This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Trizzle76

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am somewhat in a mid-college crisis and I would like to hear some of your responses with regard to the position that I am currently in.

I began my college career as a Pre-PT major. I was doing exceptionally well (3.85 & 4.0 my first two semesters) and started to think maybe I can do more than PT. Eventually, I changed my major to (B.S) Biology - Pre-Med during my fourth semester.

Currently, I have a 3.73 GPA, I am in my 6th semester of undergrad (A- in ochem 1, currently in ochem 2) and I am almost done all of my prerequisites for medical school.

Some problems I am currently facing:

-Because I changed my major so late I am about two years from earning my degree. (will need 5 years total)

- As of now, I have not even started studying for MCATS

- I earned an underage possession of alcohol while I was 8 months from turning 21 :(

Some EC's I have going for me:

-I have been a site manager every summer for a contracting company for about 7 years now

-I have shadowed a medical director of an E.R for approximately 30 hours, but he is open to letting me shadow him whenever I am home for summer/winter break. I also assume he would write me an LOR if asked.

-My uncle is an allergist and will write me a stellar LOR, he will also let me shadow him whenever I have time.

-I have held 3 executive positions for my fraternity, two simultaneously (Treasurer & Risk management)

-I have many hours of community service

The reason I am in a crisis right now is because I feel like my chances of getting into an MD program (specifically Rutgers Medical School of NJ) are slim to none. Should I feel this way? Should I begin looking into other grad programs?

Just looking for some well needed advice
-OP

Members don't see this ad.

You look normal/good at this point (it's "MCAT").
Don't get a letter from your uncle! Shadowing is fine, though...

Thank you very much for the reply doctor.

Is there a specific reason why I shouldn't get a LOR from my uncle?

(He is not my blood uncle, he is married in through my aunt so we have different last names, thus adcom will not know we are related)

Thank you very much for the reply doctor.

Is there a specific reason why I shouldn't get a LOR from my uncle?

(He is not my blood uncle, he is married in through my aunt so we have different last names, thus adcom will not know we are related)
Letters of evaluation from relatives (even by marriage) are the opposite of unbiased.
It never reflects well upon the applicant and if he doesn't acknowledge the association, it doesn't reflect well on him. Integrity is the most important of the core competencies.

Reactions: 1 user