AMA: I was accepted to schools w/ low gpa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kennyclimbs

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'll be going to pharmacy school this coming fall with what I think is a low gpa. If you have questions about the application process, interviews, or anythin else, ask away!

Basic info:
2.9 GPA
67 PCAT
B.S. Chemistry

Members don't see this ad.

Uhm...not sure if you know this...but everyone with a low gpa get into pharmacy school...in fact people with lower have gotten in...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Uhm...not sure if you know this...but everyone with a low gpa get into pharmacy school...in fact people with lower have gotten in...

Thanks for your input. I'm sure there are people with a lower gpa out there who are getting in. Let me know if you have a question

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your input. I'm sure there are people with a lower gpa out there who are getting in. Let me know if you have a question

How were your interviews? How many did you receive? Which school are you going to attend? Was your gpa ever questioned during the interviews? Did you have research/publications that balanced out that low gpa? Did you apply in early summer or towards late winter?

How were your interviews? How many did you receive? Which school are you going to attend? Was your gpa ever questioned during the interviews? Did you have research/publications that balanced out that low gpa? Did you apply in early summer or towards late winter?
How were your interviews? It was stressful going into my interviews, but once the interviews started it wasn't stressful anymore. They felt more like conversations. Most schools know how nervous candidates are going to be and try to make them feel more relaxed.

How many did you receive? I had 9 interview offers, but attended 5. Accepted at those 5.

Which school are you going to attend? University of Colorado

Was your gpa ever questioned during the interviews? No, schools I interviewed at had closed-file or semi-open interviews (interviewers didn't know my gpa).

Did you have research/publications that balanced out that low gpa? Yes, I had a lot of research that was "extra" from what was required. No pubs.

Did you apply in early summer or towards late winter? Late winter

Did you have any pharmacy experience in addition to research?

Which schools accepted or declined your application?

Which schools accepted or declined your application?

I was only explicitly declined from VCU (their reason given was that spots were full). I was offered interviews everywhere else, but only attended five interviews (to save money). Accepted to five: DYC, CUW, RFU, Shenandoah, and CU Denver.

Rhetorical question for pre-pharms: do you realize that something might be too good to be true if you're accepted to pharmacy school in a heartbeat with a 2.5 GPA, 30 PCAT, and no work experience?

Decline all the offers now and save yourself some headache in the future. In 4 years who knows where the job market will be. Right now it's utter trash.

Rhetorical question for pre-pharms: do you realize that something might be too good to be true if you're accepted to pharmacy school in a heartbeat with a 2.5 GPA, 30 PCAT, and no work experience?
Rhetorical or not, I'd say it would be tough. In my case, I had six years of work experience before I decided to pursue pharmacy.
To the OP: why pharmacy?
A lot of different reasons, but mostly because of cancer patients I've come to know over the years. Pharmacists were directly involved in their care. Their work pointed me in this direction. Whether I go in that field remains to be seen. I have four years to decide where I want to go.
Decline all the offers now and save yourself some headache in the future. In 4 years who knows where the job market will be. Right now it's utter trash.
Intersting to consider. This topic has been coming up a lot lately with pharmacists that I know. Let me know if you have any questions

Members don't see this ad :)
Rhetorical or not, I'd say it would be tough. In my case, I had six years of work experience before I decided to pursue pharmacy.

A lot of different reasons, but mostly because of cancer patients I've come to know over the years. Pharmacists were directly involved in their care. Their work pointed me in this direction. Whether I go in that field remains to be seen. I have four years to decide where I want to go.

