Am I on the right track?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

physiogirl2019

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there! I'm currently a sophomore physio major and I wanted to know whether or not what I have accomplished so far has me on the right track for med school and any advice on what I should do in the upcoming years leading up to applications.

Currently, I am in the honors college and have a 3.9 GPA. After this semester, the worst case scenario I will have a 3.85 GPA. I have hundreds of hours shadowing in the emergency department at two separate hospitals, I am the secretary of a large club on campus, member of premedical fraternity, have research right now through my university (research lined up this summer with my dream med school) and I am starting to work on volunteer hours through the fraternity.

Is there anything else I should work on or try doing? I think my biggest concern is not standing out when the time comes to apply. Also, I plan on taking the MCAT next spring, so any advice on when I should start studying and how I should tackle it?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You're on the right track. Focus most on GPA and MCAT as those are the biggest factors, but also do volunteering and shadowing as time permits. If you can find a cohesive story to your premed experience or passion for wanting to be a doctor that can make your personal statement stand out but you're a little ways out from that.

Your gpa is solid, it doesn't hurt to start reviewing for the MCAT soon and make a dedicated study time for it. If you can don't take classes or work during that study time.