AMCAS : All Questions Here

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
CyberTammy said:
This is incorrect. You will get secondaries from certain schools that don't screen. I went through the process with my boyfriend last year and he took the august mcat and he certainly got secondaries before the scores were out.

sorryyyyyyyyyy. okay, obviously i didnt take the august mcat.

Members don't see this ad.

gdk said:
just wondering if anybody has experience with engineering classes with an engineering course label that were really just math classes. i have 2 of these that are labeled engineering, but were really calculus classes taught by the engineering department. i'm going to try to enter them as math instead of engineering but i'm wondering if amcas is going to change these to engineering, so i would be better off just classifying them as engineering to start with.
anybody been through something like this?

I wanted to ask the same question!

I think it's fair to do so, but does anyone know for sure if it's not?

jlee9531 said:
even though you have advanced standing...you should input it into amcas as you would if you didnt have the advanced standing.

so classes you took your first year = freshman
2nd year = sophomore etc...

Wait, but I finished in 3 years. Does that mean I don't label any courses taken as a senior in the 'senior' category???

Members don't see this ad :)
CaptainJack02 said:
I wanted to ask the same question!

I think it's fair to do so, but does anyone know for sure if it's not?

Hope this helps...

Summary: FAQ: BCPM/A: Course Classification Question
Details: To Whom It May Concern:

I have a question about course classifcation for some graduate courses I have taken. I am in an MPH program, which includes courses in biostatistics and epidemiology. Can I classify the biostatistics courses as "Math" in AMCAS? Some of the epidemiology courses I have taken have been rather math-intensive, and others have been relatively biology-intensive. Can I classify these as "Biology" or "Math"? Thanks.
Sincerely,
KJ

Solution:
Dear Applicant,

Thank you for contacting AMCAS.

The designation of BCPM/A codes depends upon the content of the course, not the course title or department. For example, some psychology courses study the chemistry of the brain. These courses can be designated as chemistry courses, even though they are taught by the Psychology Department. There are many cases where you may be unsure, such as biochemistry and engineering courses. These will be a judgement call on your part.

If you are really having trouble deciding, then we suggest that you contact the professor of the course and ask his/her opinion.

If you have any questions or if we can be of additional assistance, please contact us at [email protected] or (202) 828-0600.

AMCAS
Association of American Medical Colleges
Section for Medical School Application Services
2450 N St., NW
Washington, DC 20037
U.S.A.

General Inquiries: (202) 828-0600
Fax: (202) 828-1120
www.aamc.org/AMCAS

Cheers, all.

For GDK,

yeah, you can get away with listing some engineering classes as BCPM, but it totally depends on the title of the class, it doesn't even matter what the class actually entailed, because the amcas auditors are going to decide just based on the title since most transcripts don't have course descriptions. if it sounds like a math class, ok, if not, sol. If they don't classify the class the way you want, you can petition them, but every little step delays your app from being verified. AMCAS not agreeing with your classifications is like a 2 week delay, then your recourse and petition can add another 2-4 weeks. At that cost, it might not be worth it.

I've been advised by a number of different people that if your core BCPM classes are strong, just go with that, and don't risk anything. If you do want to add some engineering classes as BCPM make sure the titles are very explicit. Like I have a biomedical engineering class called neuroscience, that can likely be accepted as being under Biology. Its rough though, almost irrational why AMCAS doesn't show consideration for engineering classes, especially biomedical engineering classes.

despite what that above letter said, i really think it is based on the title, because thats all they have to go on initially. they don't spend the time to research the content of an individual class for 1 single person, they make you do that and prove that to them if they disagree with you.

their rationale makes sense, but i think that letter from amcas is misleading. they're saying you can make your own judgement call, but they can and possibly will disagree with you at their discretion (based on the title, maybe some institutional history plays a role as well).

docmemi said:
EVERYONE ATTENTION: you must put your PS in microsoft NOTEPADand format it. then paste it. that way it will keep its format.

you CANNOT transfer from microsoft word cause it may lose the formating (spaces, paragraph breaks, indents, etc).

Docmemi - the only formatting you can do in Notepad is line spacing and paragraph spacing, right? Can you do boldface, or italics and does that carry through to the AMCAS screen?

