AMCAS : All Questions Here

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I know this has been asked somewhere before, but I can't find an answer for it. For the course number, it only allows for 8 characters... but some of my classes don't fit in 8 digits. On my transcript, for example, a course number would be Physics6A. The "help" box at AMCAS says to put the last 8 digits, but it looks really stupid with just "hysics6A." Does anyone have any tips? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

UCLAstudent said:
I know this has been asked somewhere before, but I can't find an answer for it. For the course number, it only allows for 8 characters... but some of my classes don't fit in 8 digits. On my transcript, for example, a course number would be Physics6A. The "help" box at AMCAS says to put the last 8 digits, but it looks really stupid with just "hysics6A." Does anyone have any tips? Thanks.

I called AMCAS about this. Write Physic6A, not hysics6A. What they meant about the last 8 digits is "numbers". Some schools have more than eight "numbers" in the course identifier. But for you, abbreviate the physics as logically (in this case, physic is the best) as possible and include the 6A always.

ok, so this is really just a variation on pbehzad's dilemma: i'm on quarters, here. i'm not expecting *bad* grades for spring quarter, but this quarter will bring my GPA down a *tiny* bit, for whatever that's worth. my last final is on june 10, and grades won't be done until at least one week after that (probably more). at that rate, my MCAT score will likely be up on THx before i get my grades anyway, so.....should i just do the whole "submit the transcript right now" kind of thing, without my spring quarter grades?

also, if AMCAS requires you to list all classes for which you are registered, but have not yet taken, then i will have my spring, summer, and fall schedules all listed on my app without any grades. would that look weird? well, i guess it would, but, i mean, would it look bad ?

Members don't see this ad :)
superdevil said:
ok, so this is really just a variation on pbehzad's dilemma: i'm on quarters, here. i'm not expecting *bad* grades for spring quarter, but this quarter will bring my GPA down a *tiny* bit, for whatever that's worth. my last final is on june 10, and grades won't be done until at least one week after that (probably more). at that rate, my MCAT score will likely be up on THx before i get my grades anyway, so.....should i just do the whole "submit the transcript right now" kind of thing, without my spring quarter grades?

also, if AMCAS requires you to list all classes for which you are registered, but have not yet taken, then i will have my spring, summer, and fall schedules all listed on my app without any grades. would that look weird? well, i guess it would, but, i mean, would it look bad ?

I'm just like you. quarter system also. and have current/planned for spring/summer/fall. Why would it look bad? I'm not sure I understand the risk here. I just sent my transcript last week without spring grades b/c they will be available late june as you said. My spring grades I'm expecting are excellent, but why should i apply later while they're not even needed in the first place. TMDSAS is a different service and require your spring grades, but AMCAS does not, so what's the big deal. Schools wouldn't be "suspicious" about it cause they don't require it. If spring brings your GPA down a bit, then send your transcript in without the spring and list them as current. Some schools will ask for updates but *most* do not

Thank you, derf! I had put Physic6A because the other way just looked so ridiculous.

About the transcripts... I am going to send mine out before I know spring grades. My grades are fine without spring. I think if you have a mediocre GPA and the spring grades will bring it up, you should wait. Good luck, everyone! :luck:

derf,

yea, my brain says you're right, but i am two-scoops-of-fruit-loops apesh.t paranoid about this process. part of my problem is pretty ridiculous: right now, after nine quarters (even without this spring, i still have nine because i went last summer), i have a 4.0 gpa. all signs say that i won't after spring quarter. let me make this clear: I DON'T CARE ABOUT THAT! i just don't want to go to an interview in sept/oct/nov with an AMCAS transcript with a 4.0 and updates that speak otherwise (because i should eventually submit them no matter what, right?) and have some douchebag interviewer accuse me of "protecting" my record by not including my spring grades, or something insane like that.

my boss is an adcom member at the med school i work at. he told me that whenever he interviews someone with a 4.0, he has a specific set of questions he asks to see if the person is some OCD nutjob or disturbingly insecure/pompous/whatever. i just don't want any of that sh.t, you know?

forget it, i'm officially crazy! :smuggrin: :laugh: :eek: :( :confused: :love: :scared: :mad:

what kind of stuff did you put for this section?
just descriptions of the activity/award? OR did you guys tie it back to how it furthered your interest in medicine?