Intersting to consider. This topic has been coming up a lot lately with pharmacists that I know. Let me know if you have any questions

this question has been popular on SDN and the thing is how do any of us know what the market will be like? No offense to anyone out there but we don't know that the future will mean for pharmacy. And that goes for any career out there. It's not just pharmacist but even Chemist, engineers, scientists, etc. The market is tough ATM but the field of pharmacy is also changing. So I say pursue Pharmacy if you like it, may the odds be ever in your favor

this question has been popular on SDN and the thing is how do any of us know what the market will be like? No offense to anyone out there but we don't know that the future will mean for pharmacy. And that goes for any career out there. It's not just pharmacist but even Chemist, engineers, scientists, etc. The market is tough ATM but the field of pharmacy is also changing. So I say pursue Pharmacy if you like it, may the odds be ever in your favor

That's some interesting insight. I can't claim to know whats going to happen in the future, but I do think people should pursue pharmacy if it's their passion.

Hi, I'll be going to pharmacy school this coming fall with what I think is a low gpa. If you have questions about the application process, interviews, or anythin else, ask away!

Basic info:
2.9 GPA
67 PCAT
B.S. Chemistry

my question is how does pharmcas calculate your gpa? If your school says you have a 2.5 will pharmcas even make it lower?

my question is how does pharmcas calculate your gpa? If your school says you have a 2.5 will pharmcas even make it lower?
The people applying these days, sad thing is this kid will get in somewhere and you people dont think this field is saturated by letting everyone in?

You have to i put all your coursework into pharmcas, they will calculate your gpa for you. If you search "pharmcas gpa calculation," there is a link for a chart showing how they weight your grades.

My current goa is a 2.9. However, because of coursework I have taken before my current college, I have a pharmcas 3.0 gpa. So it depends.
The people applying these days, sad thing is this kid will get in somewhere and you people dont think this field is saturated by letting everyone in?
I think people deserve a chance at pursuing something they have a passion for. Pharmacy schools accept students with higher and lower end gpa. The school I'll be attending has an expected 3.4 gpa. Candidates just need to have a strong app (ie. Volunteer work, a previous career, school clubs, research pubs, etc.) There is no guarantee a lowgpa would get in. Candidates have to show that they are prepared to take on graduate level curriculum.

I can't speak for saturation in the field of pharmacy. But if you have a question regarding my original post, I might be able to provide some insight.

Last edited:
You have to i put all your coursework into pharmcas, they will calculate your gpa for you. If you search "pharmcas gpa calculation," there is a link for a chart showing how they weight your grades.

My current goa is a 2.9. However, because of coursework I have taken before my current college, I have a pharmcas 3.0 gpa. So it depends.

I think people deserve a chance at pursuing something they have a passion for. Pharmacy schools accept students with higher and lower end gpa. The school I'll be attending has an expected 3.4 gpa. Candidates just need to have a strong app (ie. Volunteer work, a previous career, school clubs, research pubs, etc.) There is no guarantee a lowgpa would get in. Candidates have to show that they are prepared to take on graduate level curriculum.

I can't speak for saturation in the field of pharmacy. But if you have a question regarding my original post, I might be able to provide some insight.
Ok then, in regards to your original "AMA". Would you want a doctor examing you who could barely average better than a C in undergrad? Let alone the person checking the medications that could kill you?

I think people deserve a chance at pursuing something they have a passion for.

Luckily for applicants, with so many pharmacy schools and so few applicants in comparison, just about anyone who applies can get their chance to pursue pharmacy. You don't even need to have "passion" - just be ready to sign away $200k+ in student loans and you're all set.

Reactions: 1 users
Ok then, in regards to your original "AMA". Would you want a doctor examing you who could barely average better than a C in undergrad? Let alone the person checking the medications that could kill you?
I've actually never asked a doctor what grades they got in graduate school or undergraduate. I'm sorry, I can't really answer that. All I can say is that I haven't had any issues.
Luckily for applicants, with so many pharmacy schools and so few applicants in comparison, just about anyone who applies can get their chance to pursue pharmacy. You don't even need to have "passion" - just be ready to sign away $200k+ in student loans and you're all set.
I can see a some validity in this statement. The school I will be attending has an acceptance rate of about 20%. I guess depending on the point of view, that is pretty high. However, the caliber of students applying has increased gpa-wise according to the AACP over the past few years.

Let me know if you have a question regarding the app process or interviews, I would be happy to help!