Thanks

I tried the bold... it didn't work.

I assume were doing the "wrap to page" instead of "wrap to ruler" option???

So, when we finally get to send these in for "certification" *IF* there's an error... do they fix it and it just takes longer, or do they boot it back to you and tell YOU what to fix???

Apparition said:
Is music classified as fine arts or other? Also, how is economics classified? Thanks.

Music is fine arts and econ is social/behavioral science. If you click on the help button at the top of the screen, a window will pop up with very helpful hints. :)

Is it wiser to get a transcript sent now, when my spring grades aren't up yet, or to wait for the grades to be posted before having the transcript sent? Thanks.

I took summer classes after getting my BS at the same university I went for undergrad. Do I list the school twice? One for undergrad and one for post-bac undergrad? Or list it once?

Thanks!

skittles said:
Is it wiser to get a transcript sent now, when my spring grades aren't up yet, or to wait for the grades to be posted before having the transcript sent? Thanks.

up to you...did you do well this spring? do you want those classes to be a part of your amcas gpa? if yes, then wait.

Members don't see this ad :)
CoverMe said:
I tried the bold... it didn't work.

I assume were doing the "wrap to page" instead of "wrap to ruler" option???

So, when we finally get to send these in for "certification" *IF* there's an error... do they fix it and it just takes longer, or do they boot it back to you and tell YOU what to fix???

i dont think they correct your ps, just verify your courses/transcript/gpa.

PublicEnemy said:
despite what that above letter said, i really think it is based on the title, because thats all they have to go on initially. they don't spend the time to research the content of an individual class for 1 single person, they make you do that and prove that to them if they disagree with you.

their rationale makes sense, but i think that letter from amcas is misleading. they're saying you can make your own judgement call, but they can and possibly will disagree with you at their discretion (based on the title, maybe some institutional history plays a role as well).

you guys just decide by yourselves. if they disagree, they will correct it. and a correction is not the end of the world. im pretty sure that amcas doesnt tell the schools what they corrected...they told me last year that the schools just get the corrected version.

Technical Communication -- Engineering (ENGIN) 190 [3 units]
Course Format: Three hours of lecture per week.
Prerequisites: English 1A or equivalent course; upper division standing.
Description: Principles of technical communication: analyzing one's audience;
organizing material; developing a clear, economical style; using proper formats
and rhetorical strategies for formal technical reports, feasibility studies,
abstracts, descriptions and instructions, proposals, letters, and memos.
Practice in oral presentations to technical and nontechnical audiences.
Sponsoring Department: Engineering Interdisciplinary Studies.

How should I classify the above course? How about PE classes like tennis or weightraining?

Thanks!

I'm taking the MCAT in August, but am still interested in submitting my AMCAS application early..I'm still writing my personal statement and just beginning my application..I won't be done until mid june. docmemi, would you consider june 15th late?

docmemi said:
i dont think they correct your ps, just verify your courses/transcript/gpa.

sorry, i was unclear in my question. i wasn't referring to them correcting the PS, i meant if there was some error in the courses etc. how is that handled? i've heard others mention a "two week delay"... meaning that this is standard and known?? like penalties??

how are corrections made... do THEY make them, or do they send them to you to make them?

docjolly said:
I'm taking the MCAT in August, but am still interested in submitting my AMCAS application early..I'm still writing my personal statement and just beginning my application..I won't be done until mid june. docmemi, would you consider june 15th late?
nope. not late at all. thats still pretty early. you should be verified quite quickly.

CoverMe said:
sorry, i was unclear in my question. i wasn't referring to them correcting the PS, i meant if there was some error in the courses etc. how is that handled? i've heard others mention a "two week delay"... meaning that this is standard and known?? like penalties??

how are corrections made... do THEY make them, or do they send them to you to make them?

ohh. they make them themselves, NOT YOU. ummm, i dont think there is a 2 week delay...thats what the verification process is to begin with--someone sits there and litearlly compares the transcript sent to them to what you typed and corrects it, i guess right there and then.

