Allowed to work as hygienists during school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

unlvdmd

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I keep hearing this is possible, so I figure I would post here to find out if anyone knows for sure. I have been told that it is possible to work as a hygenist in private practice as a dental student. Is this really possible? I don't really see how, but I have heard that it goes on. But ya know what they say about "my friend does this... and my friend does that...."

Anyone heard similar situations? Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

unlvdmd said:
I keep hearing this is possible, so I figure I would post here to find out if anyone knows for sure. I have been told that it is possible to work as a hygenist in private practice as a dental student. Is this really possible? I don't really see how, but I have heard that it goes on. But ya know what they say about "my friend does this... and my friend does that...."

Anyone heard similar situations? Thoughts?

although we can't in new york, in pennsylvania you can. in my opinion 2nd yrs are more than qualified to work as hygienists - what's so difficult to understand about that.

You can in Cali, but you must first pass the hygiene boards after your second year.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can also sit for the exams after your second year in Massachusetts. It's a great opportunity to earn some money and get some clinical experience while you're in school! Too bad they don't do it in New York state....I'm starting at Buffalo in just over a week.

WOOO I'M STARTING AT BUFFALO IN JUST OVER A WEEK!!!!!

So enjoy the hygiene opportunity while you can!!

Interesting... Anyone know about Nevada?

S Files said:
although we can't in new york, in pennsylvania you can. in my opinion 2nd yrs are more than qualified to work as hygienists - what's so difficult to understand about that.

Since Buffalo is sort of commuting distance from PA, can I get licensed there and work over the summers?? Is that legal and all that?

Hygiene is a licensed profession just like dentistry. You can't work as a hygienist unless you have a license, regardless of whether you're in dental school or not. It's kinda like suggesting a med student should be allowed to moonlight as a nurse or tech.

aphistis said:
Hygiene is a licensed profession just like dentistry. You can't work as a hygienist unless you have a license, regardless of whether you're in dental school or not. It's kinda like suggesting a med student should be allowed to moonlight as a nurse or tech.

Right, I'm asking if I earned my hygiene license in PA, would I be able to commute from New York and work in PA?

I'mFillingFine said:
Right, I'm asking if I earned my hygiene license in PA, would I be able to commute from New York and work in PA?

Have you looked up the commute from Buffalo to PA? I think the answer to that would be no, unless you are crazy committed to making money as a hygienist over the summer. Whatever you do make will probably be lost in gas for your car.

Here's some advice - get yourself involved in a research project at the dental school over the summer instead. It's way more laid-back, no horrible commute, and the pay is pretty decent compared to the hours you put in (at least it was when I was a student there). The catch was that you had to submit your research proposal in like December to get approved for a project starting in June. With all the finals of first semester looming, people don't want to think about doing a research proposal on top of trying to pass Gross Anatomy.

I'mFillingFine said:
i called the PA dental board today....the lady on the phone said she has never heard of this type of hygiene license for dental students :mad:

muberrymolar said:
i called the PA dental board today....the lady on the phone said she has never heard of this type of hygiene license for dental students :mad:

S Files? You sure about PA being a state that allows it?

Also Griffin04, the commute is only around an hour from my house....but yeah, that's a bit too annoying for me. Besides, I'll have the rest of my life to practice! I just figure the income is pretty good and it'll get me ready for clinic. Not really something I'm seriously considering, but I'll keep it in mind.

I'mFillingFine said:
I just figure the income is pretty good and it'll get me ready for clinic. Not really something I'm seriously considering, but I'll keep it in mind.

No offense to the hygienists out there, but scraping crap off teeth for a few hours on the weekend will not "get you ready for clinic." :D The only reason to do hygiene is if you need the cash.

I'mFillingFine said:
S Files? You sure about PA being a state that allows it?

Also Griffin04, the commute is only around an hour from my house....but yeah, that's a bit too annoying for me. Besides, I'll have the rest of my life to practice! I just figure the income is pretty good and it'll get me ready for clinic. Not really something I'm seriously considering, but I'll keep it in mind.

Stand corrected. although i personally know a dentist who did this (mine) - it was several years ago before hygiene was designated a licensed profession, etc. According to the link now you need to grad from hygiene school and pass nerbs:
http://www.dos.state.pa.us/bpoa/cwp/view.asp?a=1104&q=432680

In California, even if you want to sit for the hygeine licensing exam, you have to get approval from your dean, and from what I hear there isn't a single dean in the 5 CA schools who would be willing to have one of their DDS students take the exam without some major reason. They feel the academic load is enough that if we took on a job, our studying/organization/attendance would definitely suffer.

You can take the hygiene licensure exam, which if you pass you can work as a hygienist and make some money on the side. Typically the exam is given in dental schools, and I think you do have to have dean's or assitant dean's signature on something acknowledging that you are a dental student taking the exam.

Weigh taking the exam however, I mean after you find patients, pay for the exam (which is as pricey as national board licensure exams) how many weeks or months will it take to pay that fee off? Plus, the patients you find for the exam are ones that you may need on your licensure exam for dental school eg. NERB, WREB, etc. Is it worth the initial money investment, and losing patients for your dental licensure exam?

You can take the hygiene licensure exam, which if you pass you can work as a hygienist and make some money on the side. Typically the exam is given in dental schools, and I think you do have to have dean's or assitant dean's signature on something acknowledging that you are a dental student taking the exam.

Weigh taking the exam however, I mean after you find patients, pay for the exam (which is as pricey as national board licensure exams) how many weeks or months will it take to pay that fee off? Plus, the patients you find for the exam are ones that you may need on your licensure exam for dental school eg. NERB, WREB, etc. Is it worth the initial money investment, and losing patients for your dental licensure exam?

I think any experience would likely be useful, especially since I'd have a place to work in Mass if I got permission to take the exam (which I probably wouldn't since I'm at Buffalo.) Your'e right about the expense, not to mention that I'll be studying for boards the summer after year 2. it just seems like a great way to dive right into the profession...