AMCAS : All Questions Here

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
PreMedAdAG said:
1.When should I request my transcripts to be sent to AMCAS??

2. There are spots for "artistic endeavours" and for "hobbies" in the post-secondary experience section. Is it a good idea to do this? I would love to talk about what I do outside of the classroom and work, but I don't have a contact person, or whatever. I do artistic freelance work for groups on campus but never get paid and don't really have the contact information, because I AM the contact. Any advice? Should I just stick to the basics and be ready to talk about these other hobbies and things until secondary or interview time?

3. Can I group things together on post-secondary experiences. For example, I played intercollegiate soccer, which I put down, but I also acted as a student-athlete volunteer for three volunteer programs. My head coach is the contact, so does it look bad if her name is down a couple of times as the contact person? I'm also wondering if I can group the three events together and just describe each one in the description section?

4. I did an EMT certification program at a community college, but didn't receive any credit for it, just a pass no pass situation and then got certified. Should I put this on my coursework and should I submit the transcript to AMCAS??/

Thanks so much for the help!

--Christine

1. Send your transcripts to AMCAS, NOW! Just go to the 'transcript request' section of the AMCAS. The form you need to send your registrar is there. The sooner AMCAS gets them, the sooner they will verify your application. You will be notified by email once AMCAS receives each transcript.

2. I have the same question about hobbies and such. If someone can enlighten us on this, that would be great.

3. It depends on whether or not you consider them multiple activities. I don't think intercollegaite soccer and student-athlete volunteerism is the same thing. My personal opinion, if the coach is the contact person for all of these, all the marrier -- more weight would be given to this person's recommendation, if she is writing one. I also don't think AdComs would look down on someone who has a single person for multiple activities.

4. (Pass / No Pass) grading seems as though you might have received credit for the EMT course. Most community colleges would give you credit for the courses, even if you only enrolled in the EMT Cert. program. It's best to check with the community college. If you did receive credit for it (or if the community college has a record of you in the program), you MUST inform AMCAS. If you did not receive credit for it, then only a listing in your extra-curriculars in necessary. BTW, what community college did you do your EMT program at?

Jason

Members don't see this ad.

if i did research 2 different summers in 2 very different laboratories / projects, should this be listed as 1 or 2 of my post-secondary experiences?

Members don't see this ad :)
brats800 said:
if i did research 2 different summers in 2 very different laboratories / projects, should this be listed as 1 or 2 of my post-secondary experiences?

Definitely list them as two separate experiences.

Jason

Im confused. So are we sending our transcripts directly to AMCAS or to each individual school?

latinfridley said:
Im confused. So are we sending our transcripts directly to AMCAS or to each individual school?

To AMCAS. AMCAS has forms that you print out, you submit their form along with each particular schools transcript request to every school you've attended. They must attach the AMCAS form to your transcript upon sending it in. Once received, AMCAS sends you an E-mail confirming receipt. All of your transcripts must be received before your application can be verified and sent to Med Schools.

This might have already been asked, but if you are taking summer school, should you wait to send in your transcript from that school until after finishing one or two sessions?

In the post secondary experiences section, when I shadowed a Dr. in the ER, what do I put my title as??

Is June 1st the earliest you can submit AMCAS? Thanks.

Also, AMCAS told me that I should be able to see which transcripts have been received on the Welcome page of my AMCAS application...but I don't see that info anywhere... Is this only after you have submitted AMCAS? Thanks

MG Md 2B said:
In the post secondary experiences section, when I shadowed a Dr. in the ER, what do I put my title as??

I listed myself as "Volunteer" for those. You might want to choose the word "Observer" but that sounded too UN-Looking-For-WMD-Hans-Blickish to me. :D

So, here's my question... I just got my spring semester grades... a frickin C MINUS in physics II. GD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Probably lucky though, i think i failed the final, i should be thanking my stars it's not a D). So, here's the question... am i **required** to take that class over??? Am i required to get a C or better????? or can i just take my C- and run (that's what i'm inclined to do... i haven't gotten a C in a science in 12 years),

Anyone have the official word on this??

Also, the AMCAS instruction sheet says that for coursework you should list any classes currently enrolled or expected to be enrolled in prior to medical school. What the heck does that mean? I mean, do I put in my expected Fall '04 classes, or even the classes I intend to schedule for Spring '05?

