Am I smart enough to be a med student?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheBateman

Pre-Med Killer
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sophomore here having several doubts if med school is right for me. I am aware of the vast amounts of work that is assigned in the first two years of med school and I was just wondering if I was capable of handling it. Until now, I have been getting very good grades but I put A LOT of time into my classes. I see some kids go out a few days before a test when I am usually found in the library or an empty classroom doing nothing but studying for that test. It also doesn't help that I am a really slow reader. Maybe I'm still learning time management but what if I'm not smart enough for med school? I don't want to find that out later on but I can't help but worry. Do I have some kind of learning disability? Why does it take me 2 or 3 times as long as some other people to learn things? I get As but I put in a ridiculous amount of work to do so.

I'd appreciate anyone's advice/thoughts regarding my situation. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Personal little story of mine (maybe it will motivate; maybe not):

I got tested last year for ADD because I, too, take FOREVER to read a single chapter in a book. Sometimes, going ALONE to the library for 4-5 hours will result in me reading/understanding maybe 15 pages of a book. I am the slowest reader on earth. I had HUGE doubts freshman year. But, I am happy to report, I got a job that gives me some down time between work. Therefore, every half hour or so at work I get about 15 minutes of free time. I found that frequent breaks helps so I can have a fresh 15 minutes of reading (though slow). That way, on an 8-hour shift at work, i really can read/understand an entire chapter SLOWLY but surely haha.

Believe me it is probably not that you are not "smart enough". My roommate can read a 200 page book in 2 days. That same book'd probably take me a week (if I am diligent). But, I can apply all of the stuff I read very well while my roommate cannot relate what he reads to real-life applications.

In my opinion, you sound alot like me. But i don't see it as a disadvantage so much. I view it as showing my heart/passion through it. I am at the library longer than any of my peers and I am getting the same grades. At the end of the day, an A is an A (even if your friend goes out and has some fun while you sit in the library).

Sophomore here having several doubts if med school is right for me. I am aware of the vast amounts of work that is assigned in the first two years of med school and I was just wondering if I was capable of handling it. Until now, I have been getting very good grades but I put A LOT of time into my classes. I see some kids go out a few days before a test when I am usually found in the library or an empty classroom doing nothing but studying for that test. It also doesn't help that I am a really slow reader. Maybe I'm still learning time management but what if I'm not smart enough for med school? I don't want to find that out later on but I can't help but worry. Do I have some kind of learning disability? Why does it take me 2 or 3 times as long as some other people to learn things? I get As but I put in a ridiculous amount of work to do so.

Hard work will get you a lot further in medicine than 'intelligence,' which I'm sure you have anyway. You'll be fine. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
jr_doctor_in_sd,

This problem seemed rather alarming to me the other day when I had an hour break between classes and decided to read a book for another subject. In 50 minutes, I got through 4 pages...I'm also in the same boat as you. I'm usually the last guy in the library and I'm probably there longer than the regular librarian which is really sad.

Do you recommend I make an appointment with the health services on campus?

I guess I should have gone into more detail. I was told I had some ADD they thought from random tests. However, these tests seemed EXTREMELY subjective. And the amount of side effects that came along with the prescribed medications were sooo not worth it. I felt way more stressed often, would easily sweat (gross haha), and felt hot alot. So after two weeks on some ADD pills, I decided the only way to do well and pursue medicine without being dependent on a pill that comes with tons of effects, I had to sit my a** in the library more hours than others. In my honest opinion, if like you said your grades are going well and you DO have to spend tons of time in the library, just keep doing what you're doing. It sucks seeing others celebrate or study not long at all, but in the end it makes you stronger i think. A good doctor (IMO) is that 1 who will work on a case and leave the office last - not the one who tries to rush through his work and "get it over with" :thumbup:

jr_doctor_in_sd,

This problem seemed rather alarming to me the other day when I had an hour break between classes and decided to read a book for another subject. In 50 minutes, I got through 4 pages...I'm also in the same boat as you. I'm usually the last guy in the library and I'm probably there longer than the regular librarian which is really sad.