This may have been asked already, but i cannot seem to locate it. It says to put AP credit received at your college under their coursework. Which year and quarter/semester do we put it in? Thanks

Does anyone know what the contact is for under experiences. I am filling this out and have realized that they do not ask for a phone number or email address. Why do they need to know someone's name if they really aren't going to contact them?

mdsadler said:
Does anyone know what the contact is for under experiences. I am filling this out and have realized that they do not ask for a phone number or email address. Why do they need to know someone's name if they really aren't going to contact them?

just in case i guess. i always wondered too. but i think thats an optional field to begin with. :confused:

Does anyone count giving blood as a volunteer experience? I've been doing it for years, not a big deal, but I'm up close to 3 gallons, which I guess is closing on 50 sessions.

from AMCAS instruction booklet page 27

"All courses that appear on your transcripts and for which a grade and credit were ever assigned will be included in AMCAS GPA calculations, even if they are not included in the GPA calculations of the transcript-issuing school. This includes, but is not limited to:
? Courses from which you withdrew."

Do they mean that a withdrawal from a class *is equal to* an 'F' grade for AMCAS GPA purposes. That is, for a class which you withdrew, the units for that class are counted in the calculations even though no quality points are earned. That would be stunning if true.

So I read in an earlier post, if you had a bad spring semester, you could send your transcript out without those grades to AMCAS before your school puts the spring grades on the transcript? I may have misread or completely not read the previous posts.

Also does anyone know if doing your amcas application over a wireless connection is safe? I think a friend told me that using wireless connection for something private is not a good idea. Does anyone else know about this?

Thanks and good luck.

pbehzad said:
So I read in an earlier post, if you had a bad spring semester, you could send your transcript out without those grades to AMCAS before your school puts the spring grades on the transcript? I may have misread or completely not read the previous posts.

Also does anyone know if doing your amcas application over a wireless connection is safe? I think a friend told me that using wireless connection for something private is not a good idea. Does anyone else know about this?

Thanks and good luck.

Yes, submit to amcas before the spring grades are posted on transcript, but some schools may ask for them on secondaries or during interviews.
wireless goes through router in your area and is very safe, as safe on line cables. no secuity issues

derf said:
Yes, submit to amcas before the spring grades are posted on transcript, but some schools may ask for them on secondaries or during interviews.
wireless goes through router in your area and is very safe, as safe on line cables. no secuity issues

So any day now I'm expecting my spring grades to be posted (and they will definitely bring my overall and science gpa down), should i get a transcript sent out immediately to amcas or do you think its too late? I really wish i knew this earlier cause it wouldve helped alot. Would med schools eventually see the bad grades from the spring term?

thanks

derf said:

Not true. Wirelss is often less secure than wired networks because so many routers are not set up and secured properly. There have been quite a few cases of businessmen using hotels' wireless networks and then getting screwed from information that was picked up by others over the wireless network.

However, there's nothing to worry about; AMCAS is transmitted over an encrypted connection, so as long as you see https:// in the URL and the closed lock in your browser, you're fine...this overcomes the security issues with wireless routers since even if someone picks up what your transmitting, they won't be able to decrypt it.

pbehzad said:
So any day now I'm expecting my spring grades to be posted (and they will definitely bring my overall and science gpa down), should i get a transcript sent out immediately to amcas or do you think its too late? I really wish i knew this earlier cause it wouldve helped alot. Would med schools eventually see the bad grades from the spring term?

thanks

I would just go to the registrar's office when they first open tomorrow and *hope* no grades were posted. If no grades were posted, take the AMCAS transcript request form with you and tell them to rush process ASAP. Some schools do it while you wait. before they seal it, ensure no spring grades were posted. You should be good to go. Some schools *accept* you without asking for updates. However, once you're accepted you will need to provide finals just for verification

pbehzad said:
Would med schools eventually see the bad grades from the spring term?

I would think that this would be a very likely question to encouter in interviews...a whole semester's worth of grades missing is sort of noticeable. But, I have no experience with this.

javert said:
Not true. Wirelss is often less secure than wired networks because so many routers are not set up and secured properly. There have been quite a few cases of businessmen using hotels' wireless networks and then getting screwed from information that was picked up by others over the wireless network.

