another...asking advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

turnerm

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently took the MCAT and results were totally not what I expect (very low score in VR - I think, I may have messed up my answer sheet, because it was very, very much lower than the practice test scores I recieved when studying for it). I am planning on retaking it in August. Should I go ahead and turn my application in anyway? Or should I wait till I get the results of my next test? (I released my the results of my first test on test day).
Thanks for your suggestions.

Members don't see this ad.

Turnerm,

It's hard to say until we know what your other scores are and what your science and over all GPAs are. We also need to know about your hospital experience. These are the things that the med school admissions committees will consider when they review your application. It's hard to give competant and good advice without all the info. Post again with the info above (if possible) and I'll do my best to point you in the right direction.

My verbal score on my first MCAT was also low,(a six), so I was in the same boat as you. I called my first choice school (OSU-COM) and asked them pretty much the same question as you are asking. They told me that when someone applies that will be retaking the MCAT, they work up the file as much as they can but don't consider it until they receive the second MCAT scores. They told me to go ahead and have all of my letters, transcripts and other stuff sent as soon as possible so that when those grades come in they can look at a complete file. By the way, they received my second MCAT scores at the end of November and I got an interview for the first of December. I improved my MCAT from a 6V 8P 8B to a 7V 8P 10B and was accepted. So even if you don't improve your score a whole bunch, don't count yourself out.