What does it matter if a doctor averaged a C in undergrad? If he/she made it to med school then obviously we should judge on that alone. Must've done something right to make it through that rigorous coursework. Same as Pharmacist. If someone made it through the course load then apparently they were worthy enough. Nobody in their right mind will look up a doctor or pharmacist, run straight past their DOCTORATE to judge them on their undergrad gpa......

What does it matter if a doctor averaged a C in undergrad? If he/she made it to med school then obviously we should judge on that alone. Must've done something right to make it through that rigorous coursework. Same as Pharmacist. If someone made it through the course load then apparently they were worthy enough. Nobody in their right mind will look up a doctor or pharmacist, run straight past their DOCTORATE to judge them on their undergrad gpa......
Yeah, you're right! Why should we judge someone who could (or obviously couldnt) grasp the very basic concepts of their prepharm work? At this point since theyre letting people in with sub 3.0 GPAs and sub 50 PCAT scores why have any prework requirements ar all, who are we to judge? Our surgeons shouldnt have to understand anatomy, who are we to judge!? Our engineers shouldnt have to pass calculus, who are we to judge!? Our dentists shouldnt have to know how to dose anesthesia when drilling, who are we to judge!? Our nurses shouldnt have to know how to read a patient chart, who are we to judge!? Our mechanics should have to know how to properly assemble our vehicles, who are we to judge!? And of course asking that our pharmacists, the very profession who are fighting for extended scope of practice, certainly shouldnt be asked to know their core anatomy, chemistry, and biology at a proficient level, who are we to judge!?

Yeah, you're right! Why should we judge someone who could (or obviously couldnt) grasp the very basic concepts of their prepharm work? At this point since theyre letting people in with sub 3.0 GPAs and sub 50 PCAT scores why have any prework requirements ar all, who are we to judge? Our surgeons shouldnt have to understand anatomy, who are we to judge!? Our engineers shouldnt have to pass calculus, who are we to judge!? Our dentists shouldnt have to know how to dose anesthesia when drilling, who are we to judge!? Our nurses shouldnt have to know how to read a patient chart, who are we to judge!? Our mechanics should have to know how to properly assemble our vehicles, who are we to judge!? And of course asking that our pharmacists, the very profession who are fighting for extended scope of practice, certainly shouldnt be asked to know their core anatomy, chemistry, and biology at a proficient level, who are we to judge!?
You're obviously a troll. If someone who is a DOCTOR OF MEDICINE has passed every test, every assessment to practice medicine then obviously they understand basic anatomy REGARDLESS of their undergrad gpa.... same for a pharmacist. If someone GRADUATED with a DOCTORATE in pharmacy and passed all test and assessments to be a registered them OBVIOUSLY they know the core anatomy, biology and chemistry REGARDLESS of, once again, their undergrad gpa...... what's hard to understand about that. It doesn't matter if YOU think they don't qualify. Bottom line is If they don't have the basic knowledge they obviously won't make it through pharmacy school and therefore won't get the chance to kill someone... Same with any other profession.

You're obviously a troll. If someone who is a DOCTOR OF MEDICINE has passed every test, every assessment to practice medicine then obviously they understand basic anatomy REGARDLESS of their undergrad gpa.... same for a pharmacist. If someone GRADUATED with a DOCTORATE in pharmacy and passed all test and assessments to be a registered them OBVIOUSLY they know the core anatomy, biology and chemistry REGARDLESS of, once again, their undergrad gpa...... what's hard to understand about that. It doesn't matter if YOU think they don't qualify. Bottom line is If they don't have the basic knowledge they obviously won't make it through pharmacy school and therefore won't get the chance to kill someone... Same with any other profession.

I'm not trolling, I'm trying to make a point as to where the profession is headed. There are literally no standards to admission anymore. If you truly think someone who couldn't even obtain a 3.0 in undergrad understands the material, you need to look at your anatomy book and check where your head is supposed to be (it's not supposed to be in your butt). Any monkey can regurgitate information and PASS a test. You want somebody checking your medications who passed the test, or would you want the one who actually understood the material. Having a DOCTORATE doesn't mean anything, it isn't difficult. Understanding the material is difficult.

