Am I too late??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

10yearmedic

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been lurking for a while, and the number of acceptances that I see everyone getting is making me nervous. I was concerned that my MCAT scores were not going to be competitive (the scores I was receiving during Kaplan weren't that great), so I was having trouble getting motivated to fill out my primary and write my personal statement.

Fortunately, I ended up with a 30 on the MCAT, have a 3.57 GPA, great LOR's and lots of EC's. My concern is that my primary is still not verified by AMCAS, and some of the schools I am applying to have Dec 1 deadlines for secondaries. Do I send the secondaries to the schools, even though they have not recieved my primary yet?

Am I totally screwed since I am entering the game so late, or am I stressing out needlessly?

Members don't see this ad.

10yearmedic said:
I have been lurking for a while, and the number of acceptances that everyone is getting are making my nervous. I was concerned that my MCAT scores were not going to be competitive (the scores I was receiving during Kaplan weren't that great), so I was having trouble getting motivated to fill out my primary and write my personal statement.

Fortunately, I ended up with a 30 on the MCAT, have a 3.57 GPA, great LOR's and lots of EC's. My concern is that my primary is still not verified by AMCAS, and some of the schools I am applying to have Dec 1 deadlines for secondaries. Do I send the secondaries to the schools, even though they have not recieved my primary yet?

Am I totally screwed since I am entering the game so late, or am I stressing out needlessly?

Unfortunately, schools don't send secondaries to you until they've been notified by AMCAS that you're interested in their school, and this only happens after you are verified. If you know what schools you're going to apply to, maybe you could find out what essays they want before hand, and you can start writing them now.

It is pretty late and your stats are average matriculant stats (meaning theyre not stellar but not bad either). I would say apply to a few schools and see what happens but dont be discouraged if you dont get in this time around. As for secondaries, see what the poster above me said. Good luck and congrats on the MCATs!

10yearmedic said:
I have been lurking for a while, and the number of acceptances that I see everyone getting is making me nervous. I was concerned that my MCAT scores were not going to be competitive (the scores I was receiving during Kaplan weren't that great), so I was having trouble getting motivated to fill out my primary and write my personal statement.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't the majority of schools send secondaries to everyone that applies?

So should I try and download the secondaries, fill them out and wait until the schools get my primary and request the secondary, or submit the secondary before the school requests it because they are going to anyway?

wait until they request your secondary, but have your letters of rec sitting in envelopes waiting to be thrown into the mailbox

I say start writing the 2º essay questions now. Filling them out takes no time.... and a lot of them are online.... that's just me. oh, and have the LORs ready. That's just good advice.

While it is late, I wouldn't say it is too late.... I may be more of an exception to the rule, but I submitted my AMCAs Oct 15th last year and every single secondary on the deadline (this includes Jan 1st for some of them like Georgetown and GW)... I applied to 14 schools, got 7 interviews, 6 of which I went on and got into 2 schools and 4 waitlists, 1 waitlist of which I got off in May and the other 3 i withdrew from... My first interview wasn't until January... It also helps if you apply to non rolling schools so that you're not at a disadvantage... I'm currently at my first choice as well which is non rolling.. (Penn). So good luck to you!!

Oh mdapps, if it helps... http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?id=2976

:luck:

Thanks javert, that's encouraging. I wish I knew three months ago the information I am finding out now about this whole process.

Although you might be late, I would say that you finish the secondaries for rolling schools first than work on non rolling schools. I really hope that you're applying to a lot of non rolling schools and your state schools because you will probably have the best shot at those schools.
best of luck
stansbury

It's getting pretty darn late. If you can wait a year, I would. You'll have so many more choices of schools to go to. :)