thanks a lot :)

superdevil said:
derf,

yea, my brain says you're right, but i am two-scoops-of-fruit-loops apesh.t paranoid about this process. part of my problem is pretty ridiculous: right now, after nine quarters (even without this spring, i still have nine because i went last summer), i have a 4.0 gpa. all signs say that i won't after spring quarter. let me make this clear: I DON'T CARE ABOUT THAT! i just don't want to go to an interview in sept/oct/nov with an AMCAS transcript with a 4.0 and updates that speak otherwise (because i should eventually submit them no matter what, right?) and have some douchebag interviewer accuse me of "protecting" my record by not including my spring grades, or something insane like that.

my boss is an adcom member at the med school i work at. he told me that whenever he interviews someone with a 4.0, he has a specific set of questions he asks to see if the person is some OCD nutjob or disturbingly insecure/pompous/whatever. i just don't want any of that sh.t, you know?

forget it, i'm officially crazy! :smuggrin: :laugh: :eek: :( :confused: :love: :scared: :mad:

your situation is definitely unique. I would still withhold this Spring if it ruins your perfect GPA. I see your delimma, but the potential benefits OUTWEIGH the scenario you mentioned. Most likely, you'll get accepted by med schools in early/late sept without them even caring about the spring, much less ask about them. However, if you want to include the spring to "humanize" yourself, that's totally up to you and your ECs that prove you're not "some OCD nutjob or disturbingly insecure/pompous/whatever."

jacksonchan85 said:
just descriptions of the activity/award? OR did you guys tie it back to how it furthered your interest in medicine?

I've heard a number of approaches, but I plan to give the details and save the personal (i.e., "this experience has served to increase my empathy for humanity") stuff for the PS.

Does anyone know where I can find the latest detailed application instructions/procedures for the AMCAS? Their website is all over the place and I have not been able to find these instructions. Thanks

ah, derf, you speak the truth...

yea, i guess the good seems to obscure the bad. i'm gonna ask around at school a little more to find a consensus on the matter, but it does look like i'll be submitting my transcript early...

jacksonchan85 said:

Well, I've only roughly filled out this part of the application, but I am aiming more toward description, especially with research and volunteering, so that I will have "new" things to say if it comes up in an interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have another (probably stupid) question about AMCAS. I just started entering my coursework, I know you are supposed to enter the course number exactly as it appears on the transcript, but what about the course name? I can't find anything specific about this in the instructions, does anybody know? Some of the course names on my transcript are heavily abbreviated, so it's not really clear what they were (example: "EUR INT HST" for "European Intellectual History"). I've been entering them as they are on the transcript, but I wonder if adcoms will be able to tell what classes I took when they see those names. Is it okay to un-abbreviate the course names as long as I put down the correct course number, or will this cause confusion during verification? Thanks again.

p.s. If anyone wants to tackle my transcript questions (They're on page 10 of this thread) I would appreciate it. Thank you to all the generous people taking the time to answer questions for us paranoid applicants. :p

Mistress S said:
I have another (probably stupid) question about AMCAS. I just started entering my coursework, I know you are supposed to enter the course number exactly as it appears on the transcript, but what about the course name? I can't find anything specific about this in the instructions, does anybody know? Some of the course names on my transcript are heavily abbreviated, so it's not really clear what they were (example: "EUR INT HST" for "European Intellectual History"). I've been entering them as they are on the transcript, but I wonder if adcoms will be able to tell what classes I took when they see those names. Is it okay to un-abbreviate the course names as long as I put down the correct course number, or will this cause confusion during verification? Thanks again.

p.s. If anyone wants to tackle my transcript questions (They're on page 10 of this thread) I would appreciate it. Thank you to all the generous people taking the time to answer questions for us paranoid applicants. :p

I have this question, too. I've been filling mine out both ways... I'm definitely going to go back and make it consistent, but I'm not sure which way to do it.