CoverMe said:
I listed myself as "Volunteer" for those. You might want to choose the word "Observer" but that sounded too UN-Looking-For-WMD-Hans-Blickish to me. :D

So, here's my question... I just got my spring semester grades... a frickin C MINUS in physics II. GD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Probably lucky though, i think i failed the final, i should be thanking my stars it's not a D). So, here's the question... am i **required** to take that class over??? Am i required to get a C or better????? or can i just take my C- and run (that's what i'm inclined to do... i haven't gotten a C in a science in 12 years),

Anyone have the official word on this??

Now that you've begun the application process, proceed with your application. This 'blip' on the radar (your first C in college) will be noticed, but not the basis for rejection at most schools. I know of students who have gotten a C here or there and it was not even mentioned at the interviews. With that said, however, there are a few schools who do screen based on these grades and will not accept anything lower than a 'C'. As a result, it might be an uphill battle. You will be well along the application path by the time you do have the opportunity to retake it. My advice is not the retake it and move on. To fully make a judgement, I need to see your other credentials (namely, GPA, MCAT).

Jason

vhawk01 said:
Also, the AMCAS instruction sheet says that for coursework you should list any classes currently enrolled or expected to be enrolled in prior to medical school. What the heck does that mean? I mean, do I put in my expected Fall '04 classes, or even the classes I intend to schedule for Spring '05?

Yes. Both. Only put down classes, however, that you know for sure you are taking. If you are not sure whether or not you'll be taking them, you're better off not putting them down. This way, medschools won't be surprised when you send them updated transcripts.

Jason

Members don't see this ad :)
Jason110 said:
Now that you've begun the application process, proceed with your application. This 'blip' on the radar (your first C in college) will be noticed, but not the basis for rejection at most schools. I know of students who have gotten a C here or there and it was not even mentioned at the interviews. With that said, however, there are a few schools who do screen based on these grades and will not accept anything lower than a 'C'. As a result, it might be an uphill battle. You will be well along the application path by the time you do have the opportunity to retake it. My advice is not the retake it and move on. To fully make a judgement, I need to see your other credentials (namely, GPA, MCAT).

Jason

Thanks Jason. No idea what my MCAT is, still waiting for numbers. GPA in the past 5 years has been 3.4 - 3.6 ish. However, including the grades from 12 years ago, my bcpm is like 3.15 (not quite positive, maybe a tad higher, but not much). It's not my overall GPA or even BCPM that i'm worried about... i've got over 260 units and one class isn't going to move it a whole helluva lot.

I'm just wondering if there's a set in stone "C or better" requirement on the prereqs. If not, i'm not retaking that class. The rest of my app is fully stellar, LORS are huge and volunteer and other experiences are involved and unique.

Just looking for the link or information regarding grade requirements on the prereqs, if anyone knows where i can specifically find that info... i have been unable to find it.

UseUrHeadFred said:
To AMCAS. AMCAS has forms that you print out, you submit their form along with each particular schools transcript request to every school you've attended. They must attach the AMCAS form to your transcript upon sending it in. Once received, AMCAS sends you an E-mail confirming receipt. All of your transcripts must be received before your application can be verified and sent to Med Schools.

So if im applying to 6 AMCAS schools, then i would send 6 transcripts + 6 transcript request forms directly to AMCAS? and then AMCAS sends the schools the transcripts?

UseUrHeadFred said:

Are you sure they contact you and let you know they received them? I'm having major transcript issues. :( Just found out today that my schools never received the request. Cool, huh? UGH!!!!!!

latinfridley said:
So if im applying to 6 AMCAS schools, then i would send 6 transcripts + 6 transcript request forms directly to AMCAS? and then AMCAS sends the schools the transcripts?

I think the poster meant that you need to send in transcrips from each of the schools you attended. NOT that you need to send a transcript in for each med school you're applying to... Therefore if you've only taken classes at your undergrad institution, then you only need to send one transcript in. But someone correct me if i'm wrong...

CoverMe said:
Thanks Jason. No idea what my MCAT is, still waiting for numbers. GPA in the past 5 years has been 3.4 - 3.6 ish. However, including the grades from 12 years ago, my bcpm is like 3.15 (not quite positive, maybe a tad higher, but not much). It's not my overall GPA or even BCPM that i'm worried about... i've got over 260 units and one class isn't going to move it a whole helluva lot.

I'm just wondering if there's a set in stone "C or better" requirement on the prereqs. If not, i'm not retaking that class. The rest of my app is fully stellar, LORS are huge and volunteer and other experiences are involved and unique.

Just looking for the link or information regarding grade requirements on the prereqs, if anyone knows where i can specifically find that info... i have been unable to find it.

Most schools require a minimum grade of C or 2.0 in the pre-requisites. You will likely need to retake the course

danimastani said:
Hey guys, looking at you, I am wayy behind. I am planning to start AMCAS now; how long did it take you guys on average? I was also wondering that I may qualify for FAP but I want to submit my app on June 1; How long does it take for the FAP processing?

You will probably get an email regarding you FAP within 24 hourse of submitting it. My FAP results were almost immediate.

tinkerbelle said:
I think the poster meant that you need to send in transcrips from each of the schools you attended. NOT that you need to send a transcript in for each med school you're applying to... Therefore if you've only taken classes at your undergrad institution, then you only need to send one transcript in. But someone correct me if i'm wrong...

Okeydoke... we're all confused on the question, and answering what we think was asked... time for the OP to clarify.

I just finished my transcript requests this weekend, it was a full-on pain in the a$$ but i'll tell ya what i did.

First, i went to amcas and printed out request forms for all the schools i'd entered as institutions i've taken classes from (there are 7 of them).

Then I went to the AACOMAS website and got the info for THEIR transcript requests (they don't have a form, they just want the 'scripts sent to 5550 Friendship blvd etc etc).

THEN i went to each of those individual school's websites and got their information regarding transcript requests... most have a form. (some were internet requests only, so AMCAS isn't going to get their special forms with those, nothing i can do about it).

I filled everything out, requesting a copy for AMCAS and AACOMAS, wrote the check, folded the papers, and then stuck the check to the front of the papers using a sticky note. On the sticky i reminded them that besides the SCHOOLS' form, there is a special form included that needs to be sent ONLY to AMCAS.

just need to put stamps on it and ship them off... which is what i'm doing right now!

Jason110 said:

Jason

So, a C- still counts as a 'C'. I have one C-, it is in Organic Chemistry II Lab. I am worried that could hurt, if they will not accept that pre-req since it is a C- rather than a C or better. Do not want to retake since it is the second part of the course and it is lab. Anyone know or think they know if is will still count.

Wahooali said:
So, a C- still counts as a 'C'. I have one C-, it is in Organic Chemistry II Lab. I am worried that could hurt, if they will not accept that pre-req since it is a C- rather than a C or better. Do not want to retake since it is the second part of the course and it is lab. Anyone know or think they know if is will still count.

Yeah... we're in the same boat. i think that minus sign means were screwed, blued and tattooed to retake the friggin course. since a C- isn't a 2.0 it's a 1.85 or whatever.

frick.

Wahooali said:

As I said before, you will probably have to retake it. Most med schools require a grade of C (2.0) or better, and a C- is not counted as a C. Sorry for the bad news, but you made it this far, so don't let it get you down. just retake it and rock it!

Guys-
One transcript will go to AMCAS. They will then verify that the information that we entered for coursework is correct, and they'll do an AMCAS GPA for us. We will send nothing to the individual medical schools unless requested to do so by the schools.
AMCAS will send an email letting you know that they've gotten the transcript. I have received two of my three ( :cool: ) already.
I also had an online request form for one of the schools that I attended; I still sent them an AMCAS form via snail mail, so that they could send that with the official transcript; someone mentioned that AMCAS "isn't going to get their special form", and I'm a bit worried that AMCAS "isn't going to process my special application" if the form doesn't arrive.
Best wishes.

dc

medic170 said:
As I said before, you will probably have to retake it. Most med schools require a grade of C (2.0) or better, and a C- is not counted as a C. Sorry for the bad news, but you made it this far, so don't let it get you down. just retake it and rock it!

But it is LAB, not the main course, and I would need to retake the main course with the lab or else I will fail it again. So basically I'm screwed. I'm seriously never going to get into medical school. And my school messed up my transcript stuff and never sent them to AMCAS. I am just having a really sh**ty day.

I was stupid my freshman year and didn't know about getting Incompletes. I decided to quit Organic after getting behind and got an F, I knew I'd retake it. Got an A+ second time around.

My school doesn't count the F when figuring the gpa. Does AMCAS still factor in the F for the science GPA? (that is 0 points for 4 hours?)

I started attending college in 1989 and have been to 5 different colleges because I have moved to a different state 3 different times. I will graduate with about 150 credits in May of 2006 because of the requirements of my major and college I am attending.

According to AMCAS I should mark all of my classes after 91 credits as (SR). Will the AMCAS group all of my (SR) classes together or does it show it as a fourth year and fifth year seperately?

I'm curious about this because I am wondering what my trends in GPA will look like when adcom looks at it. Thanks!!

