Anesthesiology interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

in dismay

Reaction score
Hi guys, I sent out my application on September 15th, haven't heard anything so far. I was wondering if Anesthesiology usually sends out interviews only in November or have people already started receiving interviews?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys, I sent out my application on September 15th, haven't heard anything so far. I was wondering if Anesthesiology usually sends out interviews only in November or have people already started receiving interviews?

I'm not applying Anesthesia, but if I was sitting at zero interviews for any specialty right now, I'd be extremely concerned. You may want to start looking at adding backup programs in family medicine or community IM. As far as I have seen and heard from my friends, gas has sent out a significant amount of interviews and most of what will be coming is from cancellations.

Reactions: 3 users
What are your stats OP. Also did you forward your photo, USMLE/COMLEX, etc?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have current friends applying to anesthesia who have multiple invites (on 90ish apps for reference), its time for plan B.

Thanks so much for responding, now I know where I stand!!! I am a DO student and have sent out both USMLE and COMLEX scores. I hope we are on the same page, I am certainly not talking about MD students.

Thanks so much for responding, now I know where I stand!!! I am a DO student and have sent out both USMLE and COMLEX scores. I hope we are on the same page, I am certainly not talking about MD students.
We are talking about do students

Yeah this subgroup is always DO.
I’m not one to help you, but it’s important to give your USMLE, CoMLEX, and any possible red flags you have so the people can guide you better. Good luck!

Can we get stats on OP? I’ve been told gas averages are misleading and they’ll interview with much lower stats right now. Hearing stories of people with sub 220 getting lots of love.

Can we get stats on OP? I’ve been told gas averages are misleading and they’ll interview with much lower stats right now. Hearing stories of people with sub 220 getting lots of love.
I don't know about 'lots' but I know someone in this category who has multi invites. However he was much closer to the Step II average when he took it, so he had improvement.

DO, <220/>240 at 10 invites. Mind you I'm not interviewing at MGH or Hopkins ;) but <220 is still doable as a DO for gas.

Reactions: 2 users
Congrats dude. I’m glad that things are working out well for you.
Thanks man. I was pretty nervous going into this process but surprised at how things are going. Definitely am fortunate. Just wanna give some people hope.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks man. I was pretty nervous going into this process but surprised at how things are going. Definitely am fortunate. Just wanna give some people hope.
This warms my soul. I am married with a ton of kids, so poor, so tired, I just want the best for my family and although I’m a decent student, that looming idea that I’m gonna fall short and be up a creek is just terrifying. So when I see “normal” students making their dreams come true it really lifts my spirits.

Reactions: 1 user
This warms my soul. I am married with a ton of kids, so poor, so tired, I just want the best for my family and although I’m a decent student, that looming idea that I’m gonna fall short and be up a creek is just terrifying. So when I see “normal” students making their dreams come true it really lifts my spirits.
Full disclosure... I worked pretty damn hard for those 10 interviews. If you (or anyone else) want some advice I'm cool with dishing it out. Feel free to shoot me a PM.

DO, <220/>240 at 10 invites. Mind you I'm not interviewing at MGH or Hopkins ;) but <220 is still doable as a DO for gas.
I agree. Have a student with very good app and mid 240s on Step 1 applying to west coast and upper tier programs. Not feeling the love, but has one interview so far. I think a lot depends on where you apply. Always have a plan B no matter how good you think your app looks.

I agree. Have a student with very good app and mid 240s on Step 1 applying to west coast and upper tier programs. Not feeling the love, but has one interview so far. I think a lot depends on where you apply. Always have a plan B no matter how good you think your app looks.
Absolutely. I was realistic about where I applied. Applied to zero upper tier programs. I’ve landed some nice mid tier programs though. If you can make up for a lackluster step 1 with a nice step 2, great clinical grades, awesome LORs, and maybe an away or two (3-4 if a DO) then you’ll be comfortable come match day.

looks like Anesthesia is out of the picture for me(, no interviews so far )any idea how people get into it once you are done with Internal Medicine Residency?

looks like Anesthesia is out of the picture for me(, no interviews so far )any idea how people get into it once you are done with Internal Medicine Residency?
I think you could, but most people won't. How broad are you applying? Another 3k towards 100 more apps would be money well spent IMO at this juncture.

I think you could, but most people won't. How broad are you applying? Another 3k towards 100 more apps would be money well spent IMO at this juncture.

It's pretty late to be honest, and we don't know anything about OPs stats. I don't think this would yield much difference at this point in time.

I can't imagine it would be any easier matching this way, probably much harder. Do you really think it would be worth it to be in residency at least seven years just to become a gas doc? Why not find an easy way out through IM.

Hard to comment intelligently when OP has not been forthcoming about stats, how many programs applied to, etc.

Apply to surgical prelims and some medicine prelims where you have connections. Backup plan is do a prelim year and apply for PGY-2 spots next year but you’re going to need to network like hell.