Am I doing the right thing ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Amelia Frenc

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello.
I am a junior biomedical sciences and I'm considering withdrawing this semester.
Growing up, I've always dealt with anxiety and have managed to push through it most of my collegiate career but it has still affect my ability to do well in school. However this semester my mental health became worse and it became harder to do several things such as getting myself out of bed, studying etc and I finally managed to got myself to begin therapy about a week ago and I was diagnosed with anxiety/depression.
Unfortunately my grades have already taken a hit due me not studying as much as I did. I'm currently taking Ochem (2nd time taking), Genetics, Stats and Pathophysiology and within most of these classes I have a C/D average and with finals coming soon, even if I make all perfect grades I would be making low B's and high C's which would significantly decrease my gpa 3.45 that I've been trying to build up
I began considering withdrawal which would drop me from all my classes but I'm scared about how it will affect me.
Has anyone gone though this before or does anyone have some advice on what I should do ?
Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Withdrawing and taking time off for your own well-being is the smarter move.

Reactions: 5 users
Withdraw. Vaguely state you were ill and had to withdraw when it comes time to apply.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anxiety and depression are poorly managed on anonymous message boards. Seek out your school's counseling center, or see your family doctor. I am NOT giving medical advice!

If needed, take an LOA and go heal

Reactions: 2 users
This is exactly what the withdrawal process if for. Take some time off and address your problems. Med school will still be there when you do, it’s more important that you take care of you

Reactions: 2 users
You have a chronic condition that is affecting your daily life. Withdraw from all courses, get the clinical services you need and go back to school when your health improves. Medical schools will not have access to your medical records and you can explain a withdrawal and leave of absence in nothing more than what appears in the first two sentences of this paragraph.

Reactions: 4 users
You should definitely consider withdrawing as others have said. Take the time to get your mental health together and then get right back on track when you are ready. I had debilitating anxiety in undergrad, with horrible panic attacks that landed me in the emergency room and eventually hurt my GPA. I didn’t withdraw and I wish I would have, but I did get help for my anxiety. I’m now in my first semester of medical school and doing really well. I haven’t had a panic attack in 5 years and manage my now-mild anxiety with healthy coping mechanisms I learned over the years. I know many people in my class struggle with anxiety, it won’t stop you from becoming a doctor if you take care of it and yourself now. Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 users