I'm not trolling, I'm trying to make a point as to where the profession is headed. There are literally no standards to admission anymore. If you truly think someone who couldn't even obtain a 3.0 in undergrad understands the material, you need to look at your anatomy book and check where your head is supposed to be (it's not supposed to be in your butt). Any monkey can regurgitate information and PASS a test. You want somebody checking your medications who passed the test, or would you want the one who actually understood the material. Having a DOCTORATE doesn't mean anything, it isn't difficult. Understanding the material is difficult.
Then it's the same with undergrad gpa by your standards. If Anyone can pass a test and regurgitate info what makes you think someone with a 4.0 actually understands the material?

Then it's the same with undergrad gpa by your standards. If Anyone can pass a test and regurgitate info what makes you think someone with a 4.0 actually understands the material?

Getting a 4.0 shows a proficiency for all material, you can't bs your way to straight A's at a respectable university. A person who gets less than a 3.0 is just trying to pass, can look off their friends test or put answers in their calculator. OP also had a 67 on the PCAT showing they really don't understand the material at all, and the PCAT is a very easy test compared to the MCAT. Sure, someone who had a 3.4 may understand the material better than a 4.0 student. OP isn't even a B average student, nor are many of the idiots getting into pharm school these days. How do you not see this as a problem?

Like my original posting states, I will answer questions regarding the steps I took to get admitted to pharmacy school. Feel free to post comments or questions. However, I think I will begin to respond only to questions pertaining to my original post.

I will continue to read your comments (even if I do not reply to them)!

Like my original posting states, I will answer questions regarding the steps I took to get admitted to pharmacy school. Feel free to post comments or questions. However, I think I will begin to respond only to questions pertaining to my original post.

"How I got into pharm school
Filled out an application, clicked the button saying I would take out my loans."
Kennyclimbs, maybe.

Which biology classes did you take?

Getting a 4.0 shows a proficiency for all material, you can't bs your way to straight A's at a respectable university. A person who gets less than a 3.0 is just trying to pass, can look off their friends test or put answers in their calculator. OP also had a 67 on the PCAT showing they really don't understand the material at all, and the PCAT is a very easy test compared to the MCAT. Sure, someone who had a 3.4 may understand the material better than a 4.0 student. OP isn't even a B average student, nor are many of the idiots getting into pharm school these days. How do you not see this as a problem?
I don't see a problem with a pharmacist or a doctor who was an average student in undergrad. They are where I want to be, where hundreds of students couldn't cut it.... so kudos to them. They also have the same credentials that I assume you have.
Bottom line is you shouldn't be a jerk to all the students you troll on these forums, especially if you already have a secure job in this amazing field. Why are you so angry? I'm starting to think the C student graduated and took your job ‍♀️ But have a great time trolling on these forums, since I'm sure you won't stop

Congratulations on your success!!!

Which biology classes did you take?
Mostly the usual suspects. I have taken gen bio, genetics, micro, cell bio, metabolic biochem, and structural biochem. I'm still working on human anatomy and physio, finishing those up soon.
Congratulations on your success!!!
Thanks so much! I'm really excited for what comes up next.

Mostly the usual suspects. I have taken gen bio, genetics, micro, cell bio, metabolic biochem, and structural biochem. I'm still working on human anatomy and physio, finishing those up soon.

Thanks so much! I'm really excited for what comes up next.

Some schools have extended their deadlines to June. Is it possible to submit pharmcas for verification right now and submit applications to these schools?

Some schools have extended their deadlines to June. Is it possible to submit pharmcas for verification right now and submit applications to these schools?
Theoretically, yes. If deadlines are pushed back, you can submit anytime before then. I would check with each school specifically to make sure all your ducks are in a row.

