amcas verification..wait for mcat score?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kateycat

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i might be reapplying (i'm on a few waitlists right now) and in the case i do need to reapply, my mcat is what needs the most improvement (29). i also applied late this year, which i plan on fixing if i have to go through this again.

That said, how long does it take to get your amcas verified if you submit it ASAP (like the beginning of june/first possible date)? i'm not sure when's the best time to take the mcat. i was planning on may 11 or may 16, but it's at a bad time in the academic quarter with a lot going on, and obviously i need to do much better this time. i worry i might not be as prepared as i want to be, and i think the amcas processing is what takes the longest amount of time anyway.

does my new mcat score need to be in BEFORE amcas processing? or can i retake it while i'm waiting for it to be processed and quickly add the new score when i get it? should i put off taking the mcat until june or just stop freaking out and take it in may?

also i read somewhere about advice for reapplying.. something about only putting one school down just to get the primary verified and then adding more schools later (to save money in the case you get in off a waitlist), but i couldn't find that thread... any advice would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

i might be reapplying (i'm on a few waitlists right now) and in the case i do need to reapply, my mcat is what needs the most improvement (29). i also applied late this year, which i plan on fixing if i have to go through this again.

That said, how long does it take to get your amcas verified if you submit it ASAP (like the beginning of june/first possible date)? i'm not sure when's the best time to take the mcat. i was planning on may 11 or may 16, but it's at a bad time in the academic quarter with a lot going on, and obviously i need to do much better this time. i worry i might not be as prepared as i want to be, and i think the amcas processing is what takes the longest amount of time anyway.

does my new mcat score need to be in BEFORE amcas processing? or can i retake it while i'm waiting for it to be processed and quickly add the new score when i get it? should i put off taking the mcat until june or just stop freaking out and take it in may?

also i read somewhere about advice for reapplying.. something about only putting one school down just to get the primary verified and then adding more schools later (to save money in the case you get in off a waitlist), but i couldn't find that thread... any advice would be appreciated.

If you apply early or late, the AAMC processing time is pretty good - a couple weeks. If you apply when everyone else is applying, it can take forever. I say you process your AAMC app with one school. Your MCAT automatically inserts itself in your app after it's graded. You can add schools later too.

If you apply early or late, the AAMC processing time is pretty good - a couple weeks. If you apply when everyone else is applying, it can take forever. I say you process your AAMC app with one school. Your MCAT automatically inserts itself in your app after it's graded. You can add schools later too.

This is excellent advice.

To echo it.

Get your transcripts in early. Start ordering them soon. Submit AMCAS on June 1 with ONLY 1 SCHOOL, it will process just as fast and if you get off the waitlist you're only out $160. Your MCAT will take care of itself, don't worry about this.

Once your AMCAS is verified, add other schools, it will be updated to the other schools the next time they download the applicaitons and you will not have to be re-verified through AMCAS.

Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
OP, I had the same question about reapplying. Thanks for asking and thanks to the two responders for answering.

As soon as your scores come in and as long as you are satisfied with them.

i actually have a similar question. I have never applied before however..and I took the mcat once and did quite poorly (24). I am retaking my mcat on may 31..so i will not get my scores until june 31..so earliest i can send in my application after getting my score is probably july 1st. My question is could i still send in the amcas application in june and just wait for my score, or will i already be pre-screened. I am just scared that if i send it in earlier, i might be pre-screened out of some schools. Your help is appreciated. Thanks.

i actually have a similar question. I have never applied before however..and I took the mcat once and did quite poorly (24). I am retaking my mcat on may 31..so i will not get my scores until june 31..so earliest i can send in my application after getting my score is probably july 1st. My question is could i still send in the amcas application in june and just wait for my score, or will i already be pre-screened. I am just scared that if i send it in earlier, i might be pre-screened out of some schools. Your help is appreciated. Thanks.

I think there is a box you can check off on the AMCAS app that you are taking a later MCAT and you want schools to wait to look at your application until the update score comes in. So you can get your AMCAS verified and stuff before you take the MCAT, but you may or may not receive secondaries from schools until your updated scores come in.

can you send out transcript requests already?

Hey
Why would you only tick off 1 school? can't you put them all when you apply in june? I am also taking the mcat in may, and won't get the answers until june, and hence my application will be in.

my mcat is what needs the most improvement (29).

I don't mean to be a Downer Debbie, but a 29 isn't too bad of a score. Do you think it may be beneficial to fix some other holes in your application? Everyone always says not to reapply with the same application. To me, changing your MCAT by a few points is not really changing your application.

I realize that wasn't your question, my apologies. I just wanted to make sure you are considering that.

Hey
Why would you only tick off 1 school? can't you put them all when you apply in june? I am also taking the mcat in may, and won't get the answers until june, and hence my application will be in.

Money. He is on the waitlist, if he gets off, he is only down the $160 he deposited for that school. Each additional school he adds is going to cost him $30 per school. If he doesn't get off the waitlist, then he can add more schools later at no penalty to him.

If you are applying for the first time, then go ahead, but you might want to be a little more selective based on what your score is.

If you apply early verification will probably take 3 weeks maybe sooner, but if you apply late it will take close to 6 weeks. These numbers are based on some of my friends and when they applied so the earlier the better.

I don't mean to be a Downer Debbie, but a 29 isn't too bad of a score. Do you think it may be beneficial to fix some other holes in your application? Everyone always says not to reapply with the same application. To me, changing your MCAT by a few points is not really changing your application.

I realize that wasn't your question, my apologies. I just wanted to make sure you are considering that.

i am. i've been working on some other things to, but in two of my five interviews, my low mcat was brought up as a weak point. also i applied late. any suggestions? i did get accepted to georgetown's smp but i don't know if i should go...