An excellent read for the Anti-URM peeps (or anyone else)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's the choice of target that makes for really brilliant flaming. The SJW movement is such a real phenomenon that you can go to town saying outrageous stuff and even the veterans take a minute to realize it's satire

Naw, Noomm is really being himself

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Oops sorry @Noomm . Thought I saw you admit to trolling in that other URM thread (I know this is so specific right?)

I come back and this thread is still going..

Members don't see this ad :)
image.jpg

I might as well post a dragon pic before the thread gets locked...

Reactions: 1 users
Oops sorry @Noomm . Thought I saw you admit to trolling in that other URM thread (I know this is so specific right?)
I honestly haven't trolled at all on this forum to my knowledge.

Members don't see this ad :)
@StudyLater , I thought you were serious back there :laugh:
your argument made more sense than many of the ones on here

speaking of which, how are you off probation

I don't even know! I realized when I logged on today. Apparently mercy was taken. And you gotta admit, I really never should have been put on anyway.

I don't even know! I realized when I logged on today. Apparently mercy was taken. And you gotta admit, I really never should have been put on anyway.
huh. Well I hope you're sorry for disrupting the serene and peaceful environment of sdn with your dirty mouth

huh. Well I hope you're sorry for disrupting the serene and peaceful environment of sdn with your dirty mouth

Yes ma'am. I intend to be perfectly well behaved in the future.

The different aspects of one's life do not evolve in sealed compartments. If your boss sexually harasses you at work, it's likely that your productivity will suffer from it (because you will become anxious, paranoid, etc). And it might very well put a stress on your family life too, because like it or not every element of your life is interlinked.

It's very easy to see how racism can influence -negatively or positively- one's academic performance too. If you have to work longer hours at your job to support yourself because institutional racism means you earn less $/hour than your white counterpart (fictitious situation - I don't actually know if it's any true), it means you have less time to study for class. If you're anxious to go to class because you are regularly yelled racial slurs at by fratboys on campus, it might restrict your ability to concentrate during class and exams, or you ability to attend class period, and restricts your work spaces (if you need to avoid the library for such reasons, e.g.). If your teacher is a neonazi who teaches in his/her history class that the Holocaust never occurred, a Jewish student might not feel inclined to support such claims in their work/exams, and thus suffer academically (or have to drop out).

It might seem far-fetched (especially the last example), yet it is a reality for many minority students in the country.

I took a Womanist theology course a few years ago as an elective. For those of you who don't know what it is - google it - the name isn't intuitive. I was the only non-black person in the entire class, and we had some very interesting discussions. I learned a TREMENDOUS amount of information regarding the Black culture and how they perceive and handle everyday life in America.

Every day I would hear anecdotes from the various class members as they attempted to help me understand what life was like for a Black American. One of the largest recurring themes I saw during our discussions involved differences in perception - it was fascinating. For example, one of the Black women in the class told me: "How would you feel if the cashier at a store refused to even touch your hand when handing you your change back?" This statement was met with a lot of "mmm hmm", obviously indicating that this was a fairly universal phenomenon among the other classmates. This shocked me, because my immediate thought was "This happens to me all the time!" I had never thought anything of it, because I too don't enjoy rubbing hands with every stranger I meet. If I had been that cashier, I would've tried to avoid making contact (as much as possible without making it awkward) with every customer I met.

This is interesting because two different races of people had two completely different perspectives on why something happened. One group chalked it up to bias/racism, while the other group chalked it up to normal behavior / logic (i.e. I don't want germs) / chance (sometimes your hands touch, sometimes they don't - who really pays attention to this anyhow?). An incident so minute, so small, so "insignificant" could make the world of difference.

This did two things for me:

1. It made me hyper-aware of touching minorities hands for a while. Any time I had even the slightest expectation of making skin contact, you bet I was all over that. In all seriousness though, it made me realize how my actions (actions that are inconsequential to me) could be perceived as rude by other races, even when I had no bad intentions. This, in my mind, presents an important ethical question: am I expected to change my behavior in these sorts of scenarios? I'm not sure. Thoughts? If you think no, does your answer change as a physician treating patients?

2. It made me realize that a huge part of racism is perception - you see what you want to see. I explained that a lot of the scenarios that my classmates were presenting were likely not induced by racism or the color of their skin, and even people like myself also frequently experienced similar treatment. The difference? Perception.

For the record, I'm not trying to say all of these experiences are not real and/or not merited. However, a large number of them probably are.

This presents us all with a personal choice - how do you want to live life? Do we want to constantly be searching for negative reasons that make us feel bad? Do we want to give people the benefit of the doubt or assume the worst? For you Christian folk out there, think about how Christianity would handle this problem. There are many things in life that are not in our control, but our attitude isn't one of them. We're all guilty of putting the blame on others from time to time - it makes life more tolerable. But if we get into a habit of seeing bad things all over the place - especially when there's no real, good reason to think this way - we need to take a step back and question our masochism. (This is similar to getting jealous of a significant other when there's absolutely no logical reason to be jealous - the feeling builds and builds, for no reason other than the fact that you're psyching yourself out).

You make your own happiness in this world. I think life is too short to go around assuming the worst about people. Even if people do do something that is almost undoubtedly an intentional judgmental, rude, or racist action - assume the best. Don't do it for them, do it for you.