I can see a some validity in this statement. The school I will be attending has an acceptance rate of about 20%. I guess depending on the point of view, that is pretty high. However, the caliber of students applying has increased gpa-wise according to the AACP over the past few years.

Let me know if you have a question regarding the app process or interviews, I would be happy to help!

This is the problem with this generation of kids. Too many of them have never been through enough hardships to develop a spine. Some kids really do have a "I'm so great, I'm the center of the universe" type of mentality. The fact that this kid doesn't find it alarming that a so-called professional school has let him in with such low grades is a good cautionary tale about the state of pharmacy schools.

If you're going to make a statement about how your pharmacy school is "competitive":smack: or "how the caliber of students applying has increased gpa-wise":heckyeah:, then I would appreciate it if you would back it up with objective data. I saw your previous comments on how you got accepted to the University of Colorado School of Pharmacy.

I checked the AACP website for the trend data on pharmacy school applicants. Guess what? The total number of applicants for your school has been going down. It was 1821 for the 2006-2007 school year. Now it's 648 for the 2014-15 school year! Yes, there were three times more applicants for your school ten years ago than there are today. Chances are, you wouldn't have even gotten an interview at the same school if you applied ten years ago. But now? These schools are desperate to keep the seats filled and they'll take anyone.

So where did you get your info from? Did you pull it out of thin air? Did one of the deans lie to you?
Any ***** can get into pharmacy school these days.

I have nothing against you, but I'm not going to sugarcoat this. You didn't get into pharmacy school because you "worked hard" or "showed passion" as the mouth-breathing *****s on the pre-pharmacy section like to believe. You got in because these schools can charge pharmacy students an outrageous amount of tuition and they saw you as another body to fill their pharmacy school seats. You didn't come off as "exceptional" or that "all your extracurricular work" proved you were destined for pharmacy. They couldn't care less about you. The only thing they cared about was the fact that you would be paying their expensive tuition with student loan money!

So maybe you should take heed next time you post a thread as asinine as "AMA: I was accepted to schools w/ low gpa". It doesn't make you look like some hard-working genius, it makes you look like a sucker.

Last edited:
I don't see a problem with a pharmacist or a doctor who was an average student in undergrad. They are where I want to be, where hundreds of students couldn't cut it.... so kudos to them. They also have the same credentials that I assume you have.
Bottom line is you shouldn't be a jerk to all the students you troll on these forums, especially if you already have a secure job in this amazing field. Why are you so angry? I'm starting to think the C student graduated and took your job ‍♀️ But have a great time trolling on these forums, since I'm sure you won't stop
Most doctors were superstars in undergrad. The average GPA of a medical school applicant is now 3.55, and the average GPA of those who were accepted is 3.70. That means those people had more A's than B's and almost no C's. A C-average GPA is 2.00. Those people don't get accepted to medical school. So I have not idea what you're talking about when you make a claim that there are doctors out there with C-average undergrad grades. I'm sorry to say this but it's sad to see pharmacy schools let in substandard students into their so-called professional schools. Pharmacy used to attract very bright students, but now it's relegated to letting in anyone who will apply. It's no wonder the pass rate for the pharmacy licensing exam has been going down.

I hope they don't let you in, you don't seem to come off as bright when you make these unfounded claims.

Most doctors were superstars in undergrad. The average GPA of a medical school applicant is now 3.55, and the average GPA of those who were accepted is 3.70. That means those people had more A's than B's and almost no C's. A C-average GPA is 2.00. Those people don't get accepted to medical school. So I have not idea what you're talking about when you make a claim that there are doctors out there with C-average undergrad grades. I'm sorry to say this but it's sad to see pharmacy schools let in substandard students into their so-called professional schools. Pharmacy used to attract very bright students, but now it's relegated to letting in anyone who will apply. It's no wonder the pass rate for the pharmacy licensing exam has been going down.