However, there's nothing to worry about; AMCAS is transmitted over an encrypted connection, so as long as you see https:// in the URL and the closed lock in your browser, you're fine...this overcomes the security issues with wireless routers since even if someone picks up what your transmitting, they won't be able to decrypt it.

yeah, I took the assumption that the original poster was referring to *sensitive* data, which is usually always security encrypted (i.e, https)

pbehzad said:

thanks

yes. if you dont want those grades included, get the transcript out immediately. the schools will use your amcas gpa in deciding to admit you or not, for the most part. some schools will ask you for updated transcripts once you get an interview, while others ask after youve been accepted. and sometimes you might want to show your grades to update the schools and make your app stronger, esp after you interview or if you get on the waitlist (and maybe some want to give it before interview...like if they havent heard from a school for a long time post-secondary). for now, if it brings your gpa down then i would send the unupdated transcript asap.

docmemi said:
yes. if you dont want those grades included, get the transcript out immediately. the schools will use your amcas gpa in deciding to admit you or not, for the most part. some schools will ask you for updated transcripts once you get an interview, while others ask after youve been accepted. and sometimes you might want to show your grades to update the schools and make your app stronger, esp after you interview or if you get on the waitlist (and maybe some want to give it before interview...like if they havent heard from a school for a long time post-secondary). for now, if it brings your gpa down then i would send the unupdated transcript asap.

Dammit this sucks cause I'm 800 miles away from my school. I drove back home on saturday. So would I have the transcript sent to AMCAS tomorrow, or what exactly do I need to do. I thought AMCAS doesnt start accepting transcripts until june 1.
thanks.

pbehzad said:
Dammit this sucks cause I'm 800 miles away from my school. I drove back home on saturday. So would I have the transcript sent to AMCAS tomorrow, or what exactly do I need to do. I thought AMCAS doesnt start accepting transcripts until june 1.
thanks.

hmm. june 1 is when they accept applications. but im pretty sure they will accept your transcript now. they hold it until they get your app. perhaps some others on here know the exact date. but since the transcript request is available then im sure they will accept it. plus, its like the first thing most people do way before submitting. when they receive it, they will put a msg on your amcas app...on the first page when you logon.

just call first thing in the morning and say, i do not want my spring grades on my transcript. please help asap.

For classes that had no lecture component -- e.g., orchestra or ballroom dancing -- do we enter them as "Lab Only"? I couldn't find this in the Instruction Booklet, though I was reading pretty quickly...

docmemi said:
hmm. june 1 is when they accept applications. but im pretty sure they will accept your transcript now. they hold it until they get your app. perhaps some others on here know the exact date. but since the transcript request is available then im sure they will accept it. plus, its like the first thing most people do way before submitting. when they receive it, they will put a msg on your amcas app...on the first page when you logon.

just call first thing in the morning and say, i do not want my spring grades on my transcript. please help asap.

Thanks for your help. Is it ok if then on the transcript it only shows the grade for 1 semester of physics compared to 2? I'm just a little pissed that i should've known about this earlier, cause it wouldve have definitely helped out.

thanks for your advice, ill call them first thing in the morning.

Do you think AMCAS would accept the form from my Registrars office if i faxed them the form tomorrow morning. I haven't finished the form yet, but does the transcript form require a signature?
thanks

pbehzad said:
Do you think AMCAS would accept the form from my Registrars office if i faxed them the form tomorrow morning. I haven't finished the form yet, but does the transcript form require a signature?
thanks

yes, signature required for your registrar, but not for amcas. So tell your registrar or records dept to send the faxed AMCAS form with your transcripts.

good idea!! fax it tonight at a kinko's or something so it'll be the first one they see in the morning. also, don't forget to ensure they rush process before your spring grades arrive.

derf said:
from AMCAS instruction booklet page 27

"All courses that appear on your transcripts and for which a grade and credit were ever assigned will be included in AMCAS GPA calculations, even if they are not included in the GPA calculations of the transcript-issuing school. This includes, but is not limited to:
? Courses from which you withdrew."

Do they mean that a withdrawal from a class *is equal to* an 'F' grade for AMCAS GPA purposes. That is, for a class which you withdrew, the units for that class are counted in the calculations even though no quality points are earned. That would be stunning if true.

