Anatomy as a Pre-Med?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kalu123

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been planning on taking anatomy over the summer. I'm Really excited to check out cadavers in lab, and sit at the beach memorizing body parts with note cards. I've heard from a couple friends that med schools actually don't like it when pre-meds take anatomy. Is this true? Should I not take the class?

Members don't see this ad.

ask yourself, why in god's name would it be bad for a premed to take a course that is relevant to medical school material?

The right answer to this question is who cares? Will people please stop doing things only to get into medical school? Do something you like for a change: you'll be surprised by how much fun it actually is.
And by the way, I am majoring in Anatomy.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been planning on taking anatomy over the summer. I'm Really excited to check out cadavers in lab, and sit at the beach memorizing body parts with note cards. I've heard from a couple friends that med schools actually don't like it when pre-meds take anatomy. Is this true? Should I not take the class?

I get excited to check out body parts on the beach too, but none of them are on notecards

The strange thing is that the kind of anatomy that you take in College might be better than the anatomy you take in medical school. In College, there is more time to get into some the small details.

The argument against not taking anatomy before medical school is that is will be redundant for the most part and that you should take other courses now when you still can.

The argument for it is that anatomy experience will make anatomy in medical school easier and let you get that nice 'A' that you can leverage while going for competitive residencies.

I held the 'against' argument pretty strongly for a while, but then I got a little beat up in anatomy, so I'm not so sure anymore.

If taking anatomy over the summer sounds fun to you, go ahead and do it. I can only help and most certainly will not hurt.

the bio dept at my school actually doesnt let bio majors take any anatomy except comparative vertebrate anatomy (horrible experience here, i made that mistake...). They tell us that med schools dont want us coming in with any "prior knowledge" in human anatomy that they would then have to correct while teaching us "the right stuff" in their anatomy.

It all sounds like total crap to me, and most students here really dont understand the dept's position.

Those who took anatomy during undergrad tended to do better during Anatomy in Medical school than those who hadn't. Since that's my weakest area I kind of wish I took it. On the other hand the students who took advanced Physiology classes in undergrad tended to do better during all of second year so if you are choosing between the two of them then definitely go with physio.