"The most important decision you make is to be in a good mood." Voltaire

More likely YourBoss claimed troll status to save the embarrassment of his arguments. Sounded more like a high schooler than an undergrad. Wouldn't be the first time I've seen this happen.

More likely YourBoss claimed troll status to save the embarrassment of his arguments. Sounded more like a high schooler than an undergrad. Wouldn't be the first time I've seen this happen.

And womb raider comes in with a sucker punch blow to the jaw! I think it's all over folks!

UulrJ52.gif

I took a Womanist theology course a few years ago as an elective. For those of you who don't know what it is - google it - the name isn't intuitive. I was the only non-black person in the entire class, and we had some very interesting discussions. I learned a TREMENDOUS amount of information regarding the Black culture and how they perceive and handle everyday life in America.

Every day I would hear anecdotes from the various class members as they attempted to help me understand what life was like for a Black American. One of the largest recurring themes I saw during our discussions involved differences in perception - it was fascinating. For example, one of the Black women in the class told me: "How would you feel if the cashier at a store refused to even touch your hand when handing you your change back?" This statement was met with a lot of "mmm hmm", obviously indicating that this was a fairly universal phenomenon among the other classmates. This shocked me, because my immediate thought was "This happens to me all the time!" I had never thought anything of it, because I too don't enjoy rubbing hands with every stranger I meet. If I had been that cashier, I would've tried to avoid making contact (as much as possible without making it awkward) with every customer I met.

This is interesting because two different races of people had two completely different perspectives on why something happened. One group chalked it up to bias/racism, while the other group chalked it up to normal behavior / logic (i.e. I don't want germs) / chance (sometimes your hands touch, sometimes they don't - who really pays attention to this anyhow?). An incident so minute, so small, so "insignificant" could make the world of difference.

This did two things for me:

1. It made me hyper-aware of touching minorities hands for a while. Any time I had even the slightest expectation of making skin contact, you bet I was all over that. In all seriousness though, it made me realize how my actions (actions that are inconsequential to me) could be perceived as rude by other races, even when I had no bad intentions. This, in my mind, presents an important ethical question: am I expected to change my behavior in these sorts of scenarios? I'm not sure. Thoughts? If you think no, does your answer change as a physician treating patients?

2. It made me realize that a huge part of racism is perception - you see what you want to see. I explained that a lot of the scenarios that my classmates were presenting were likely not induced by racism or the color of their skin, and even people like myself also frequently experienced similar treatment. The difference? Perception.

For the record, I'm not trying to say all of these experiences are not real and/or not merited. However, a large number of them probably are.

This presents us all with a personal choice - how do you want to live life? Do we want to constantly be searching for negative reasons that make us feel bad? Do we want to give people the benefit of the doubt or assume the worst? For you Christian folk out there, think about how Christianity would handle this problem. There are many things in life that are not in our control, but our attitude isn't one of them. We're all guilty of putting the blame on others from time to time - it makes life more tolerable. But if we get into a habit of seeing bad things all over the place - especially when there's no real, good reason to think this way - we need to take a step back and question our masochism. (This is similar to getting jealous of a significant other when there's absolutely no logical reason to be jealous - the feeling builds and builds, for no reason other than the fact that you're psyching yourself out).

You make your own happiness in this world. I think life is too short to go around assuming the worst about people. Even if people do do something that is almost undoubtedly an intentional judgmental, rude, or racist action - assume the best. Don't do it for them, do it for you.

"The most important decision you make is to be in a good mood." Voltaire

:laugh:

I don't even know what to say. We create our own reality indeed.

This thread has gotten very boring.

*goes up to podium, drinks glass of water, clears throat*

@Womb Raider YOU, SIR, ARE RACIST. For your information, URMs do NOT have equal access to the kind of quality educations most ORMs do. And I know what you're thinking -- the internet. Oh sure, they could just google whatever they could possibly need to know -- well you're wrong!!! Because they don't have computers. And you know what else? THEY DON'T GET LIBRARIES TO ACCESS COMPUTERS because the white devil schools have taken all of the resources for the purpose of constructing Jamba Juices and Starbucks and whatever the hell else white people like. And even if they did have the internet, guess what? Being on the computer all day is not particularly conducive to a situation in which you need to work 16hrs/day to feed your family. ADDITIONALLY, studies show URMs get less sleep, have more STDs, eat fattier meals, are fatter, exercise less, abuse more drugs, and have a 5x greater incidence of mental health issues than do ORMs (no citation needed, because I said it). Why, you ask? Because their life is hell, and white people just don't care. A few spots at med school is the least you could possibly do.

Please just don't even respond. I know this post has shocked the ignorance out of you, and you now only desire to stay silent and let the truth be known.

Truth.

Edit: Also, I dont think that @YourFutureBoss was trolling. I think he has realized that they were off the deep end and are now trying to cover their posts up by saying "Oh by the way I was trolling you!" Look at how passionate and detailed he is about URM, and "white supremacy."

As FutureBoss started realizing how ridiculous his points were, he started slightly increase the "troll" on his posts until he made some blatant troll posts at the end of this thread which allowed @efle and @ZedsDed to pick up on.

Its a farce.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.