No Of course not - I do not think a W counts as an F. THe only thing is that they don't wanna see a whole lot of W's. For example, I took 3 days of a Bio class more than 10 years ago at a community college and dropped immediately. This year I completed the same Biology class as part of a postbac and graduated right at the top of my class. No way that they're gonna combine this with the W weighted as an F.

Anyone else know better?

derf said:
yes, signature required for your registrar, but not for amcas. So tell your registrar or records dept to send the faxed AMCAS form with your transcripts.

good idea!! fax it tonight at a kinko's or something so it'll be the first one they see in the morning. also, don't forget to ensure they rush process before your spring grades arrive.

Ok so is it going to hurt my application that I dont put the spring semester grades? I'm just a little worried they are thinking this guy is trying to cheat the system. I did speak with my registrar this morning and the amcas people. The lady at the registrar said she would send it out today once she gets the money from my friend, and the amcas people said that i could fax them the transcript request form. So now im just waiting to hear from my friend on whether he has gone to pay for the transcript or not.

So what will i put for my spring classes then, would i just say in progress or what do you put when its incomplete? I'm just wondering that my gpa would be alot different if i show them an unupdated transcript than that of one with the spring grades.

Thanks.

Well what do you think the adcoms will think? specially if other folks from your school are applying and they have their spring grades on them...I would only do this IF your spring semester is not over until June or whatnot...good luck either way!

efex101 said:
Well what do you think the adcoms will think? specially if other folks from your school are applying and they have their spring grades on them...I would only do this IF your spring semester is not over until June or whatnot...good luck either way!

So you think its not worth the risk. Im just thinking that my since my gpa will be alot higher without spring grades on it. My classes finished up last week and any day now i am going get my grades posted on my transcript. How negatively do you think this will look? couldn't i update the grades.

it shouldn't really be a problem. as long as you list that you were enrolled in classes during the spring semester, it won't really matter if those grades aren't there. and if you think it would really hurt your gpa to have those classes in there, then just go ahead and get that transcript sent in now.

i went to school on the quarter system. our spring quarter grades didn't post on our transcript til late in june, and we were all advised to have transcripts sent to amcas without waiting for those last quarter grades, the time delay just wasn't worth it.

you'll probably be able to talk around your situation as being along the same lines.

Thanks for all the help with AMCAS so far! I have 2 questions about transcripts:
1.) I have already submitted my AMCAS transcript request to my school, however I am taking a biochem class right now which I hope to get an A in and if so, I would like schools to see that grade (especially because I once got a C in o-chem). Grades won't be posted for this term until mid-June though. Can I send an updated transcript to schools along with secondaries when I get them?

2.) I currently have an incomplete on my trancript (2 credit Thesis Seminar) which will likely not be resolved until Fall term. Does this look bad? Will it affect my GPA at all?

Hey guys,

I had a question about transcripts. There are a couple of institutions I attended that are like 3 hours driving distance away, so I will be requesting transcripts remotely. What is the best way to go about doing this? Should I mail the transcript request form? Should I fax it? Is there an option to do this electronically within the AMCAS application itself?

Thanks in advance!

txguy,

You must work your way down to the transcript section of the AMCAS application, print the required forms, and include them with your request for transcript. The method of getting your transcript sent out is decided by the individual schools. I think mine were all by fax, including payment by credit card.

Regardless of what you do the schools will eventually SEE all the grades, if you send it now they will know know, if you later update them they will see it later..so what you need to think is how will YOU look if the adcoms get other applications from people in your school and their grades are listed on AMCAS? of course you can say well what are the odd of that....well, you do not know but what if they do know that your school is NOT on the quarter system and that grades are posted by May? I guess you have to live with either choice...I myself just knowing that I worry waaay too much would send in the transcripts with my recent grades I would not risk it. If you feel comfortable NOT sending them in and possibly getting questioned about this later then don't.

OrthoFixation said:
txguy,

You must work your way down to the transcript section of the AMCAS application, print the required forms, and include them with your request for transcript. The method of getting your transcript sent out is decided by the individual schools. I think mine were all by fax, including payment by credit card.

Thanks! I hope UT accepts faxes, bc I do not want to wait for snail mail or drive 3 hours!

-tx