Do you recommend I make an appointment with the health services on campus?

Nobody's smart enough to be a med student...you just have to be smart enough to be a doctor. lol...if that makes sense

If you are making good grades in difficult classes it's because of two factors (or at least a balance of these two things)

1) you are intelligent/smart/able to learn
2) you have some sort of work ethic

Sounds like you could less apt for 1 (doubt it) but you have alot of 2, and what do you know, 2 is REALLY what you need more to become a good doctor.

Work hard and plan well.

Maybe a med student can say something inspirational?

Hard work will get you a lot further in medicine than 'intelligence,' which I'm sure you have anyway. You'll be fine. :thumbup:

Perfectly stated.

As an MS1, I can say none of the information is hard or complex. Work ethic is absolutely the most important thing. Good luck!

Personal little story of mine (maybe it will motivate; maybe not):

I got tested last year for ADD because I, too, take FOREVER to read a single chapter in a book. Sometimes, going ALONE to the library for 4-5 hours will result in me reading/understanding maybe 15 pages of a book. I am the slowest reader on earth. I had HUGE doubts freshman year. But, I am happy to report, I got a job that gives me some down time between work. Therefore, every half hour or so at work I get about 15 minutes of free time. I found that frequent breaks helps so I can have a fresh 15 minutes of reading (though slow). That way, on an 8-hour shift at work, i really can read/understand an entire chapter SLOWLY but surely haha.

Believe me it is probably not that you are not "smart enough". My roommate can read a 200 page book in 2 days. That same book'd probably take me a week (if I am diligent). But, I can apply all of the stuff I read very well while my roommate cannot relate what he reads to real-life applications.

In my opinion, you sound alot like me. But i don't see it as a disadvantage so much. I view it as showing my heart/passion through it. I am at the library longer than any of my peers and I am getting the same grades. At the end of the day, an A is an A (even if your friend goes out and has some fun while you sit in the library).

I'm the same way, I read pretty slowly compared to a lot of people but I retain what I read rather than letting it just be a quick thought then disappear. If only I could bring my reading speed up a little without losing my retention.

Perfectly stated.

As an MS1, I can say none of the information is hard or complex. Work ethic is absolutely the most important thing. Good luck!

true,

but you can't say having a photographic memory and the ability to read the material once and have it all down doesn't help.

true,

but you can't say having a photographic memory and the ability to read the material once and have it all down doesn't help.

Does photographic memory even exist? A girl came into class boasting about it and I wanted to slap her.

sophomore here having several doubts if med school is right for me. I am aware of the vast amounts of work that is assigned in the first two years of med school and i was just wondering if i was capable of handling it. Until now, i have been getting very good grades but i put a lot of time into my classes. I see some kids go out a few days before a test when i am usually found in the library or an empty classroom doing nothing but studying for that test. It also doesn't help that i am a really slow reader. Maybe i'm still learning time management but what if i'm not smart enough for med school? I don't want to find that out later on but i can't help but worry. Do i have some kind of learning disability? Why does it take me 2 or 3 times as long as some other people to learn things? I get as but i put in a ridiculous amount of work to do so.

epic fail

and the answer is no

did no one else (other than nibiru maybe) get the feeling this was a troll posting (the OP)?
i hope im wrong, but..

you're vice president at the prestigious firm Pierce & Pierce which is a great EC. how's the fisher account going btw?

you're vice president at the prestigious firm Pierce & Pierce which is a great EC. how's the fisher account going btw?

Its going all right. How about dinner at Dorsia's friday night? Great sea urchin seviche

Don't just stare at it...eat it.

Anyway, how am I troll posting? Is it my low post count? Believe me I've been around pretty long I just never found a reason to post anything or make an account until fairly recently. I asked a question about a legitimate concern. Looks like some pre-meds are just neurotic naturally. The funny thing is the person who thought I was a troll got banned for trolling...

Last edited: