All About Our Pets(Pics, Advice, Etc)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ugh the horse fever is strong lately. I wish I knew someone that needed an occasional riding buddy or I could half-lease from down here.
I know what you mean! My horse lives back home with my parents and I'm away at school

Members don't see this ad.

I don't need a riding buddy but need a rider for my pony
I am nowhere near Maryland, unfortunately (that's where that gorgeous palomino drafty beast is right?) Ship him to the south and he can have his very own personal veterinarian! I don't treat horses regularly, but I'm sure we could manage. :nod:

I know what you mean! My horse lives back home with my parents and I'm away at school
We sold my gelding shortly after I got into vet school. It was a good decision for him, but it's been right at 6 years since I had the opportunity to ride much aside from once a year or so when I go back home and visit family. Now that I'm in residency I see my friends finally having time for stuff like that and would really like to make it work. But I don't have the kind of expendable income that a horse requires as a resident, so horse ownership will have to wait another couple years (two and and six months, but who's counting). I have a couple hundred a month I could possibly devote to it, and am considering lessons to tide me over after I build my savings just a little more in case the dog has a medical emergency.

Reactions: 1 users
I am nowhere near Maryland, unfortunately (that's where that gorgeous palomino drafty beast is right?) Ship him to the south and he can have his very own personal veterinarian! I don't treat horses regularly, but I'm sure we could manage. :nod:

Excccuuuuuuse me. She is an American CREAM () draft horse with the cream color coming from the champagne gene producing pink skin and amber eyes. http://www.acdha.org she's not homozygous so she doesn't have the pink skin like the first photo but does have the amber eyes seen in the second. And there's my history lesson for all y'all
ImageUploadedBySDN1487728139.938926.jpg

ImageUploadedBySDN1487728194.820365.jpg

I'll pass on the misgendering bc that's an easy mistake but not the color. She might be coming to Georgia with me depending on their grad school and how much @SummerTheLynx manages to bribe me. /Rant

But for real this breed is why I got into genetics in the first place and they're near and dear to my heart

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Excccuuuuuuse me. She is an American CREAM () draft horse with the cream color coming from the champagne gene producing pink skin and amber eyes. http://www.acdha.org she's not homozygous so she doesn't have the pink skin like the first photo but does have the amber eyes seen in the second. And there's my history lesson for all y'all
View attachment 215161
View attachment 215162

I'll pass on the misgendering bc that's an easy mistake but not the color. She might be coming to Georgia with me depending on their grad school and how much @SummerTheLynx manages to bribe me. /Rant

But for real this breed is why I got into genetics in the first place and they're near and dear to my heart
Yours is much prettier than other Creams I've worked with

Reactions: 1 user
I'll pass on the misgendering bc that's an easy mistake but not the color. She might be coming to Georgia with me depending on their grad school and how much SummerTheLynx manages to bribe me. /Rant
My mistake. Here I was proud of myself for remembering which one was yours having seen like one photo. SHE is a gorgeous AMERICAN CREAM. Got it...I'm from the west, so if it isn't a quarter horse or paint I'm not really good at horse breeds. Off to google more.

Yours is much prettier than other Creams I've worked with

Another cream person?!? It's such a small community. You're from the area so you probably know both of the farms that are here

My mistake. Here I was proud of myself for remembering which one was yours having seen like one photo. SHE is a gorgeous AMERICAN CREAM. Got it...I'm from the west, so if it isn't a quarter horse or paint I'm not really good at horse breeds. Off to google more.

Haha it's fine. I might be a little too passionate about the breed esp since it's so small in numbers. Everyone wants me to breed her to help with the breed but $$$

View attachment 215161
View attachment 215162

How good of a bribe is great cooking? :)

And yeah. I'm not a big fan of pink skinned horses so most of them are meh but the lack of pink skin makes yours perfect! Haha

So you're a fan of the medium and dark creams then? She turns white when you clip her though. (Tb to 2011ish)
ImageUploadedBySDN1487729278.489648.jpg

Last edited:
Went hiking with this crazy creature today.

As we are leaving, buses full of kids are loading up in the parking lot. Two girls said "What a cute Corgi" as they were walking by. I thanked them, and said "But she's not a corgi."
A third girl laughed. "Of course that's a corgi. You don't even know your own dog's breed?"
Ummmm, actually I do. But thanks, kid.

Attachments

• 16864509_10102493728559881_5088833926572312406_n.jpg
    16864509_10102493728559881_5088833926572312406_n.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 82
Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)

As we are leaving, buses full of kids are loading up in the parking lot. Two girls said "What a cute Corgi" as they were walking by. I thanked them, and said "But she's not a corgi."
A third girl laughed. "Of course that's a corgi. You don't even know your own dog's breed?"
Icelandic!

Who tf would call that a corgi? I can't tell breeds, but I can definitely say that's NOT a corgi.

Who tf would call that a corgi? I can't tell breeds, but I can definitely say that's NOT a corgi.

We usually get Sheltie or -cringe- Pomeranian. Corgi was new. She's also been called a fox hybrid. And yes, that person was serious.

They are an ancestry breed of both the sheltie and the corgi so I probably shouldn't care too much but they're so different now!

Yes, I will take your dog too.

