AMCAS Activities Section Suggestions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mr. Peanutbutter

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

New applicant for the 2018-2019 cycle. I'm having a bit of difficulty conceptualizing how I'm going to enter my descriptions in the activities section of my MD app and I was hoping someone who's applied can help clear a few things up. I've read a few articles on the section but none of it seems to answer my questions.

1. How did you enter activities where you held more than one leadership role. For ex: if you were a member of a club and were secretary, then treasurer, then president (and they were all significant leadership roles), how would you enter it into the app?

2. How did you approach activities that covered more than one topic? For ex: if you work in clinical research in a hospital, I would consider that paid employment, research, and clinical exposure.

Does anyone have any other suggestions for the activities section or things they wish they prepared better for their apps beforehand?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

1. There is a place to enter the experience name. I would just say multiple leadership roles in Organization X (I think there might be a character limit here, or you could write out each leadership role individually if theres not)
2. Unfortunately you have to pick from a list of activity types and you can only select one (if I recall correctly) so you should pick the most relevant one, but in the description section you can definitely elaborate on what other opportunities it provided for you. For example if you choose research, you could also mention your patient exposure etc.

Reactions: 2 users
1. There is a place to enter the experience name. I would just say multiple leadership roles in Organization X (I think there might be a character limit here, or you could write out each leadership role individually if theres not)
2. Unfortunately you have to pick from a list of activity types and you can only select one (if I recall correctly) so you should pick the most relevant one, but in the description section you can definitely elaborate on what other opportunities it provided for you. For example if you choose research, you could also mention your patient exposure etc.
1) The character limit for a title is about 65 characters+spaces.

2) Or include mention of the other category in the title. You can choose the category based on what will balance your application best. Eg, if you have no other clinical experience, you'd better tag it as Employment-Medical/Clinical rather than Research, but include the word "Research" in the title of the activity. In the description, you'd break down the hours into time spent interacting with a patient in a helpful way, vs data entry, recruitment calls, etc.

BTW, all research referred to as "clinical" isn't necessarily going to cover AMCAS school expectations for patient interaction.

Reactions: 1 users
New applicant for the 2018-2019 cycle. I'm having a bit of difficulty conceptualizing how I'm going to enter my descriptions in the activities section of my MD app

Does anyone have any other suggestions for the activities section or things they wish they prepared better for their apps beforehand?
There is a thread dedicated to questions about the AMCAS Activities section that is still open from the current cycle: AMCAS 2017-2018 EC Tips Thread: *~*~*~*Official AMCAS Work/Activities Tips Thread 2017-2018*~*~*~* including a FAQ section in posts #2 & 3.