Mistress S said:

AMCAS told me to enter exactly as trancripts and avoiding UNabbreviating the courses. There are no restrictions to unabbreviating, but this revision "can delay" the verification and processing stages if applicant relations are having trouble locating courses. better safe than sorry

derf said:
I'm just like you. quarter system also. and have current/planned for spring/summer/fall. Why would it look bad? I'm not sure I understand the risk here. I just sent my transcript last week without spring grades b/c they will be available late june as you said. My spring grades I'm expecting are excellent, but why should i apply later while they're not even needed in the first place. TMDSAS is a different service and require your spring grades, but AMCAS does not, so what's the big deal. Schools wouldn't be "suspicious" about it cause they don't require it. If spring brings your GPA down a bit, then send your transcript in without the spring and list them as current. Some schools will ask for updates but *most* do not

Ok well I'm a little worried now cause I sent my transcript to AMCAS without spring grades, but our semester has been over for about a week now, and grades will be posted in the next couple of days. I am on a regular semester system, and I read a post earlier that said well maybe an adcom would look negatively upon my application in comparision to other people at my school that do show their grades. I am wondering if this is true. I think I may just send in an updated transcript to AMCAS after I get my spring grades, to save any conflict down the road, or do you think I should keep it up. I just dont want to be applying to SChool X, and other people from my undergrad applying to School X, and the adcoms wonder why I don't have my grades for spring posted on my transcript because we will definitely get our spring grades before june. Im expecting my overall gpa and science gpa to go drop by 0.05 for overall, and 0.09 for science so thats why I'm a little worried.

pbehzad said:
Ok well I'm a little worried now cause I sent my transcript to AMCAS without spring grades, but our semester has been over for about a week now, and grades will be posted in the next couple of days. I am on a regular semester system, and I read a post earlier that said well maybe an adcom would look negatively upon my application in comparision to other people at my school that do show their grades. I am wondering if this is true. I think I may just send in an updated transcript to AMCAS after I get my spring grades, to save any conflict down the road, or do you think I should keep it up. I just dont want to be applying to SChool X, and other people from my undergrad applying to School X, and the adcoms wonder why I don't have my grades for spring posted on my transcript because we will definitely get our spring grades before june. Im expecting my overall gpa and science gpa to go drop by 0.05 for overall, and 0.09 for science so thats why I'm a little worried.
those drops will not sway them in one direction or another if you have decent numbers. of course if your numbers are in the low 3.0 range then it might have more of a difference.

OK, I just want to make sure I have a few things straight even though these are probably dumb questions:

It doesn't matter when I start the app as long as it is FINISHED by June 1st? Nobody can submit the app officially until June...right? If so, why can't I find that date on the AAMC website?

The transcript request form can't be printed out until you finish the other sections, and you have to fill out the sections in order?

The personal statement is meant to be entered in single-spaced format? And you're supposed to use a line break to separate paragraph - no indentations?

Thanks for answering these ridiculous questions. I figure I better make sure I don't screw this up! :)

Pbehaz the difference is your GPA is not that much so I would go ahead and whenever you can just send the updated transcript to AMCAS..

To the above poster you cannot see the exact date of when AMCAS will actually let you hit the submit button because it can vary so do not worry about that, it could be in the beginning or middle of June.

Transcript request form can be printed out once you have filled out the prior sections BUT you can kind of fill it out (not completely) and access TRF and then go back and edit the previous sections...clear as mud? he he..

just wondering if any of you guys/gals have unusual grades on your transcript like i do. for example, i was in a thesis option master's program, so all my hours for research and thesis have a grade of "TD".
then i switched to non-thesis option (never pick a theoretical aerodynamicist for your advisor unless it's to do CFD) but had to do a special project for my degree. the grade for my special project shows up as "NR"

none of these hours are actually used to calculate my GPA from my school, but since you don't see your AMCAS GPA until after you submit it, i hope these don't show up as "F"s!!

i marked them all as "deferred grade" so they shouldn't be included in my AMCAS calculated GPA, but you never know.....

thread, rise!

ok, AMCAS wants us to put all classes for which we are registered but have not yet taken. do they need to "verify" these, also? i ask because my school's transcript (like most schools, i suspect) only lists courses completed and not future schedules--so should we just put down classes as we think they would appear on our transcripts as if we were finished?

Couple questions-
1)Can being Persian be considered Other Asian or should you put white, or what do people think? Would there be any benefit for putting "other Asian?"

2)For the extracurricular activities and experiences, if we are doing a summer reserach program this summer (from June to Aug.) do we just put those months of activity and that I will be doing it in the future? I really don't know much about the research I'll be doing yet, but I'm wondering how to explain it.

3)Should we just consider IB credit the same as AP? I figured yes, but just want to see if anyone had trouble with amcas verifying IB credit as being the same as AP since I got credit for some of my IB test.

4)Do you enter in your AP credits before you start entering in your actual classwork?

