This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
In my junior year of college*, I got an email saying that I violated copyright laws. While it was somewhat of a false charge, I had to accept it and I was told the following:
"Although possessing and/or sharing unlicensed copyrighted material is prohibited by UMBC's Code of Student Conduct, because this is your first allegation, Student Conduct and Community Standards has concluded that if verified, this matter should not result in a disciplinary sanction which attaches to your University record and is accessible by future employers and graduate schools."

Based on this statement, should I report this or not? I know that AMCAS says to report anything regardless, but should I call my university and make sure nothing is on my record? Because if it's not, then I think it's best to not mention it at all.

*I am currently a senior applying this cycle.

Members don't see this ad.

From what I understand, no. Because they didn’t enact any disciplinary sanctions or any action besides an email, there doesn’t seem to be an institutional action.

Reactions: 1 user
From what I understand, no. Because they didn’t enact any disciplinary sanctions or any action besides an email, there doesn’t seem to be an institutional action.
So technically they told me to “give” a presentation to my friends about copyright laws and wanted me to pay a fine (never actually got it on my account for me to pay it) in order to prevent future violations that would go on my record.

When I tried to follow up with them and tell them that I got signatures showing that I did the presentation and that I did NOT get the bill to pay the fine, they didn’t care nor reply back to me.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Did you see my reply to neuroscifan?
Yeah. It still isn't clear to me that this is anything that was official.

The easiest answer is always that if you're in doubt you can just report it and explain what happened. But this seems like the equivalent of them saying "don't do it again."

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah. It still isn't clear to me that this is anything that was official.

The easiest answer is always that if you're in doubt you can just report it and explain what happened. But this seems like the equivalent of them saying "don't do it again."
I’ll check with my school to make sure it’s not “official,” and if it isn’t then I won’t report it.

Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.