We usually get Sheltie or -cringe- Pomeranian. Corgi was new. She's also been called a fox hybrid. And yes, that person was serious.

They are an ancestry breed of both the sheltie and the corgi so I probably shouldn't care too much but they're so different now!
16665357_10154130696006604_6469284192744569120_o.jpg

Hey! I have a "fox hybrid" too! Some people, man.

Reactions: 7 users
Please join me in congratulating this beautiful Mommy Cat who gave birth to six new kittens 2 nights ago.

Two of the kittens are twins with separate umbilical cords with one placenta (i.e., monochorionic twins).

Look at the expression on that new Mom's face. :)

MommyCat6.jpg

Reactions: 15 users
Please join me in congratulating this beautiful Mommy Cat who gave birth to six new kittens 2 nights ago.

Two of the kittens are twins with separate umbilical cords with one placenta (i.e., monochorionic twins).

View attachment 215287

Awwwww. Congrats momma kitty!

(TBH, her face to me looks like "Oh god, what have I done?!" hahaha)

Reactions: 9 users

View attachment 215287
Congrats momma kitty!!!:biglove::biglove::biglove:

But SAR I totally agree with you hahhaa

I want a kitten so much. I know of a litter of polydactyl kittens that'll need homes soon, but I must resist. Even if they are tuxedo kitties and they are basically perfect in every way.

Reactions: 5 users
I want a kitten so much. I know of a litter of polydactyl kittens that'll need homes soon, but I must resist. Even if they are tuxedo kitties and they are basically perfect in every way.
Dibs on one

My fiance's brother and his girlfriend just moved in and brought their 2 cats and dog. Their dog gets along great with my dog, which is nice because they tire each other out. The problem is the cats. It took well over a year for my cat and my fiance's cats to tolerate each other and mostly not hiss at each other when in close proximity. Now that the brother's cats are here, we've had to separate the house by levels (brother, gf, and their cats have the basement, which is where fiance's cats used to have their litter boxes). Now fiance's cats have started picking fights with my cat again. Last night one of them scratched up her nose. It just breaks my heart because I feel like I've betrayed her, because the two will gang up on her. She was found as an orphaned solo kitten and hand raised by a foster who only had dogs in the house. She doesn't really know how to be a cat and it took so long to get them all to a happy place. It's just frustrating that this is happening again and I don't know how to fix it other than separating them and reintroducing them again.

Ugh this possibly should have gone in the rant thread. In payment for listening to me rant, here is a picture of my dog cuddling with one of my fiance's cats:
XvC1PnTg.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
Both does are in active labor! Moonshine has passed some membranes. EZ is just at the mucus and contractions stage.

Both does had 3: 2 girls and a boy each. The new mama did great and took care of her kids. The mom who has done this before, but never raised a kid, still doesn't want to raise a kid. So they are in our bed. I'm not a sucker. Much.
20170301_000036.jpg

Reactions: 14 users
Oh, pictures for those of you who can't see FB:
20170301_195522.jpg
We have to bottle feed these 3.

FB_IMG_1488345888110.jpg

My first freshener, EZ Button, is living up to her name and taking care of her triplets all by herself! (One of them is a bit tiny so we need to keep an eye on her in the cold, but otherwise, all is well!)

Got home, couldn't find my turtle as he had escaped his tub for the first time. I started panicking, wondering if he tumbled down the stairs and that he could be anywhere in the house.

I found him fast asleep tucked into one of my snow boots that was laying on the ground. At least his butt was hanging out, because I don't know that I would have found him that quickly if it weren't.

Reactions: 8 users
Got home, couldn't find my turtle as he had escaped his tub for the first time. I started panicking, wondering if he tumbled down the stairs and that he could be anywhere in the house.

I found him fast asleep tucked into one of my snow boots that was laying on the ground. At least his butt was hanging out, because I don't know that I would have found him that quickly if it weren't.
Aww but that sounds so precious

Aww but that sounds so precious
It was so cute, I wish I took a picture! I was too relieved to find him so I just grabbed him and put him in his tub lol. I can't even be mad, when I picked him up he was like "Oh hey, you're home!"

I didn't know turtles had their own tubs. So, I looked up "turtle tub" on Google, and there it was: a cute little turtle tub. I'll bet your turtle is adorable!

So now, I smile whenever I think of turtles (and their little tubs); and Betta fish (and their little leaf hammocks)! Very cute! :)

Reactions: 2 users
I didn't know turtles had their own tubs. So, I looked up "turtle tub" on Google, and there it was: a cute little turtle tub. I'll bet your turtle is adorable!

So now, I smile whenever I think of turtles (and their little tubs); and Betta fish (and their little leaf hammocks)! Very cute! :)
Yes, it's an easy way to house them! The one I have now is on loan...I think I may upgrade him over the summer and get him a really nice setup with more space.

Wah. It seems like my male gpig is starting to get another swelling in front of his other eye. He's still in good spirits with a normal appetite and poops. He also has airflow through both nostrils so it doesn't seem to be obstructive. May do a trial course of abxs for him cause I really can't afford a CT for him (plus he's 6 and if it's something bad, likely won't put him through anything crazy) and may take a look again at his teeth next week/or consider a bx with our exotics vet to make sure nothing has changed. No ocular/nasal discharge still.