Thanks

In order to begin my AMCAS application and get a log in ID, I have to enter an address. But I am moving to a new state in June! Can I change this address later? I don't want to mess up my in state residency.

Help!

:)
u2ecila

Since you haven't gotten a log-in ID you wouldn't know this yet... but starting to fill out your AMCAS application doesn't mean that you start submitting info to any schools (or AMCAS for that matter) immediately. You get a chance to visit and re-visit the site as many times as you need to before "completing" your app and submitting your information in final form.

Additionally, while I've never tried it, you can change your basic info (including your address) AFTER you've submitted your application. But I don't have any idea how this impacts your state of residency determination.

Hope this helps and good luck!

:luck:

I'm an Engineer who wants to try declaring some engineering class as science (Fluid Mechanics -> Physics?). But if AMCAS disagrees, will my app be delayed? Thanks.

PublicEnemy said:
despite what that above letter said, i really think it is based on the title, because thats all they have to go on initially. they don't spend the time to research the content of an individual class for 1 single person, they make you do that and prove that to them if they disagree with you.

their rationale makes sense, but i think that letter from amcas is misleading. they're saying you can make your own judgement call, but they can and possibly will disagree with you at their discretion (based on the title, maybe some institutional history plays a role as well).

2) If there is room, I think that counts. Try to explain as much as possible (Will you get your own project?)

4) My transcript has APs under the first semester so I am entering it in there

pbehzad said:
Couple questions-
1)Can being Persian be considered Other Asian or should you put white, or what do people think? Would there be any benefit for putting "other Asian?"

2)For the extracurricular activities and experiences, if we are doing a summer reserach program this summer (from June to Aug.) do we just put those months of activity and that I will be doing it in the future? I really don't know much about the research I'll be doing yet, but I'm wondering how to explain it.

3)Should we just consider IB credit the same as AP? I figured yes, but just want to see if anyone had trouble with amcas verifying IB credit as being the same as AP since I got credit for some of my IB test.

4)Do you enter in your AP credits before you start entering in your actual classwork?

Thanks

microTAS said:
I'm an Engineer who wants to try declaring some engineering class as science (Fluid Mechanics -> Physics?). But if AMCAS disagrees, will my app be delayed? Thanks.

If AMCAS disgaress with your designations, initially it shouldn't cause a delay. your app should finish being reviewed at the same time, and you will see the changes they've made. its at that point its possible to petition their changes, but if you wanted to do that thats what definitely causes the delays.

fyi, this has been posted before, but i asked amcas about classifying fluids, statics and dynamics classes as physics instead of engineering, along with math classes taught by the engineering department. here is their answer (i've seen this one before, so it's a standard response).

however, i tend to agree with PE in the last post: i don't think them changing your classification will "delay" the application, at least not much, however petitioning to challenge that change will. anyway, here's my question and their response:

------------

First, I have 2 math classes that were taught by the engineering department and have an engineering designation in the course title. Can I classify these as Math classes, or will that likely cause delays and therefore I should classify them as engineering?

Second, I took classes in statics and dynamics which were taught by the
engineering department, but these are really the same subject matter as
physics. Can I classify these as Physics even though the course title
designated engineering? I ask this question because Thermodynamics is
listed under Chemistry in the AMCAS handbook. My Thermodynamics class also has an engineering designation and was taught by the engineering department, therefore I think that is a similar situation.

-------------

Thank you for contacting AMCAS.

The designation of BCPM/A codes depends upon the content of the course, not the course title or department. For example, some psychology courses study the chemistry of the brain. These courses can be designated as chemistry courses, even though they are taught by the Psychology Department. There are many cases where you may be unsure, such as biochemistry and engineering courses. These will be a judgement call on your part.

If you are really having trouble deciding, then we suggest that you contact the professor of the course and ask his/her opinion.

Apologies if this was already addressed...
Stupid ? #1: Does the character limit for the PS (ie 5,300) include spaces?
Thanks guys :oops:)

yes cpb80 you need to count spaces

I took a couple Speech Path. and Aud. classes, one being Public Speaking, the other Communication Disorders. Anyone know what classifications these should be listed under? Thanks so much!

I apologize if either of these have already been addressed...sorry, I'm feeling lazy (it is Friday, cut me some slack).

1) I am still unsure about what adcoms are looking for in the EC summaries. What kinds of things are you all writing for them? Like what an organization does and your personal role? Or just your role? For example, I was involved in a number of organization and held offices in them that are not really self-explainatory. Just wondering how you guys were approaching them.

