Another "Surprising Six Figure" bullcrap Yahoo article

Started by ValeRx
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

i loled at this. the author said that pharmacists give "advise" .... i think she meant advice. shocking writing skills
 
Most pharmacy schools also don't require a bachelor's (yet), unless the article was referring to the BS Pharmacy degrees that you can't get anymore. Either way... it's wrong.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
when you guys refer to the grim future of pharmacy are you guys solely referring to retail or other walks of pharmacy?
 
There's going to be a boost in insured patients in the near future, so prescription count will definitely go up. Whether or not the chains meet this demand by building more stores or simply squeezing current ones remains to be seen.
 
There's going to be a boost in insured patients in the near future, so prescription count will definitely go up. Whether or not the chains meet this demand by building more stores or simply squeezing current ones remains to be seen.

Based on my experiences at a certain retail grocery store pharmacy they will simply let script counts go through the roof while not adding any additional tech/pharmacist/intern hours and let them scramble. Despite >1 hour wait times and shortening tempers they will maintain their maximum profit mantra while running you into the ground.
 
when you guys refer to the grim future of pharmacy are you guys solely referring to retail or other walks of pharmacy?

Pretty much all areas of pharmacy are affected. Hospital pharmacy is getting to be an extremely difficult area to be employed in. Residency is required in most cases (except rural areas where few people want to live) and they didn't choose to hire most of the residents in my area this year. Since most hospitals are much less likely to hire newly minted residents that didn't train at their hospital, the hospital pharmacy world may be an extremely difficult one to break into for new graduates.

Finishing a grueling 1-year resident and then not able to find a job in hospital pharmacy sounds pretty terrible. It is happening all over the country this year. I know many of the people in the graduating class 1 year ahead of me have had to settle into the unwanted positions at Walgreens and Rite-Aid. They were the lucky ones that actually could find a job in the area. The market is getting flooded with so many new graduates (especially with all the new schools) that is getting really, really competitive to get a good job.

I am currently making a backup plan when I graduate next year to work in a rural area where there are still jobs available.
 
Not a small number of new grads are doing residencies, not because they want to, but because it's their best chance of having a job other than the one they have now, waiting tables or whatever.
 
Pretty much all areas of pharmacy are affected. Hospital pharmacy is getting to be an extremely difficult area to be employed in. Residency is required in most cases (except rural areas where few people want to live) and they didn't choose to hire most of the residents in my area this year. Since most hospitals are much less likely to hire newly minted residents that didn't train at their hospital, the hospital pharmacy world may be an extremely difficult one to break into for new graduates.

Finishing a grueling 1-year resident and then not able to find a job in hospital pharmacy sounds pretty terrible. It is happening all over the country this year. I know many of the people in the graduating class 1 year ahead of me have had to settle into the unwanted positions at Walgreens and Rite-Aid. They were the lucky ones that actually could find a job in the area. The market is getting flooded with so many new graduates (especially with all the new schools) that is getting really, really competitive to get a good job.

I am currently making a backup plan when I graduate next year to work in a rural area where there are still jobs available.


It's probably why the military and government health appears to be filling up easier than years past. Which sucks because that's always been my goal to get into while for others it is their 2nd or 3rd choices. I'd take free experience with a paycut over residency any day haha.
 
Pretty much all areas of pharmacy are affected. Hospital pharmacy is getting to be an extremely difficult area to be employed in. Residency is required in most cases (except rural areas where few people want to live) and they didn't choose to hire most of the residents in my area this year. Since most hospitals are much less likely to hire newly minted residents that didn't train at their hospital, the hospital pharmacy world may be an extremely difficult one to break into for new graduates.

Finishing a grueling 1-year resident and then not able to find a job in hospital pharmacy sounds pretty terrible. It is happening all over the country this year. I know many of the people in the graduating class 1 year ahead of me have had to settle into the unwanted positions at Walgreens and Rite-Aid. They were the lucky ones that actually could find a job in the area. The market is getting flooded with so many new graduates (especially with all the new schools) that is getting really, really competitive to get a good job.

I am currently making a backup plan when I graduate next year to work in a rural area where there are still jobs available.

so you're telling me that to get a staff pharmacist position at a hospital as opposed to a clinical position requires a residency? that doesn't sound right to me.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
so you're telling me that to get a staff pharmacist position at a hospital as opposed to a clinical position requires a residency? that doesn't sound right to me.

