVP deadline of Monday the 19th. Anyone heard anything about this at all??

Let's see... got the invite 3/14 via email... I'm not sure if this is something they do for a subset of applicants (ie OOS, or interested in research - I do know they want more research-oriented med students there) or if it goes out to everyone. The weekend is scheduled for March 30-31 with an RSVP deadline of Monday the 19th. Anyone heard anything about this at all??

Dang. I'm both OOS and have a research-heavy app. No invite here. Now I feel kinda left out... :( But thanks for the info anyway.

Hey D&G, when do you start clinical rotations?

Do you know if any of the deferrals were failed to match, or if they were all just going into research?

- Not anytime soon.

- I heard that one deferral failed to match in Derm and didn't scramble. The MSTP'er deferral took a faculty position at Vanderbilt.

so I know it is probably staring me right in the face, but I can not find where to fill out the campus selection questionare..I looked everywhere under my account but I can only find a sample campus selection questionare..can anyone point me in the right direction? thanks!

so I know it is probably staring me right in the face, but I can not find where to fill out the campus selection questionare..I looked everywhere under my account but I can only find a sample campus selection questionare..can anyone point me in the right direction? thanks!

Hey Husky,

Ok, go to here:

https://www.uasom.uab.edu/secondaryapplication/index.asp

This should be a familiar page. Go to "check your status." And at the top there your status should say something like "Interviewed, under consideration" or "accepted--no campus assignment."

Below there, in a blue link, should be something that says "fill out campus questionnaire."

Good luck!

Just got the acceptance email and the email about the Dean's Weekend. Best of luck to all!

Edit: I interviewed two weeks ago.

Just got the acceptance email and the email about the Dean's Weekend. Best of luck to all!

Congrats! when was your interview? and are you OOS? just trying to get an idea of who the second look weekend is meant for.

Thanks! I am in-state, but attend school out of state. It's all expenses paid. RSVP must be done by today according to the email.

Hello, I am a student from CA and I check my status page on march 18th to see that I remain unders consideration for an interview. However, I read in this thread that all students that have interviewed march 15th of earlier are the students that are in for sure.

I have 2 questions:
Am I sure to get an interview with that status? Or it can potentially turn into a rejection.
Also, am I correct to assume that I am interviewing to be waitlisted.

Am scared as hell :scared: becoz this is the only positive news that I have received this cycle.....so please respond as soon as you can

Hello, I am a student from CA and I check my status page on march 18th to see that I remain unders consideration for an interview. However, I read in this thread that all students that have interviewed march 15th of earlier are the students that are in for sure.

I have 2 questions:
Am I sure to get an interview with that status? Or it can potentially turn into a rejection.
Also, am I correct to assume that I am interviewing to be waitlisted.

Am scared as hell :scared: becoz this is the only positive news that I have received this cycle.....so please respond as soon as you can

So if I am reading this correctly, you have not yet interviewed with UAB? unfortunately, March 15th was the last day for interviews so if you have not been interviewed by this point, then I think that means a rejection. However, people who interviewed prior to march 15th are by no means assured acceptance but UAB is officially done interviewing for the 2007 entering class.

I had a late interview at UAB and have not heard anything about my status, but I have "Pay your Deposit Online" on my secondary app page. Does anyone else have this? Let me know.

Everyone who applied to UAB and has an online status page has that link to pay your deposit online even before acceptance. Sorry to break that news to you... but gluck! Hang in there!

i had a late interview also, haven't heard anything, don't have a pay your deposit link. bah.

I think the higher ups, like the dean and all, know that information, but as of about 3 weeks ago I spoke to one of the anatomy professors and he said that none of them knew what was going to happen. So, if the anatomy instructors don't know yet, who knows what's going on? :) I hope they do though, it's a very valuable experience.

I asked some of the professors I know and they said the cadavers are staying but they will be using computers and other devices to aid in education.

Has anyone that interviewed in the last week heard anything back yet? I thought they said we should know "as early as monday". Monday came and went and no news...:confused: