AMCAS Hours Understatement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amylovee19

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
While filling out one of my last secondaries, I just realized that I miscalculated my number of research hours as 625 when it should be over 1000 for four years. Will this affect my application? What are my options considering I'm already complete at all the schools I'm applying to and likely under review?

Members don't see this ad.

R.E.L.A.X.

it doesnt matter

Here is the definitive answer: nobody knows as each school and each adcom member may look at this differently.

Now you can send a VERY SHORT (1-3 sentences) email to the schools and ask to have this corrected. Do not try to to explain why you made the error as either you will look like an idiot or careless or rushing, which you were all three.

"I belatedly noticed an incorrect number of hours for my activity of ACTIVITY NAME, due to an oversight on my part. It should read NUMBER of hours. Thank you very much for correcting this .

Sincerely
NAME
AMCAS ID

Do you think sending the email will do more harm than good? Will adcoms view it as an annoyance to change a detail on my file or negative testament of my characteristics for miscalculating the hours?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you think sending the email will do more harm than good? Will adcoms view it as an annoyance to change a detail on my file or negative testament of my characteristics for miscalculating the hours?
Unless you are a good candidate for highly-selective research-oriented schools, there is no reason to send the update.

If you are a competitive candidate for top schools, your chances might be better if they have the full picture, but that increased edge might be countered by a negative perception of a careless error. I'd suggest choosing to give them the full picture and hope they don't misjudge you.

Unless you are a good candidate for highly-selective research-oriented schools, there is no reason to send the update.

If you are a competitive candidate for top schools, your chances might be better if they have the full picture, but that increased edge might be countered by a negative perception of a careless error. I'd suggest choosing to give them the full picture and hope they don't misjudge you.

Hmm okay thank you. I would consider myself a competitive applicant, do you think it's too late to send the correction since I submitted most of my secondaries mid-July?