Staff hospital pharmacy positions have become very difficult to obtain. You have to remember that there is a large surplus of residency trained pharmacists who can't find work right now. If they can't find clinical jobs, they will begin applying for all the staff positions. This process has already happened. With so many residency trained pharmacists applying for staff positions, the bar for hiring increases.

The problem is becoming worse than you can imagine. I recently went to conference in California. Many hospitals are beginning to hire only PGY2-trained pharmacists-- this includes the staff positions. One director told me they only hire PGY1 residents if they trained at their hospital.

I already mentioned the catch-22: hospitals have largely not been hiring the current crop of PGY1 residents who will finish this year. These residents have been feeling 'stuck.' They are unlikely to find work at other local hospitals, so their only options are to apply for a PGY2 residency or expand their net of where they will work. The traditional cycle was that hospitals would hire approximately 75% of their residents. But this year has seen many hospitals hiring 0% of their residents.

I know of 2 residents in the VA system who were offered an outpatient job after their residency. That has got to be the worst job offer ever as they could easily work a retail job and make more money than what the VA pays.

The residency game is not paying off the way our school administrators would like us to think.
 
ar123994518520346.jpg
 
I know of 2 residents in the VA system who were offered an outpatient job after their residency. That has got to be the worst job offer ever as they could easily work a retail job and make more money than what the VA pays.

I wouldn't say the worst. Sure, retail pays more, but at least if you work for the VA while paying back loans they're forgiven after ten years. It's a pretty good deal if someone has a lot of debt after school.
 
I wouldn't say the worst. Sure, retail pays more, but at least if you work for the VA while paying back loans they're forgiven after ten years. It's a pretty good deal if someone has a lot of debt after school.

Are you referring to Public Service Loan Forgiveness, or does the VA have its own program? If you are talking about PSLF, doesn't this
1) apply only to federal loans and not private loans
and 2) work for any "public service" job, which would include the majority of hospital jobs since the majority of hospitals are either non-profit or run by local/state/federal government? (I don't really like the idea of working for a for-profit hospital anyway...)
 
Are you referring to Public Service Loan Forgiveness, or does the VA have its own program? If you are talking about PSLF, doesn't this
1) apply only to federal loans and not private loans
and 2) work for any "public service" job, which would include the majority of hospital jobs since the majority of hospitals are either non-profit or run by local/state/federal government? (I don't really like the idea of working for a for-profit hospital anyway...)

Yes, that's what I'm talking about. It does only apply to federal loans from what I understand, but it does not apply to most hospitals. It's more complex than simply working for something non-profit. It has to be a 501(c)(3) organization, and that doesn't include most hospitals. There are other opportunities besides the VA though (such as IHS, CDC, FDA).
 
Yes, that's what I'm talking about. It does only apply to federal loans from what I understand, but it does not apply to most hospitals. It's more complex than simply working for something non-profit. It has to be a 501(c)(3) organization, and that doesn't include most hospitals. There are other opportunities besides the VA though (such as IHS, CDC, FDA).

I would imagine state and county jobs would count too?
 
Yes, that's what I'm talking about. It does only apply to federal loans from what I understand, but it does not apply to most hospitals. It's more complex than simply working for something non-profit. It has to be a 501(c)(3) organization, and that doesn't include most hospitals. There are other opportunities besides the VA though (such as IHS, CDC, FDA).

Actually, yes it does include most hospitals. Most (especially those that have religious affiliations) are ran by nonprofit entities. All hospitals in the Tulsa metro are qualifying employers.
 
Actually, yes it does include most hospitals. Most (especially those that have religious affiliations) are ran by nonprofit entities. All hospitals in the Tulsa metro are qualifying employers.


mmm yeah.. because we all want to go live in Tulsa.
 
Actually, yes it does include most hospitals. Most (especially those that have religious affiliations) are ran by nonprofit entities. All hospitals in the Tulsa metro are qualifying employers.

Really? Because I work at a government funded hospital and was told it wouldn't qualify if I ever came back to work here, so I assumed it must be really hard for a hospital to qualify. Maybe I was told wrong. :shrug:
 
👎 yea! Let's bury our heads in the sand and pretend it will all be okay!