2) Anyone else taking an atypical approach to your personal statement? Not basing it on any of the more common topics (like research, or clinical experience)? Because my idea and approach is kind of unique, but I am concerned it might be too off-base as a result.

The personal statement is not going to get you accepted. However, it can get you rejected.

Thus, taking the PS in a different direction isn't necessarily a good idea.

Often, it isn't given much weight until 15 minutes before your interview, when the interviewer reads it to figure out what they're going to ask you.

2) Unique idea may sound good depending how much you can relate it to going into medicine and how persuasive it is. Unique format might not be a good idea. I would read some other submitted essays to get a feel for the boundaries before you start trying new approaches or formats.

Wahooali said:
I apologize if either of these have already been addressed...sorry, I'm feeling lazy (it is Friday, cut me some slack).

1) I am still unsure about what adcoms are looking for in the EC summaries. What kinds of things are you all writing for them? Like what an organization does and your personal role? Or just your role? For example, I was involved in a number of organization and held offices in them that are not really self-explainatory. Just wondering how you guys were approaching them.

2) Anyone else taking an atypical approach to your personal statement? Not basing it on any of the more common topics (like research, or clinical experience)? Because my idea and approach is kind of unique, but I am concerned it might be too off-base as a result.

Wahooali said:

I agree with the other guy. I've heard from many places that you should try not to be "cute" or too creative in your PS. You never know how an adcom is going to perceive your writing. I would just get to the point--nice short and sweet! :thumbup:

txguy said:
I agree with the other guy. I've heard from many places that you should try not to be "cute" or too creative in your PS. You never know how an adcom is going to perceive your writing. I would just get to the point--nice short and sweet! :thumbup:
creative isnt bad. you dont want to be bland now do you? but then again, if you genuinely explain your passion for medicine then its all good, cause most everyone's reason for entering medicine is special.

Making your PS a poem, song, or emulating famous literature is a bad, bad idea.

UseUrHeadFred said:
Often, it isn't given much weight until 15 minutes before your interview, when the interviewer reads it to figure out what they're going to ask you.

Are you speculating or have you been on an admissions comittee?

How and when do I find out the calculated amcas gpa? Thanks!

Once you submit the application and AMCAS does their verification, your calculated GPA will be listed.

Still don't have an answer for this one, so I'll try again.
I took a couple Speech Path. and Aud. classes, one being Public Speaking, the other Communication Disorders. Anyone know what classifications these should be listed under? Thanks so much!

Ok if I took some community college courses during the summer b/w my freshman and sophomore year fulfill some general requirements, and they transferred to my school, do I need to put those down as coursework done at my school since it shows up as transferred credit or do I just need to show the community college classes in the coursework done for the community college? Thanks.

^ You need to put it under your community college as a summer school only. You only put in transfer credit under a college if it was AP credit.

^^ MG MD, I'm not sure, you're better off contacting the AMCAS for more details. I would assume Health Sciences.

max limit being 510 characters, what should I put in my description.
What if I am able to explain the exp. in around 300-350 characters.
Is it okay or too little?

Premedtomed said:
max limit being 510 characters, what should I put in my description.
What if I am able to explain the exp. in around 300-350 characters.
Is it okay or too little?
dont worry about it. if you can effectively state what you want in that many then thats fine. most people cant do that.

I took Spanish I and there was a language lab component, should I put class and lab on it, or just leave it as class only? On my transcript it just shows up as Spanish I and does not mention anything about a language lab.

Thanks

pbehzad said:
I took Spanish I and there was a language lab component, should I put class and lab on it, or just leave it as class only? On my transcript it just shows up as Spanish I and does not mention anything about a language lab.

Thanks

At my school that's just called a recitation. I'm pretty sure that the AMCAS lab designation is only for science courses.

Two questions:
1) In the print mode for the AMCAS app it has a heading called "Post-Secondary Education Finance" and under that has entries for "Academic Scholarship," "Need-based Scholarship," and so on; all of these are listed as 0% for me and I cannot find where to enter these values. I'm probably just blind, but can someone tell me where to enter this info?

2) Freshman year I volunteered at the same hospital I volunteered at during high school; since the experiences section is labeled as post-secondary should I make the start date when I started freshman year (and make a note in the description that I had done this for several years previously) or should I make the start date when I started volunteering in high school?

Thanks!