DemonDeacon said:
I was stupid my freshman year and didn't know about getting Incompletes. I decided to quit Organic after getting behind and got an F, I knew I'd retake it. Got an A+ second time around.

My school doesn't count the F when figuring the gpa. Does AMCAS still factor in the F for the science GPA? (that is 0 points for 4 hours?)

yes, they do.

Wahooali said:
But it is LAB, not the main course, and I would need to retake the main course with the lab or else I will fail it again. So basically I'm screwed. I'm seriously never going to get into medical school. And my school messed up my transcript stuff and never sent them to AMCAS. I am just having a really sh**ty day.

The lab is part of the prerequisite, hence, you have to have a C or 2.0 in the lab. As for never getting in to medical school, this is not the end of your quest. just retake the lab, and the course if necessary. Does it hurt? yes/ Does it mean your not going to get in to medical school? Of course not, but you need to change that negative attitude. I know, easier said than done, but believe me, you are far from defeated unless you choose to be. I may not be in med school yet, but I believe this admissions game is 60% attitude. Good luck, and get an A in your repeat.

It will group all of them as senior unless you have already received a baccalaureate degree and they would therefore be classified as post-bac undergrad or you took them as part of a graduate program and they would be classified as graduate. When I applied last year I had a lot of credits in the senior section on my AMCAS because I came in with a lot of AP credits and I stayed around for 5 years. I had 182 total undergrad credits with 73 of them as a senior if that tells you anything. I also had 33 graduate credits.

I think this question has been brought up multiple times in this thread but not really answered.

What're peoples thoughts on listing hobbies/extracurriculars that aren't medically related at all? For example, intramural sports, arts, performances etc?

I'd like to list a couple things like that because I think they'll help get across a fuller picture of who I am, and explain what sorts of things I did with my time in college. On the other hand, I don't want to make it hard
for the adcoms to look at my application and see the more serious endeavors I've undertaken.

I'd put in all those ECs/Hobbies that show what a well rounded person you are. Sports show you have other talents and interests, as well as the fact that you can work within a structure and team setting; the same can be said for arts/performing arts. My job (occupational therapist) is the only medically related thing I listed - the rest of the things are non-medical.
Good luck!

dc

just to restate what some have already said: if you have non-medical EC's, or just plain silly EC's.....LIST THEM ANYWAY!

from those "in the know" that i've talked to, medical schools know how difficult their cirriculum(sp?) is, and how demanding med school life is in general. therefore, they want to know that you have time management skills. even if you taught quilt-making seminars for 20 hrs/wk during school (you are a lame person if you are giving an affirming nod, here), it shows med schools that you can handle having a full plate while still being academically prosperous.

take-home message: if you put a lot of time into anything that is legal and at least *somewhat* constructive, put it on your app.

sd

superdevil said:
even if you taught quilt-making seminars for 20 hrs/wk during school (you are a lame person if you are giving an affirming nod, here), it shows med schools that you can handle having a full plate while still being academically prosperous.
sd

Hey! My quilts are very beautiful and I was thinking of submitting a small quilt (featuring each school's seal) along with each of my secondaries! :laugh:

CaMD,

if that works, let me know. i'm not above learning to make quilts for a med school spot! hell, i'll knit them friggin' sweaters and pajamas, too. :D

Does anyone know if it's okay for me to list a psych course "cognitive development" as a bcpm? We learned a lot about neuro development and stuff.

If I list that course as bcpm, and submit the application and the transcript, will it take me more time to get varified if amcas does not agree and want me to change it? Should I just not list this course as bcpm, for fear that my application may be delayed? :confused:

1. I took an EMT course at a community college and I am a Licenced EMT, am i required to send the record from the community college ( There is no transcript, since it is only Pass/FAIL?)

2. I am currently working on my ps, and i 've found that I am mostly reflecting on my experiences ( clinical work & Research ) to show the compassion needed in medicine. can one over do the whole compassion story?

3. how much less than 5300 characters can you write and still have a decent ps?

banannamilk said:
Does anyone know if it's okay for me to list a psych course "cognitive development" as a bcpm? We learned a lot about neuro development and stuff.

If I list that course as bcpm, and submit the application and the transcript, will it take me more time to get varified if amcas does not agree and want me to change it? Should I just not list this course as bcpm, for fear that my application may be delayed? :confused:

Categorize it however you think it should be based on the subject matter.

My understanding is that if AMCAS disagrees, they'll just change it, so it doesn't sound like there would be much (if any) delay.

DrOwen said:
3. how much less than 5300 characters can you write and still have a decent ps?