We have to be realistic. I'm currently preparing to apply for residencies this winter and the outlook is kind of bleak. It is a good thing to be aware of the facts. Is it really worth it to take a a huge pay cut and finish a residency when I may not be guaranteed a job at the end of it? If I am lucky enough to actually get a residency in the area I want, there is still a strong probability that I would have to move elsewhere afterwords to find a job. I have talked to residents at 5 hospitals in my area-- not a single one of them has been offered a job this year. This has never happened before. Some of them are freaking out because they don't know how they will pay their bills when they finish in another month. People should be aware that this trend is nationwide. It is much better to be aware of how bad the hiring freezes are in the hospital world before one actually applies for a residency...

I more than likely have a decent job lined up in retail. I would surely be interested in exploring residencies, but this may not be the best time to do it. The market is getting pretty bad out there and people need to prepare. But some people choose not to see it.

This thread is not just my opinion. The dean at our school has openly told our class that many of us may struggle to find a job next year. He told us all to take our rotations extremely seriously as we all need every edge we can have to get employed.
 
Really? Because I work at a government funded hospital and was told it wouldn't qualify if I ever came back to work here, so I assumed it must be really hard for a hospital to qualify. Maybe I was told wrong. :shrug:

I think that you should do your own research on your current employer. In my experience, many people are uneducated about the criteria of PSLF and like to spout stuff off. Hell, even our financial aid department got it wrong at exit interviews and had to be corrected. I would do my own research. ANY non profit (recognized) or government OWNED agency qualifies.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
We have to be realistic. I'm currently preparing to apply for residencies this winter and the outlook is kind of bleak. It is a good thing to be aware of the facts. Is it really worth it to take a a huge pay cut and finish a residency when I may not be guaranteed a job at the end of it? If I am lucky enough to actually get a residency in the area I want, there is still a strong probability that I would have to move elsewhere afterwords to find a job. I have talked to residents at 5 hospitals in my area-- not a single one of them has been offered a job this year. This has never happened before. Some of them are freaking out because they don't know how they will pay their bills when they finish in another month. People should be aware that this trend is nationwide. It is much better to be aware of how bad the hiring freezes are in the hospital world before one actually applies for a residency...

I more than likely have a decent job lined up in retail. I would surely be interested in exploring residencies, but this may not be the best time to do it. The market is getting pretty bad out there and people need to prepare. But some people choose not to see it.

This thread is not just my opinion. The dean at our school has openly told our class that many of us may struggle to find a job next year. He told us all to take our rotations extremely seriously as we all need every edge we can have to get employed.

I don't think residencies are a waste of time if someone has a strong desire to work in certain areas that almost always explicitly or implicitly require a residency. Even if it doesn't guarantee a job, I hear it's much easier to do one immediately after graduation than trying to go back into training after you've been working in the 'real world' and decide you want to branch out and have more options. If doing a residency means I might get a job in an field I'll enjoy, and not doing one means I'll probably never qualify for those kinds of jobs, I'll play their residency game.
 
I don't think residencies are a waste of time if someone has a strong desire to work in certain areas that almost always explicitly or implicitly require a residency. Even if it doesn't guarantee a job, I hear it's much easier to do one immediately after graduation than trying to go back into training after you've been working in the 'real world' and decide you want to branch out and have more options. If doing a residency means I might get a job in an field I'll enjoy, and not doing one means I'll probably never qualify for those kinds of jobs, I'll play their residency game.

I can only speak for myself.

I would not have the position I have without my residencies.
 
That's pretty much true. Look at any job posting for a clinical pharmacist. Most require PGY-1 if not PGY-2 in certain circumstances.

i know a clinical pharmacy position requires a residency. but i thought a staff pharmacy position didn't.

I don't think residencies are a waste of time if someone has a strong desire to work in certain areas that almost always explicitly or implicitly require a residency. Even if it doesn't guarantee a job, I hear it's much easier to do one immediately after graduation than trying to go back into training after you've been working in the 'real world' and decide you want to branch out and have more options. If doing a residency means I might get a job in an field I'll enjoy, and not doing one means I'll probably never qualify for those kinds of jobs, I'll play their residency game.

completely agree
 
i know a clinical pharmacy position requires a residency. but i thought a staff pharmacy position didn't.

They don't... yet. My hospital hired a couple new pharmacists straight out of school last summer. However, I think that might change as more people with PGY-1 and even PGY-2 can't find clinical jobs and apply for the staff positions. A hospital might not flat out require a residency, but if most of your competition has a year or two under their belt it could end up becoming an unofficial requirement.