I hope they don't let you in, you don't seem to come off as bright when you make these unfounded claims.
In before the obligatory "Im gonna kick ass and replace you!!!!!!!" comment from some ***** prepharmer who is too young and dumb to realize how bad the school and corporations are going to take advantage of them. The girl above who says "its none of our business" what someones grades are only confirms what you say. Preach it brother!

Basic info:
2.9 GPA
67 PCAT
B.S. Chemistry
Mind if I ask which schools you applied to? And what else did you do to strengthen your application? Thanks

In before the obligatory "Im gonna kick ass and replace you!!!!!!!" comment from some ***** prepharmer who is too young and dumb to realize how bad the school and corporations are going to take advantage of them. The girl above who says "its none of our business" what someones grades are only confirms what you say. Preach it brother!

I thought I could kick ass and replace a terrible pharmacist...

...until I got my ass kicked, got replaced myself by a hungrier new grad, and realized that I was the terrible pharmacist.

Last edited:

If you can read, I didn't make that claim in the first place. ASUPharm started the convo about C average doctors. Go troll somewhere else...

Corporations take advantage of everyone no matter what career path you take. So your point is..... what again??

Mind if I ask which schools you applied to? And what else did you do to strengthen your application? Thanks
I applied to SJFC, LIU, Touro College, Belmont, Lipscomb, and LECOM. (Plus the schools I listed in a previous response (above).

I've volunteered in health-related fields, lots of clubs/sports as a student, and worked a few years before deciding to pursue pharmacy.

If you can read, I didn't make that claim in the first place. ASUPharm started the convo about C average doctors. Go troll somewhere else...
Reality check Einstein, you were the one who said you were okay with a doctor's having C grades in undergrad.
You're the one who said you had no problem with pharmacists or doctor's being average students. Then you inferred that these "average" students were C students. A C-grade is not considered average even in high school. C's are considered to be way-below agerage grades by most colleges. Undergraduate work has been dumbed down so much with grade inflation these past two decades, you have to be very stupid or try very hard to fail in order to get below a 3.0 GPA in this day and age.The majority of grades received by students at college these days is an A.

So, who does care about a Doctor's grades? Society, the medical profession, and patients. If you can't even handle undergraduate work, then you're not gonna make it through medical school.

If you're gonna use an ad hominem attack on people who post contrary viewpoints, then you've admitted defeat. If you can't even counter my arguments using objective data or reliable resources, then you are the one who has nothing to contribute. Although, I have to admit it's a lot of fun to see a weaker mind try to squirm. You're only getting mad and resorting to ad hominem attacks because you neither put in the work or had the ability to master your undergraduate courses. You're stuck with a pitiful GPA, and you don't want to hear other people tell you that pharmacy schools are screwing over their graduates by opening more schools and flooding the market with more pharmacists than is needed, because you most likely would never get accepted by the other health professions schools (medicine, dentistry, PA).

So instead of calling me a 'troll' you should do what adults do and counter me with objective data and reliable news sources. I highly doubt you are capable of that since it seems you struggle to even master those multiple choice exams they give you in college.

Getting right to the point. Graduated 2 years ago with 2 degrees, Biology and Chemistry with a 2.679. Certified pharmacy tech for 2 years and just recently went back to school to up my gpa. Never failed a class, but I did have two D's in inorganic and statistics. Retook those while still in undergrad and I got an A in inorganic and a C in statistics. I mostly had a ton of C's but I'm in the process of turning a few of them into A's. So far I have taken a year of orgo over and got an A both semesters this time (had a C the first time) and an A in psychology and medical terminology. I've raised it to a 2.8 cGPA and a 2.6 sGPA.

I looked at your post history, and now I know why you get so defensive. It's no wonder that you insist that undergraduate grades are not important.

When I do I'll be sure you'll be the first to know:kiss:
Be sure to tell us when you start failing classes, get put on academic probation, and then expelled. There's plenty of subpar students who've been admitted to pharmacy school who then get crushed by the curriculum. The attrition rate is now 10-16%. We can thank the C-students and students with 2.69 GPAs for those stats.