American AEGD & Canadian GPR Programs (2021)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ApplicationTrismus

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I am currently an Australian dental student looking to pursue an American AEGD or Canadian GPR program in 2021, any information on program exposure (beyond what is available online) would be greatly appreciated. To clarify, I am not looking for licensure within the United States, mainly seeking more clinical experience & evidence-based didactic knowledge in lieu of this Covid-19 situation.

Thank you and stay safe!

Members don't see this ad.

Do a program that is affiliated with a dental school. GPR and AEGD's are very different in nature. Make sure you know what you are getting into. Are you planning on specializing?

Firstly, I appreciate your response!

I was definitely intending on applying to programs affiliated with dental schools and I do understand the major differences. I prefer a GPR, but the reason I am considering American AEGDs is due to limitations on international graduates being accepted to American GPRs - licensure requirements. One of the motivations for wanting to complete a GPR or AEGD is specializing - Pediatrics.

If you have any insight on GPR or AEGD programs, I would love to hear it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello Everyone,

I am currently an Australian dental student looking to pursue an American AEGD or Canadian GPR program in 2021, any information on program exposure (beyond what is available online) would be greatly appreciated. To clarify, I am not looking for licensure within the United States, mainly seeking more clinical experience & evidence-based didactic knowledge in lieu of this Covid-19 situation.

Thank you and stay safe!
Hello, i will like to ask when you’ll be done with Dental school?as it will guide me in giving you appropriate advice.

What pediatric dental schools are you interested in? Do many accept foreign graduates?

What pediatric dental schools are you interested in? Do many accept foreign graduates?

It's a potential goal in the future, many programs do not accept foreign graduates, but I would love to gain some pediatric experience in an AEGD or GPR.

Reactions: 1 user
It's a potential goal in the future, many programs do not accept foreign graduates, but I would love to gain some pediatric experience in an AEGD or GPR.
Do you have any in mind? My friend is about to start dental school in Australia and has a similar goal to yours

Do you have any in mind? My friend is about to start dental school in Australia and has a similar goal to yours
My advice to your friend would be to consider completing a US or Canadian dental degree, alternatively completing a 2 year international dentist program after completing an Australian degree, if intending on specializing.

My advice to your friend would be to consider completing a US or Canadian dental degree, alternatively completing a 2 year international dentist program after completing an Australian degree, if intending on specializing.
Why? Is it really hard to get into a specialty with just an Australian degree?

Firstly, I appreciate your response!

I was definitely intending on applying to programs affiliated with dental schools and I do understand the major differences. I prefer a GPR, but the reason I am considering American AEGDs is due to limitations on international graduates being accepted to American GPRs - licensure requirements. One of the motivations for wanting to complete a GPR or AEGD is specializing - Pediatrics.

If you have any insight on GPR or AEGD programs, I would love to hear it.
I would look into programs that have a pediatric program affiliated to it since that will give you an edge in applications for specialty at that school. Best thing you can do is to contact program directors directly. They can give you more information, since sometimes the information may be different than what is listed on the website.

I would look into programs that have a pediatric program affiliated to it since that will give you an edge in applications for specialty at that school. Best thing you can do is to contact program directors directly. They can give you more information, since sometimes the information may be different than what is listed on the website.

Hi there, I am also interested in applying to a GPR program but specifically in Canada. Could you share whether you have completed a GPR or AEGD program? And was this in Canada or the states? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the Florida part is inaccurate... you cant do aspecialty and then practice in florida?
Please read the requirements in the Florida board of dentistry. they have stated that if you finish two years full time program from CODA accredited dental school you are eligible

Please read the requirements in the Florida board of dentistry. they have stated that if you finish two years full time program from CODA accredited dental school you are eligible
Yes but you cant do a 3 year specialty in like perio and get licenced. It says you can in the video you posted

I think this thread is for american AEGD and canadian GPR isnt it?
Yes it is. And what you posted has nothing to do with USA and Canada licensure. Otherwise there are a bunch of errors in it...

Yes it is. And what you posted has nothing to do with USA and Canada licensure. Otherwise there are a bunch of errors in it...
It does because the original OP said they studied in australia which makes them a foreign grad. But there are still errors in it

It does because the original OP said they studied in australia which makes them a foreign grad. But there are still errors in it
Yes this I considered. But international education outside of US and Canada is one difference and the other is also if one is a citizen of somewhere other than the US or Canada. Being a citizen or somewhere else limits you greatly on your ability to obtain a visa and even get a job.

Hello Everyone,

Thank you and stay safe!
Hello Friend,
I would suggest to apply in Eastman Institute of Oral health program (EIOH) for the AEGD. The program is an outstanding and accept Foreign trained dentist plus EIOH also has Pedo speciality. You can apply for both program from beginning. For more information look it into this link
Good luck and hope it helps