I've seen PSes from people who were admitted that were 1000-2000 characters. Whether this is advisable, I have no idea. I doubt adcoms are concerned with length as long as you get your message across.

hey guys,

what should i do if the only option my school provides for transcript requests is ELECTRONICALLY sending the transcript to whatever destination...how am i supposed to include the AMCAS transcript request form?

thanks a lot

I have shadowed several different doctors. (Ortho940hrs for one week), Ortho/Onco(50hrs for one week), Anth(20hrs one week), OBGYN(20hrs for one week)) Should I list each experience seperately? Or should I just lump it into one big event?

Also, is listing anything related to dentistry a bad thing to do?

Show them you are human.

They have your grades. They know you are interested and commited. Write something (app) or say something (interview) that is thought provoking and personal, and has nothing to do with "medicine" directly.

They want to know you are genuinely interested in people.

They need to know you are responsible.

Otherwise, they need to hear something that sets you apart from everyone else. Something that says you are more than obsessed and neurotic.

Im a medicine resident in Seattle currently. Its a long road, and if "being a doctor" is all you have, all you are right now - you will be bitter, and bitterly dissappointed at the end. Live it up yo.

DrOwen said:
2. I am currently working on my ps, and i 've found that I am mostly reflecting on my experiences ( clinical work & Research ) to show the compassion needed in medicine. can one over do the whole compassion story?

While it is definitely key to convey your compassion, make sure your compassion is also tempered with the idea that you do understand the reality of medicine (business side, the candor you will need to have with patients regarding some tricky issues [drug abuse, end of life issues, weird sexual habits], ethical/moral issues, malpractice, turf wars, etc). You don't have to state or list these things, but at the same time, you don't want your compassion extending to some la-la idealistic save all of mankind land. Which I'm sure most of you realize ;)!

Lux

From where I came, we had two terms each year: fall and spring each. My first undergraduate term is 1996 fall and second term is 1997 spring. My question is:

1. what type of term should I choose?

I don't feel my undergraduate school falls into any of the term type. Right now I am using semester though semester means three terms each year with a summer semester.

2. I put 1996(first semester fall) as my first term and 1997(second sememster spring) as my second term. I found the software automatically change my second term to be 1996(second semester spring) rather than 1997(second semester spring). Does this make sense?

Thanks so much

Hi Roam_dtpi:

I am in the same boat. I also only requested transcript from graudate school in USA. I feel we are at disadvantage since if AMCAS don't verify international transcripts, our undergraduate grades would be less credible to schools no matter how good our grades are.

lifeisbeautiful

raom_dtpi said:
Hi,

I have an undergrad from outside of the US. I called AMCAS regarding my transcripts and I was told that AMCAS no longer checks international transcripts. So, I was told to check the transcript verification waiver box. If schools needed to see my transcripts, they would ask me to submit them later. So, I just requested my transcripts for grad school in the US.

Well, I just want to confirm that this is true. It concerns me that schools can't verify my undergrad course work. Is any one else in the same situation?

Thanks!

Scout

Sorry if this has been asked or addressed already...

Is there a definitive list of which schools are NOT AMCAS? I was reading a Medical/Dental school informational book, and U of Rochester, Baylor, and Johns Hopkins were listed as non-AMCAS. Then why the hell are they listed among the schools to choose from in the AMCAS site?

Anyone have a link that I can be directed to?

Thanks in advance!

dc

jacksonchan85 said:
hey guys,

what should i do if the only option my school provides for transcript requests is ELECTRONICALLY sending the transcript to whatever destination...how am i supposed to include the AMCAS transcript request form?

thanks a lot

There are still places in the world that cannot accept electronic transcripts. Therefore, your school must offer to send your transcripts by snail mail, for a small fee of course.

Is there anyway to "skip" ahead to get to the later sections? I haven't finished my PS yet, but I would like to send the forms to my schools to have the transcripts verified. But I can't seem to get to that part without filling out the other information....

bigdan said:
Sorry if this has been asked or addressed already...

Is there a definitive list of which schools are NOT AMCAS? I was reading a Medical/Dental school informational book, and U of Rochester, Baylor, and Johns Hopkins were listed as non-AMCAS. Then why the hell are they listed among the schools to choose from in the AMCAS site?

Anyone have a link that I can be directed to?

Thanks in advance!

dc

You are probably reading an old version of a book. CURRENTLY, Hopkins, Baylor, and U of Rochester ARE AMCAS schools... as are NYU and Columbia.... they hopped on the band wagon this year...

Good luck to you, buddy!!